Understanding Nav. General

I downloaded Bowditch as after searching the forums I found reference to people saying the answers to Nav. General were in Bowditch and Deck Gen./Safety are CFR.

So I took a question a Random question

What is the compass course of a vessel heading WSW
Eight points of a compass are equal to how many degrees

I did a acrobat search hoping that i would get some hits and I got nothing. I want to learn why the answer is what it is on some of these questions.

Is there a place that lists the questions and the Bowditch page that they can be found on?

I mean Sure I could read Bowditch Compass but it has 17 pages on that and I was looking for something that could narrow it down to the page or 2. As I plan on looking up a lot of questions.

I don’t have a Bowditch in front of me as I write this, but off the top of my head, I did have to draw it really quick, I know WSW is 247.5.

Make sure you have both Vol. 1 and 2 of Bowditch, and it’s really better to have a hard copy.

For points on a compass check the"Glossary of Marine Navigation" in the back of Bowditch under “point”.

Thanks I Do have a Hard copy of Bowditch: jdcavo Told me to buy it so I did.

I guess what I am trying to say is that i wish it would explain in detail on the Math on how to get the answers. Cause I still don’t fucking get how to get the answer lol. I guess I am going to have to get all the question in one post and pay some one to expain why it it is what it is.

I get what you mean. Some stuff like what you posted just becomes part of your memory and knowledge. Basically almost everything, I’d say 90% of the answers, can be found in Bowditch. It still might require some work on your part.Iit’s good to have a general familiarity, then if you need to reference something quickly, like the difference between a Spring Tide and a Neap Tide or something random, you can flip to it quickly.

I found that using the glossary for definitions in the back is what helped me the most. I don’t have one in front of me but say the definition compass point in the back says there are 32 points on the compass. Divide 360 by 32 and you get 11.5 degrees per point. Times that by 8 and you have your answer. Also when it comes to the clouds, read the question carefully and most of the time just look up the last cloud they give you and look that up in the back. It may say these clouds indicate heavy winds and rain. That is the answer. It doesn’t matter about all the other stuff they put in front about the weather changes, they are asking you what you can expect out of a certain cloud that is the sky now.

Like posted above also. Compass point bearing. You know south is 180 and west is 270. SW would be half of 90 degrees so 225. WSW would be half of 45 degrees or 22.5 = 225+22.5 coming out to 247.5.

Bowditch may not have the answer just right in your face but most of it is in the back plus you will have to use your light list book to answer quite a few also.

%100 gospel. Learn what you can look up and only study what you need to.

[QUOTE=AB Murph;186175]…Divide 360 by 32 and you get 11.5 degrees per point. Times that by 8 and you have your answer…[/QUOTE]
…your answer would be 92° !

360° / 32 = 11.25° >>> that corresponds to the real series 11.25 > 22.5 > 45 > 90 > 180 > 360

[QUOTE=Urs;186179]…your answer would be 92° !

360° / 32 = 11.25° >>> that corresponds to the real series 11.25 > 22.5 > 45 > 90 > 180 > 360[/QUOTE]

And I might add work all the problems twice before answering incase you hit the wrong # or leave a # out on the calculator. LOL!!!
Good catch Urs :slight_smile:

the test that i had 6 months ago was almost all stuff you can look up. unless you know exactly where to look use the back of the book. Definitions if they have it if not use the glossary. If neither repeat for similar terms or the general area of the book you expect it to be in. These are long test of 70 questions, if you study well you should be able to answer atleast half in a about 10 minutes then spend the other 2 hours 20 minutes looking up everything you arent 100% sure of. It is also a 70% test so if there are a few you can’t find you should guess its around a 50% shot since some answers are complete bogus

How sad is it that the focus is in knowing the minimum to pass the test, when the reality is a guy who can’t box a compass is going for his license.
What happened to being a knowledgeable mariner?

[QUOTE=Flyer69;186215]How sad is it that the focus is in knowing the minimum to pass the test, when the reality is a guy who can’t box a compass is going for his license.
What happened to being a knowledgeable mariner?[/QUOTE]

Exactly. This guy does not sound like he’s ready for Bowdich. He should start with something much more basic.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;186556]Exactly. This guy does not sound like he’s ready for Bowdich. He should start with something much more basic.[/QUOTE]

He’s an ab going for a mate’s license.self studying for that is pretty ambitious. You are right diving head first trying to learn navigation…I feel for him.
So, how about some suggestions to learn the basics first for him? Some folks have the touch for grasping concepts quick, some don’t. Don’t get discouraged Menizzi keep at it.

Although I’m not a deckie, I have found that they generally do love to teach and explain to someone who’s interested. Members of this forum are an excellent example of this generalization. Not everyone is a book-learner, and recognizing this is part of our tradition. If I wanted to know how to do something deckie-ish, I would ask one (before or after my shift, when he or she is on a peaceful part of their watch, with fresh cookies on a plate if possible). This technique has served me very well. For example: I am an excellent brass polisher, and I know MANY interesting ways to play with string. All thanks to my friendly deckie crewmates.

Table 2 on pg. 23 of Bowditch is called “Conversion of Compass Points to Degrees”. Pg. 4 gives a brief explanation of the table. Although not the easiest to read, you will see that Table 2 shows 1 compass point equal to 11 degrees, 15 minutes, which is equal to 11.25, or 11 1/4. The table also shows the points and angular measure for each cardinal direction, just don’t forget to convert the minutes and seconds to tenths (Divide minutes by 60).

Reading the Bowditch is not easy, but if learned, you will make your life A LOT easier. The information is there, you just have to know how to find it. Good luck!

[QUOTE=SaltyBM;186596]Table 2 on pg. 23 of Bowditch is called “Conversion of Compass Points to Degrees”. Pg. 4 gives a brief explanation of the table. Although not the easiest to read, you will see that Table 2 shows 1 compass point equal to 11 degrees, 15 minutes, which is equal to 11.25, or 11 1/4. The table also shows the points and angular measure for each cardinal direction, just don’t forget to convert the minutes and seconds to tenths (Divide minutes by 60).

Reading the Bowditch is not easy, but if learned, you will make your life A LOT easier. The information is there, you just have to know how to find it. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Start with a small simple book intended for aspiring yachtsman.

[QUOTE=Ctony;186557]He’s an ab going for a mate’s license.self studying for that is pretty ambitious. You are right diving head first trying to learn navigation…I feel for him.
So, how about some suggestions to learn the basics first for him? Some folks have the touch for grasping concepts quick, some don’t. Don’t get discouraged Menizzi keep at it.[/QUOTE]

If he’s an AB already, should he not know compasses and relative bearings by now?

Not being snarky or sarcastic, but honestly confused. All the ABs that I’ve met & still meet, have had some wheel and bridge time and know that 8 points means East @ 090.

I feel the need to bring my personal life in so everyone under stands why i ask the dumb ass questions all the time lol.

I worked 7 Years for Sodexo Offshore. I worked on the Rigs. I was the guy that cleaned your room and made your bed. Some times i would work down in the galley. I got laid off because work was slow. Not all the Jobs Sodexo offshore had were Rigs they had some otto candies contracts and drill ship contracts. In my last year after the Mates and captains found out I was in the navy they asked me why i never went out side as an AB. I told them I never knew my sea time carried over. It took about 4 months to get my sea time papers. After that I went to L.E. Flecher to test for AB limited. I talked to the mates and the captains and I landed here. At first I read all the threads i could find on the Gcaptain forum. I got alot of information by just reading all the past threads in this forum and some of the other sub forums. I only started posting questions that i could not find in search.

I work at a POS security place that is 4 days a week 12/12/8/8 hours. I just sit in a shack and do nothing i get my own AC/chair/bath room/shack. On JD C. recommendation I have a hard copy of Bowditch and read it 1 hour a day when I am at work the other time i am reading my other books and getting some work outs done in the shack.

[B](I have never AB in my life)[/B]

I am reading all the books and trying to learn because I might not ever get to study like this were I have all day to just read and learn. All I need is Adv. FF and 90 days active sea time and i can take 3rd 1600. I want it for my own reasons even if I never see the wheel house. I would like to just get it before my mom dies tho. lol

I have my books set up to show

Question
Answer
Question
Answer

I used some tools to strip out all the bull shit and re printed the study guides. I want to learn why things are the way they are so I can do my job. The other mindless shit i just want to memorize. aka The lunar day is also known as the tidal day.

Hope this answers some questions.

[QUOTE=smoker;186672]If he’s an AB already, should he not know compasses and relative bearings by now?

Not being snarky or sarcastic, but honestly confused. All the ABs that I’ve met & still meet, have had some wheel and bridge time and know that 8 points means East @ 090.[/QUOTE]

Some people fall thru the cracks.

Time as a br or galley hand should not count as sea-time.