Stcw

I recieved a stcw certificate 2 years ago. When i tried to go to the CG to get it approved and put on my MMC alongside with my AB they said i needed a RFPNW with it. I proceeded to fill out that paperwork. I recieved a letter back that said the captain that signed me off did not meet the requirements and the vessel i was working on was not over 200gt. This was correct as my captain did not even have a Stcw and it was on a 100gt. I now work on a pin-unit in which the tug is over 100gt and the barge 81,000 bls. I need to know if I can still keep trying to get that STCW after it has been more than a year of sitting. or do i need to RETAKE the course? Any help with this would be awesome, Thanks

I wouldnt take this advice to the bank but here it is. I was told STCW certificates have no experation. Maybe 5 years due to recency. Also check the certificate and with the school about this issue.

RFPNW has to be done on a vessel over 100 GT.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/credentials/checklists/default.asp

If the STCW cert is BST you can add it with out RFPNW.

The RFPMW is for international only. You can still get your AB with out it. It’s optional. You need 180 days on a vessel over 200 gt. RFPMW

[QUOTE=CurryAK;91416]I wouldnt take this advice to the bank but here it is. I was told STCW certificates have no experation. Maybe 5 years due to recency. Also check the certificate and with the school about this issue.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like the “certificate” is a course certificate for basic safety training. While the training is valid for five years, you won’t be issued an STCW endorsement for BST, you have to have an STCW endorsement flike RFPNW to have anything noted on the STCW portion of the MMC. His probelm appears to be that he hasn’t met the requirements for RFPNW, so he doesn’t qualify for any STCW endorsements. If the “certificates” he has are from approved courses, thwey are valid for 5 years and can be shown as evidence he has had BST.

As far as qualifying for RFPNW, see NMC Plolicy Letetr 14-02, http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/policy_letters/pdfs/14-02.pdf. Half of the service has to be on a vessel over 200 GRT/500 GT and all assessments have to be done on a vessel over 100 GRT. The assessor has to be licensed as 2nd Mate or higher (Master 500 and 1600 is considered higher for purposes of RFPNW assessments). It sounds like he has problems meeting these several requirements.

[QUOTE=kfj;91429]If the STCW cert is BST you can add it with out RFPNW.[/QUOTE]

We will not endorse an MMC with only BST, youy must have another STCW endorsement such as RFPNW to have anything noted in the SDTCW part of the MMC. If all you have is BST, the STCW portion of the MMC will be blank.

when i was going to school for the AB I was told to take the BST 4 elements and the RFPNW which starts out as lookout duties only until the Assesments are done before an Officer of not less than 2nd mate.

Thanks for your help guys.