United Maritime Group?

This ATB, the Coastal 101/Pat Cantrell is owned by the United Maritime Group but I can’t seem to find anything on the company…

They clearly exist, as evidenced by the above photograph, but as best I can tell they are a ghost company. Anyone know anything about them?

The Betty Wood use to be owned by Gulfcoast Transit and TECO.

[QUOTE=AHTS Master;147346]The Betty Wood use to be owned by Gulfcoast Transit and TECO.[/QUOTE]

Did she have the Artubar lock system?

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;147343]This ATB, the Coastal 101/Pat Cantrell is owned by the United Maritime Group but I can’t seem to find anything on the company…

They clearly exist, as evidenced by the above photograph, but as best I can tell they are a ghost company. Anyone know anything about them?[/QUOTE]

Gulf Coast Transit … then TECO … then UMG.

UMG no longer exists. It was bought by Int’l Shipholding Corp in 2011or 12. ISC USA flag vessels are Waterman, Central Gulf, Energy Enterprise and Sulphur Carriers, and they kept United Ocean Services operator name for prior UMG vessels. MMP/MEBA/SIU.

if you have questions about jobs on the tug/barge units, call LMS ship mgmt in Mobile.

it’s all union now, but they have hard time filling mate jobs on those tugs/barges b/c of towing ednorsement

Here is the address of the current registered owner:

U S UNITED OCEAN SERVICES LLC
601 S HARBOUR ISLAND SUITE 200
TAMPA, FL 33602

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;147349]Gulf Coast Transit … then TECO … then UMG.

UMG no longer exists. It was bought by Int’l Shipholding Corp in 2011or 12. ISC USA flag vessels are Waterman, Central Gulf, Energy Enterprise and Sulphur Carriers, and they kept United Ocean Services operator name for prior UMG vessels. MMP/MEBA/SIU.

if you have questions about jobs on the tug/barge units, call LMS ship mgmt in Mobile.

it’s all union now, but they have hard time filling mate jobs on those tugs/barges b/c of towing ednorsement[/QUOTE]

Thanks Johnny, that makes much more sense now. They’re just such a low-key organization I wanted to know more about them. Under “Available Shipboard Positions” on their website it says they ship on a “per-voyage” basis through the unions (MEBA, MMP, and SIU). Per voyage through the unions!? Screw that!

I worked for UOS for 2 years and thought they were a great company and for most part good people. They just needed some newer ships. Haven’t heard anything positive since being sold and going union.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;147374]Thanks Johnny, that makes much more sense now. They’re just such a low-key organization I wanted to know more about them. Under “Available Shipboard Positions” on their website it says they ship on a “per-voyage” basis through the unions (MEBA, MMP, and SIU). Per voyage through the unions!? Screw that![/QUOTE]

unless you’ve really tried it, don’t knock it. MMP and MEBA are the same for rotary jobs (jr officers) ; permanent positions are only for sr officers. the mates and engineers on the UMG vessels who chose to stay kept their jobs. there is certainly wording on exactly how those jobs were retained by those company employees when they ended up joining MMP/MEBA (even if not by choice). it’s not as if all of a sudden MEBA and MMP had 2 bulkers and 3 or 4 tugs/barges to man. As far as I can tell, the only openings that happened (initially) were b/c some of those mates/engineers simply decided to retire. Some of them were likely mariners who actually had already retired from American Trading and Transport and then got hired by TECO when Gulf Coast Transit decided to buy a few bulkers and had to go shopping for licenses.

If things go to crap in the GOM, I can easily go back there without missing a step.

Its not a bad outfit. And the rotations are 30/30. MMP usually posts the jobs in the New Orleans or Tampa halls. MEBA-Tampa.

Ha…Sailing through the north wall of Ike in '08 on that beast (BW/PC)…was a real treat!!

[QUOTE=seadog6608;147409]Its not a bad outfit. And the rotations are 30/30. MMP usually posts the jobs in the New Orleans or Tampa halls. MEBA-Tampa.[/QUOTE]

These ar MMP Offshore jobs which require a full unlimited license, plus master or mate of towing?

[QUOTE=tugsailor;147447]These ar MMP Offshore jobs which require a full unlimited license, plus master or mate of towing?[/QUOTE]

I don’ t know, you could give the Tampa hall a call or call UOS. I don’t know why you would need a U/L license. I can tell you that when jobs go unfilled they get very motivated to ship someone as they have a contractual agreement with the company to fill the jobs.

well us shipping atb’s (and office) somehow require an unlimited license.

[QUOTE=z-drive;147462]well us shipping atb’s (and office) somehow require an unlimited license.[/QUOTE]

No surprise there. If that were not the case, it would not be MMP Offshore Division. That’s why they have a hard time filling the jobs, there are not so many unlimited license holders that also have master of towing. Then again, the pay is apparently also too low.

Those mates do zero boat handling. The captain runs the boat in & out of port along with 2 tugs & pilots.

Lol I know, it’s just something that irritates me. I’ve seen some “displays” with them and interport missing slack.

Some of the mates/capts I’ve worked with there have 1600 Ton licenses. I’m headed to the 101 Sunday.

Sounds like my kind of gig! :smiley:

They do cargo & paperwork. Heard when they arrange flights they will fly thru multiple airports to save a buck & crew change is a pain

What does “cargo” on a dry bulk ATB entail to be explicitly precise? Details, details, details…