Traffic control for Port Fourchon

Is it just me or is this the most highly unorganized port in the United States? I never have been crazy about more government regulation regarding the USMM but has anyone have any ideas on a more efficient way to handle the extremely insane volume of traffic that moves around in this little gulf port that plays host to the most maneuverable vessels anywhere in the USA.

This has been discussed as nauseam in the past.

[QUOTE=OBXmariner;142776]Is it just me or is this the most highly unorganized port in the United States? I never have been crazy about more government regulation regarding the USMM but has anyone have any ideas on a more efficient way to handle the extremely insane volume of traffic that moves around in this little gulf port that plays host to the most maneuverable vessels anywhere in the USA.[/QUOTE]

i agree with you as well as T.Y.

… but just wait till the end of next year when there are 10-15 more 275 plus ft boats calling on Fourchon and at least 1 more C-Port if not 2 more up and running.

We’ll all be wishing it was only as hectic as summer 2014.

Until the dispatchers have to be the ones to call VTS to get an opening for a vessel to transit from one place to another it will only make our lives 1000x worse.

The only real problem with Fourchon is the level patience of a lot of the operators.

I’d like to believe with the degree of leadership and experience packed into this tiny port that some resemblance of traffic management could be achieved instead of ch. 13 being used like mad.

I agree! I think VTS will make it worst. But I do believe that a second working channel should be assign. Like they do in places with VTS. CH 13- for Halliburton slip and the Bayou Ch14- for Flotation canal, slip A, B, and C. Or something along those lines, that way you just may be able to get a security call in between all the other BS.

People could also not talking about going to their hunting camp on 13…however I agree that split channels would help.

Isn’t that pertinent information?

What PR-9 said …

If people would do more listening and a whole lot less damn talking!!

Brah if dey had tew channels da boatofem would be nonstop yakkity yak!

Be careful what u wish for, there has been more than one conference on what is to be done with Fourchon. Personally I think they should move MSD Dulac and Station Grand Isle over here. I don’t think a conventional VTS would work unless they set one way zones, mandatory traffic lanes and cut another entrance/exit.

My 2 cents…

Offshore anchorage perhaps… Just saying.

It’s getting hot on de bayou dis mornin … Fellas calling other fellas an idiot on channel 13. Can’t we all just get along?

I like Fourchon just the way it is. Every day is a new adventure.

Where? Between the candlesticks? Middle of the hole? Lol. Handle your business and drive like the ink isn’t still wet on your ticket…

Amen to dat.

Quoted for truth…

Wet ink, very nice. So you’ve never seen an anchorage before. Just using a little experience trying to help a growing problem. But hey keep packing em in, we used to have other ports to operate from. No congestion issues. Here we are 2014, Fourchon and Galveston. Better get that dredge fired up. Gonna need a bigger hole to park these boats.

Don’t know anything about Fourchon but in general the purpose of a VTS is to reduce the risk of collision between vessels. A VTS has no interest in the efficient use of berthing space, tugs or pilots etc. For efficient use or port resources many foreign ports, especially small congested ones use a “Port Control” to coordinate vessel movements. For ports that handle large vessels the costs of financing a port control are likely offset by savings from more efficient port movements. In the case of vessels that don’t require the coordination between tugs, line-handlers, and pilots or high labor costs it might not be worthwhile.