Training On Marine Equipment, Need Help!

Hi,

I’ve been a Marine Engineer working on vessels in the North Sea, and I truly feel the need for extra training on specifics. I know basic operations of everything I work with (just about)
But I want to get a more in depth understanding of what I work with and not just trust what the higher ranked engineer tells me. I want to know if there is any and all courses specific to certain machinery.
Like a course, purely to understand air compressors deal with maintenance and problems etc.

Or separator’s, Specific pumps, refrigeration compressors, deck crane’s, Davits.

Just any marine (or not) training courses/opportunities where I can better develop skills to use in the workplace.

Thanks to anyone that can help me out on this

I don’t know how good your wifi is, but http://www.dieselduck.info/ is a very useful site for general learning.

Maybe get the manufacturer’s data from the manuals onboard? Just a guess. . .

Hey! There are schools located around the nation called “Seaschool” (www.seaschool.com). They also have online courses. Everything is in par with the USCG licenses and education. Hope this helps!

Agree with above, just reading the manuals can be a wonderful thing. Unfortunately, books tend to only get opened when there is a problem. But the books or websites can have contract info for tech support for specific questions. Such as Alfa Laval or Hamworthy.

But yes, some companies do offer specific training. Caterpillar and MAN Diesel offer specific engine courses. Other companies such as Rexroth offer training on hydraulics or Nance for refrigeration.

You should have the manuals for every piece of installed equipment onboard. If you don’t, have the chief order them. They are the best resource you could ask for short of a factory class which is not available for much other than main propulsion equipent and a few other major items. The operations and maintenance manuals will provide very specific detailed information of the sort you need, read them, understand them, and if you can’t figure out a detail, call the manufacturer. They are usually very very helpful and will do whatever they can to make sure their equipment doesn’t become a problem.

You are not in a position to become a generalist, that will come with years of experience, for now you have a specific job on a specific boat … become an expert on what you have onboard. It isn’t hard to be better than most because, unfortunately, most people can’t be bothered. Read the F’ing Manuals like they were novels, use them religiously when working on the machinery. Your career will benefit greatly and you will make fewer mistakes.