Tug work in Wilmington/Morehead City NC

Wanted to see if anyone here works for Moran or McCallister in the Wilmington or Morehead City area. I’m looking to move back home, and wanted to see what the typical schedules are.

From what I understand its “on call” work. Moran has 2 boats in Morehead and Mac and moran have boats in Wilm.

I live in Wilmington and have talked to those guys before… seems to work on the "Good Ol’ Boy’ network. Needless to say, it’s hard to get in.

It is. Always has been. Always will be.

Yeah, that’s kind of what I was thinking. Called another company at the port, a small tug outfit; They said the tug business has virtually dried up because the port is so slow.

[QUOTE=Swampfox;119358]Yeah, that’s kind of what I was thinking. Called another company at the port, a small tug outfit; They said the tug business has virtually dried up because the port is so slow.[/QUOTE]

It’s a shame because the city had a few large companies(Caterpillar, and a tire company, If I remember correctly) looking to open up plants on the Cape Fear River and bring new life to the port, but the city refused to accommodate.

Is it still slow down there? Considering moving down to nc from nj around the summer time after I finish some upgrades. I’ll have either my 500/1600 master/mate inland or 200 ton master inland (depends if I can get into basic and advanced firefighting through my company). I’ll also have my ab/lifeboatman and assistance towing. Just wondering what it’s looking like down there since the original post is over a year old.

Thanks!

Read this post. It will always be true. Will never change.