Transatlantic lines (TAL) current situation

The Transatlantic is not all that different than Matson’s reflagged Kamokuiki that will be on their Hononlulu to Marshall Island service.

Apparently, the TRANSATLANTIC is scheduled for auction tomorrow.

I wish c.captain the best of luck with his bid.

Who bought it?

most likely the bank that held the mortgage which I expect was much higher than the fair market value of the ship today

I heard the Geysir was sold in Jax and should be heading to the yard for repairs in the next week or two in order to bring it back online. I thought it was going to be towed to Brownsville so I am quite surprised by this.

I’m guessing it was Sealift that bought it?

Not sure, heard the rumor from the yard tug Captain. I can’t imagine who would be interested in that bucket of trouble.

Marine Traffic puts the TRANSATLANTIC still anchored off Ensenada.

Did anyone buy her? Is she there for breaking, or repairs?

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but I just realized the ole TRANSATLANTIC is now under Peruvian Flag trading as the MARIA REINA.

3 Likes

The old Geysir has been in dry dock after getting sold at auction.

Seems like it is getting ready to sail.

She is at North Florida Shipyard in Jax. All painted and looks much better. The cargo from her last voyage looks like it is still on her. Not sure who bought her but I heard the NotGoodMander has somehow resurfaced.

Any news on any of this?

1 Like

OH DEAR GOD NO! Please someone shoot that miserable SOB before he returns to inflict his miserable skinflint ways upon the US merchant mariner

Do what? Who the hell is that?

1 Like

Did the crews who were abandoned anchored off US ports on the GEYSIR and TRANSATLANTIC by the owner and their worthless MEBA union, ever get paid?

You should be happy there are no tough liable laws in the US!!!

I wonder if I am “liable” if I say “EAT ME!”

see you in court

We’ll probably have to wait our turn. I hear the US Courts will be busy for a while now.

Take it to The Hague.

1 Like

Ahh an Internationalist on the forum. Me like!!
BTW; what happened to the post that started this OT session, somebody took offence??

What would be wrong with that? Many times the maritime unions and many in the USCG fought to get the SID passed and the DOJ/ DOS blocked those efforts after 9/11 they doubled down because of the crazy security protocols. SID should have been instituted instead of worthless TWIC and the gate would have been cleared for the US signing the MLC. Aviation community the silver spoon fair haired children of the transportation world stroll through our airports with nare a care.

Foreign airline crews are paid well enough that they don’t have a history jumping plane to become dishwashers in the US. Foreign seamen do have a history of jumping ship in the US.