Understanding Nav. General

It does not all my time came from the navy Before I worked on the rigs

[QUOTE=Menizzi;186682]…

[B](I have never AB in my life)[/B]

All I need is Adv. FF and 90 days active sea time and i can take 3rd 1600. I want it for my own reasons even if I never see the wheel house. I would like to just get it before my mom dies tho. lol

…[/QUOTE]

If ONLY things were that simple.

What you’re saying is that you want to coast in on some prior Navy experience which has no practical relevance to reality and become a 3M without even being an AB, leave alone being an OS, right?

Either ways, IMO, I think that you should be reading American Merchant Seaman’s Manual (7th Ed, I think) by William B Hayler & John M Keever followed by some sea time before Bowditch will even make any sense to you.

Unfortunately, this is a thick book and there is no short cut like stripping out BS info, etc.

Good Luck!

I think it is important to understand that just because I hold a Lic. Does not mean a company will hire me at that level. I am sure I am going to spend some time as an AB doing AB things. I don’t see myself Coasting in anything.

BOWDITCH is way too far over your head. You will get nothing out of it.

I suggest that you buy BOATING SKILLS and SEAMANSHIP by the USCG Auxillary for $20 on Amazon. This is a good beginner book.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;186714]BOWDITCH is way too far over your head. You will get nothing out of it.

I suggest that you buy BOATING SKILLS and SEAMANSHIP by the USCG Auxillary for $20 on Amazon. This is a good beginner book.[/QUOTE]

The CG Aux book is aimed at small ski boat type boat buyers. [U]Chapman’s Piloting and Seamanship[/U] would be more useful.