The banishment of c.captain and ombugge

Please please please, can we let c.captain back on just to respond to one new thread that just popped up on the board? Steamer or AHTS might be sufficient, but I would dearly love to see his response about health/safety concerns regarding “bipolar scizieffectice disorder” on board.

6 Likes

“Memtal disorders” are no laughing matter sir

3 Likes

Where the hell is fraqrat? He been on hiatus? He would be good for a response too.

4 Likes

I’ll pitch hit for c.captain.

Being diagnosed bipolar, and being the on meds for it, is disqualifying. Or at least it ought to be in any sane seamen certification system.

Both of them acted like retards and got banned.

Didn’t fraq have some public teenager style online lady troubles? Did he come back since? I wouldn’t have.

I don’t think so. We may not be talking about the same person.

No, he’s right. I remember it, embarrassing as all hell.

While his Norwegian is under arrest, Fraqrat, the Ambassador to Norway, is out of work.

“Should have done what everyone else does and not get diagnosed.”

There must be a class for that in cook school. From all appearances it seems to be a very successful strategy for a lot of ship’s cooks.

6 Likes

Steamer, I withdrew the post almost immediately. It was supposed to be a joke but I thought it might not be taken as funny. It was only up for a few minutes. I thought it might be offensive. Having said that, I have worked with some doozies over the years. But, I learned on the job so I’m not sure it’s a required class at cook school.

2 Likes

No problem. No offense intended and I hope none taken. I thought it was just too good to pass up!

1 Like
1 Like

This place is a PTA meeting compared to SA. You have to do a lot over there to get banned, but meanwhile the IGNORE function does wonders for just not seeing the trolls. Maybe an ignore button would beat a ban???

2 Likes

It’s your webpage, you do what you want.

1. I support your banishing of ‘ombugge’

2. Professional banter and different viewpoints are all great. Difference of opinion are welcome. Its how you learn. But his endless posts seemed to always be written with the intent of “correcting” another’s viewpoint. We can all understand the ‘argument’ once i awhile. Bit this guy was relentless. The word “exhausting” comes to mind.

3. Years of experience are great, especially when it provides insight into specific issues being discussed. But his time and effort seemed to indicate he did nothing else all day.

Twitter and Facebook are facing a similar issue with ‘selectively’ removing posts and certain writers of a specific political persuasion. The expected comments there…and here on this forum…are all about freedom of speech.

I get that. But the scope clearly is not the same here as on those two platforms…yet!

But discussion of professional issues is one thing. Take it or leave it. For the record, Facebook and Twitter thru their selective censorship, are in fact having an impact (or attempting to) on the American election process. So the free speech issue is different there.

Finally, the gov’t has had to step in before in our history, when private enterprise efforts are so successful that the platforms that provide a service to the vast majority of Americans is overwhelmingly a monopoly. The energy sector in it’s early years and the telephone company, too, are the most immediate examples.

Twitter and Facebook have infected nearly every other website, with login and cross connection exchange of personal info. Therein lies the difference between free speech and required sharing and exchange of personal info.

I’m not certain of the best answer. But I don’t like the tentacles of the two ugliest octopuses out there, Jack and Mark, and the hidden network they have created. Now, they want to shape the outcome of our electoral process, all from the comfort of their desk. We’re all worried about Russians??? Worry more about the two executives and owners that “manage” the exchange of opinions shared in public, 24 hours a day.

2 Likes

In general this isn’t about censorship, 99% of the time a post get flagged for being off-topic. Then it gets deleted.

I don’t normally send PM or whatever I just delete, I figure it should be obvious why it got deleted.

However when someone complains about their off-topic posts getting deleted it’s framed as they are a brave truth-teller and everyone else is a fragile snowflake who can’t handle the truth.

So in some case I shifted some. Judge for your self:

Off-Topic

Why did my post get deleted?

Why are my posts getting censored/erased?

1 Like

What’s SA?

I believe he is referring to Sailing Anarchy. Yacht racing forum

Oh, them! Scot Tempesta has bought a bunch of our merch. Nice guy but, yeah, he likes to stir the pot.

1 Like

Tempest in a tea pot

2 Likes