Transatlantic lines (TAL) current situation

So are they just planning on closing?

Never heard what the story was

Oh, so AMO is going to bid for crewing for TAL then? :wink:

Rumor has it that the US country manager of ClassNK has appointed the honorable?? Gudmundur Kjaernested, VP and Co-owner of Transatlantic Lines to their North American Technical Committee which some might deem an honor? Others, not so much!

Why shouldn’t he be proud? Being named to the Technical Committee of NKK would be an honour for anyone.

NKK is the third biggest Classification Society in the world and a member of IACS in good standing: http://icsclass.org/news/top-10-classification-societies-a-new-class-of-class-is-emerging/
He may not have a good reputation for the way he treats his crew, but that has nothing to do with technical abilities.

Why NKK wants to honour him is a good question though. He is not a major player in American Shipping, but maybe he has other activities that makes him “interesting” to NKK?? I believe he is still an Icelandic citizen and have businesses there.Although he is controversial there for his involvement with US activities in the “War on Terror”:

Regardless of their size, I was under the impression they were a cut rate class society, not a top tier one.

1 Like

It is top tire IACS and Japanese. You must be kidding me??

I was just going off memory, plus the fact that TAL fired DNV to switch to them.

Maybe DNV fired TAL over unpaid fees?

The fact that DNV classed those old piece of shit ships that were incompetently managed really diminished my respect to DNV.

Maybe those ship finally became too much of an embarrassment for DNV.

Apparently Class NK knows no shame. No class society that would associate itself with Kjaernstead is top tier. At least not anymore.

If you are talking about Transatlantic specifically, here is her status: http://www.equasis.org/EquasisWeb/restricted/ShipInfo?fs=Search

DNV Class transferred to NKK after joint survey 19-20.03.17 (Normal procedure between IACS members)
DNV withdrawn their class approval 30.03.17
NKK issued ISM cert. 09.12.16 Withdrawn 11.08.17 for unknown reasons
NKK suspended class 20.06.17 due to overdue survey.

No reason given for class transfer, but I believe unpaid bills have been mentioned earlier.

Geysir is ABS class and according to Equasis class was suspended in August also for surveys overdue.
DNV, ABS and ClassNK are all top tier societies.

If I remember right I posted the Equasis page for Geysir earlier here.
Also if I remember right, NKK took over ISM certification for this one as well. (later suspended)
I assume that NKK took over all ISM and ISPS related certification for the company, not just individual vessels?

Date: 10/31/2017 10:51:52 AM
Ref: 7600176

AUCTION SALE - M/V GEYSIR (2,000 Dwt / Built 1980 / US Flag)

We, “Compass Maritime”, have EXCLUSIVELY been appointed by the Mortgagee to market the below Vessel for sale (via Public Auction) with the United States Marshal for the Middle District of Florida, in alliance with our partners, “National Maritime Services”. For good order, please see a copy of the Court Order attached hereto.

VESSEL: M/V GEYSIR (2,000 Dwt / Built 1980 / US Flag)

Monroe Street Side, 300 N. Hogan Street, Jacksonville, Florida

DATE/TIME: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 commencing at 12:00 Noon

“The Vessel will be sold to the highest and best bidder, said sale to be subject to the confirmation for the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida.”

A Brief Description of the Vessel is as follows:

GC: “GEYSIR” (ex. Juno)

Built: 1980 at EQUITABLE SHIPYARDS MADISONVILLE, LA, USA
Flag: UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Class: ABS
IMO No: 7710733

Deadweight: 2,000 mts on 4.53 m draft
Gross: 2,266
Net: 1,208

LOA: 90.07 m
Breadth: 13.72 m
Depth 6.71 m
HO/HA: 3 / 3
Main Engine: MAN B+W Alpha Model 8L28/32A-DVO, 2665 BHP Medium Speed Diesel
with Controllable Pitch Propeller, installed June 1999

(Details Believed To Be Correct But Without Guarantee)

Please advise further interest, thank you!

++

Best Regards,
Compass Maritime / Tommy O’Toole

Partner
+1 201 907 0009 - Office
+1 845 597 4150 - Mobile

well in a month’s time we will see if the infamous POS vessel get’s a new owner or end up being the bank’s to try to sell. I certainly would not want to be in the note holder’s position with this one at this time with the market for ships being so soft. The fact that GEYSIR has had its coastwise trade endorsement restored might help but I can’t think of any sector of the industry that would need such a ship now. Once Alaska would have been a viable market which is where the two sister hulls were converted to fisheries vessels but I don’t see that today. Could the GEYSIR be a viable vessel for Puerto Rican trade in some form of specialized service? Don’t really see that either with so many never and larger OSVs available for cheap. Remember that GEYSIR would need millions in work to make her fit for any job.

I say in the end, she goes to Brownsville and possibly sooner rather than later.

btw, any updates on the TRANSATLANTIC or still sitting in Long Beach at anchor?

According to Marine Traffic, it’s still anchored off Long Beach.

how is it that she has not been arrested already?

If there is a scheduled U.S. Marshal sale of the vessel (see post above), it’s already been “arrested.”

FYI… The Gysir that got arrested and up on the auction block. M/V Transatlantic is still anchored off Long Beach.

Most likely the official Owner of each vessel is a different registered company. (???)