United Maritime Group?

The last two posts reflect the situation as I see it. I’ve never heard a AB say “not in my contract”.

i’ve sailed with the NMU / SIU for a long time and I know the contract very well. I’ve never had major problems especially with a regular bosun, occasionally a relief bsn gets an attitude but most ABs recognize that if they cut me a little slack from time to time i’ll do the same.

Yes, LMS (UMG, TECO) has officers with limited tonnage licenses. Yes there is a ton of paperwork for the mates. The mate does “cargo”. Like Dirty Rodriguez said, ballast/deballast. keep the boat in trim. Keep an eye on the loader. We have a crop of good, steady A/B’s who take care of the bull work of turning the ballast valves etc. The Captains I’ve met here are good managers. Pretty good gig.

UMG once had a website where one could apply for a position. They even advertised open jobs with the company, then all of a certain it was no longer there. Don’t know what happened .

By the way, any offshore/oceans towing master (500 or more tonnage) interested in a delivery job PM me for more info.

[QUOTE=Tugs;147818]Back in the Day 333 had a pretty strict contract rules for working out of your area, Deck working in the ER and vise a versa. Well, I was the type of shipmate that always tried to lend a hand when needed even if I was not “called out” (Not O/T). I would always give anyone in the deck crew O/T if they came down to help out during repairs but one time I just needed a hand for about 2 minutes putting a powerpack back in it’s cradle. The AB said not problem and 5 minutes later we were drinking coffee in the Galley. Later that night he handed me a O/T sheet for an hour of O/T. I looked at it for a minute and signed it. The next day I am laying in my room (Off Watch) when he knocks on my door and says that we were going to be making up the push gear. I said cool and closed my door. A couple of minutes he knocked again, I did not even bother answering him that time. About 2 minutes later his O/T sheet came sliding under my door. I went right out and helped as I always did.

After we got done we talked about it and I told him that I had no problem giving out O/T and would still give him the hour that I had already signed for but he said “No, with all the help that you do for nothing that is the least that I could do for you”. He got the idea of that sometimes it is nice just to help out and not just do it for the O/T, especially if someone is helping out a lot without getting the penalty time. Not that it matters but I still sent in his hour of O/T with the payroll.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=seacap@large;147890]UMG once had a website where one could apply for a position. They even advertised open jobs with the company, then all of a certain it was no longer there. Don’t know what happened .

By the way, any offshore/oceans towing master (500 or more tonnage) interested in a delivery job PM me for more info.[/QUOTE]

They were bought by International Shipholding Corp (ISH). They also own Central Gulf, Waterman, the Energy Enterprise as well as a number of foreign flag ships. Their US flag ships are MEBA, MM&P. I am not sure but presume SIU is now the unlicensed crew for the UMG ships.

Nope. It’s SIU my friend.