Current State of Union Shipping For Engineers

Hello All,

After graduating from the maritime academy in 2010 I sailed several years in AMO then went offshore and worked for a drilling company for few more years. I’m working as a port engineer now but the office lifestyle and having to work year round is getting old and I’m thinking about sailing again. If I do sail again I would either join MEBA or AMO. When I joined AMO out of school it wasn’t because I had a preference for them, I just wanted to work and they happened to be the first organization to get me a job. Are there any actively sailing MEBA or AMO members here who can tell me the current availability of work? I know a few years ago the unions were hurting for engineers because everyone was jumping ship to work in the oilfield. I would imagine a lot of these people went back to the unions when oil prices fell though. Thanks for any replies.

[QUOTE=CEPEMS88;195018]Thanks for any replies.[/QUOTE]

since you asked for “ANY” replies, you can have mine…

nobody cares about you or your dreams for a fulfilling career so will you please just…

c.captain
I’ve only been a member of this forum for two days and it’s already obvious you’re only here to insult and harass people while not contributing anything informative or of substance. Are you senile or just a typical troll who gets giddy at being able to say things to people you would never have the courage to say in person behind the anonymity of the internet?

If you want to ship MEBA or learn how quickly you will get out through them go to your closest hall give them a check for $150 to get you dues paid for the quarter and gain a group III shipping card and sit and wait till you get to throw in on something. You’ve sailed AMO and understood their process better then I do. The halls are all full of group III applicants that are only there because the drill ships they where on no longer need their service. We have the work and if you want it go, sit, learn and repeat.

[QUOTE=cape cod night;195054]We have the work and if you want it go, sit, learn and repeat.[/QUOTE]

That’s all I needed to know, thanks. I understand how the MEBA applicant/group III process works. Several of my co-workers are retired MEBA. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t walking into a hopeless situation. Several of my deckie friends joined MM&P out of school and sat in the hall waiting for work for over 6 months with no luck before they had to look elsewhere.

[QUOTE=CEPEMS88;195052]c.captain
I’ve only been a member of this forum for two days and it’s already obvious you’re only here to insult and harass people while not contributing anything informative or of substance. Are you senile or just a typical troll who gets giddy at being able to say things to people you would never have the courage to say in person behind the anonymity of the internet?[/QUOTE]

oh so small…so very, very small

see ya in the funny papers kid…

I’ve sent you a PM.

[QUOTE=c.captain;195040]since you asked for “ANY” replies, you can have mine…

nobody cares about you or your dreams for a fulfilling career so will you please just…

.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately who does and does not participate in this forum is not up to c.captain, or any other user for that matter. I’m with the kid.

[QUOTE=Mikey;195213]Unfortunately who does and does not participate in this forum is not up to c.captain, or any other user for that matter. I’m with the kid.[/QUOTE]

I remember way back when he started posting obtuse statements and funny pictures and then ramped
it up until finally getting himself suspended from this site. Leopards can’t change their spots

Not sure if it was already asked. Where are you? MEBA does have work for engineers. Some jobs better than others, but there is work in certain halls. A couple companies have direct hire as well

[QUOTE=brjones;195218]Not sure if it was already asked. Where are you? MEBA does have work for engineers. Some jobs better than others, but there is work in certain halls. A couple companies have direct hire as well[/QUOTE]

I would ship out of either the New York or Norfolk, VA hall. I heard about companies hiring direct too. I think it was OSG?

New York would be tough if you don’t have the Maersk training requirements. I would try long beach or Oakland, much better chance of picking up a relief job on the west coast.

Try Chesapeake Crewing. They ships for Schuyler Lines, I know they use MMP, assume it is MEBA as well.