Transatlantic lines (TAL) current situation

The piece of shit Atlantic hasn’t moved a meter.

That’s irrelevant with regard to arresting a vessel. To arrest a vessel, you need an action in rem, that means the ship is the defendant. The tangled web of ship ownership is why proceedings in rem exist, arrest the vessel and if the true owner wants the ship released and back in service, they have to come forward, post a bond to cover the damages alleged by the plaintiff, and defend the claim. If they don’t come forward to answer for the vessel, it’s sold and the proceeds distributed to lien holders in order of priority. Seamen wage claims generally have the highest priority after payment of substitute custodian and administrative fees.

Except they’re is not, that anyone has posted proof of, a scheduled sale of the Transatlantic.

I believe he was confusing the TRANSATLANTIC with the GEYSIR

Right. If I were to speculate on why it’s not arrested, perhaps either no one has filed an action against the vessel yet, or they have and the owner is also named as a defendant. It’s not uncommon to name a vessel as an in rem defendant and not serve the vessel, at least at first, in order to save on advancing custodian fees. If the vessel’s not likely to leave the area of the Court’s jurisdiction, this isn’t necessarily a bad strategy. If there’s no work for the vessel and it’s not going anywhere, arresting it isn’t likely to compel the owner to do anything.

A friend of mine aboard TRANSATLANTIC posted this photo to Facebook on 29 Sept. 332C1806-EDD4-472C-B6D7-92DDF7C337C4

3 Likes

Exactly. Each ship is a legal entity, thus a claim against one ship does not affect other ship under same management, but different official Owner.
IOW, because one ship is in array it doesn’t follow that another ship under same management can be arrested.

In this case; just because Gaysir is arrested it doesn’t follow that the Transatlantic should (or could) be arrested without a separate claim, or cause.

thank you for wise and knowing answer Herr Professor Obvious

Does anyone have any reliable information into what’s going on?

I’ve heard third (maybe fourth) hand that the bank bought both(?) ships super cheap from the US Marshall’s auction and that the company is just dissolving.

I saw Tony( there former hiring manager) in the city the other day and he said they are bankrupt and closing up shop. He already had another job. Sounds like TAL is no more…

I can only speak to M/V GEYSIR

The vessel reverted to the bank at auction on 29 Nov

It was subsequently bought by I believe transocean and according to sub/cust slated for the DR to be scrapped but the Shipyard says they are going to go Fix up and put it into service.

Subcust was released as was the agent on 19 December.

That is all the info I have

Anyone have news on what finally happened to the two TAL ships?

What about the Icelander in Connecticut? Has he started another gyppo shipping company to carry military cargo, or is he completely out of business?

TRANSATLANTIC still listed for sale at Marcon.com

http://marcon.com/marcon2s.cfm?SectionGroupsID=20&PageID=8&Action=Detail&File=GS05129

can’t find the listing for the GEYSIR that used to be on their site though

Only less than a month ago I still saw that hunk of shit Transatlantic anchored in Long Beach. What an eyesore.

saw on FB she was sold to someone.

now it is turn for the TRANSATLANTIC

even though a little miserable POS vessel, I still hope she remains US flag

Reefer “Shockets” is a pretty great Freudian slip.

2 Likes

Whaaaat- you don’t want this lil creampuff? Kick the tires and light the fires.

1 Like

I have no idea what she will fetch but it might be something Matson would be interested in.

She would be perfect to run between the islands.