RFPNW... yeah, right

Greetings to all-knowing & wise forum members!

I’ve searched through many a pages looking for some clarity on this RFPNW issue as it applies to AB endorsements but have not stumbled across the one nugget of info that pertains to my case… I hold a 100 Ton Master license / STCW-95 w/ OICNW since 1999 and have just recently hired on w/ ECO and obtained my AB/Lifeboatman certification. I have a total of 1127 days of Sea Service on Ocean/NC waters, 331 days on vessels over 200 Tons… am I still required to complete my RFPNW assesements if I already rec’d my OICNW seal of approval on my STCW?
Any light shed on this is much appreciated.

OICNW is a mate designation.
You have a 100 GRT Master. You should not have an OICNW designation if this is the case. On your MMC, in ste STCW codes, do you have a code that says II/1 ?

and your 331 days of service on vessels over 200grt was in what capacity? OS or AB but not RFPNW? When did you first get your AB?

Read this

Your license (under 100 tons) is not covered under STCW95. It was covered under the ‘old STCW 78’ stuff. Everyone who has a small license was just thrown under the bus by the CG, and given the ‘non conforming’ stcw78 nod of approval. Anyone who has to work on vessels OVER100 tons on foreign voyages (and/or is hired by companies who want higher documented credentialed employees) must meet the STCW95 RFPNW or RFPEW (deck or engine). If you HAD done the full STCW (with a greater than 200 ton license) prior to the deadline (which was (I think) about 10 years ago, then you were indeed grandfathered. BUT, since you have a 100 ton license, it didn’t apply. So, unless for some strange reason you actually had the sheets signed off, while aboard a vessel OVER 200GT I doubt it is valid. The CG ‘gave’ SCTW RFPNW and OICNW STCW codes out to mariners who had documented this PRIOR to the deadline. If you didn’t document it, AND ask for it they didn’t give it out upon renewal.

In other words, what you ‘thought’ you had, isn’t the same as what you actually have.

Specifically what STCW codes do you have on your MMC?

If you do have OICNW, (with the valid codes) that trumps RFPNW.

Here is the list ofcodes find yours, and that will tell you what you have, and if it applies to OICNW, or RFPNW.

My 1999 STCW certificate reads; "… II/3 of the above convention, to serve as… Mate / NC of not more than 50 Gross Tons… Officer in Charge of a navigational watch (operator)… limited to vessels of not more than 100 gross tons.

My 2002 STCW certificate reads; "… II/3 & VI/1 of the above convention, to serve in the capacity or capcities listed below… Master - near coastal voyages only - limited to vessels of not more than 100 Gross Register Tons (Domestic Tonnage).

I work on a ECO crewboat (<100 GRT) and just completed my AB/Lifeboatman courses… do I need to also complete a RFPNW class as well? I worked on vessels >200 GRT as a licensed Mate/Master in the private sector.

nevermind what the old certificates say, what is on the inside of your red book? (MMC)2nd or third page. They changed the way this was all administered and written. What is in your MMC is what is important now.

It isn’t popular, but STCW only applies to vessels OVER 100 tons in internatinal voyages. Your 50 and 100 ton notations actually mean nothing today. When they were written (1999 and 2002) they hadn’t come up with a logical way of dealing with this tonnage issue. Later, around the time they started phasing out the STCW letters, Zcard and replaced the licenses with the red MMC they just stopped putting any STCW codes on peoples licenses who didn’t meet the heightened requirements. You had to have worked on a vessel OVER 200 tons, and completed the assessments. It’s no big deal, about 26 individual items to have checked off as you demonstrate them to a licensed person (1600 GT or over, on a vessel over 200 GT)

The rub here is, vessels UNDER 100 GT don’t need STCW anywhere, at any time. BUT, to move up to larger vessels you need time on vessels OVER 200 tons. I have heard of a couple guys who ‘got’ the STCW V codes on a MMC and never worked on vessels over 100 GT. But, accotding to the regs its not supposed to happen.

If you carefully read your original STCW pages it tells you that they are only good on vessels UNDER 100 tons, on domestic voyages. When the reality is… NO STCW is required under 100 tons anywhere! So it was a bogus ‘endorsement’ that they eventually figured out and stopped issuing.

Although I have looked up this info, and am reciting some from memory, I may have messed up a few details, but generally, this is the latest and best info about this.

In your case, you will need to complete the RFPNW assessments, and then submit that to the CG to get the RFPNW on your red book. The qualificaitons you originally met had changed, and unless you were working in the industry prior, and had met all, and had it on your STCW, it wouldn’t have applied to you.

Have you called NMC to talk about this? Maybe hire a license consultant.

[QUOTE=cappy208;108339]nevermind what the old certificates say, what is on the inside of your red book? (MMC)2nd or third page. They changed the way this was all administered and written. What is in your MMC is what is important now.

It isn’t popular, but STCW only applies to vessels OVER 100 tons in internatinal voyages. Your 50 and 100 ton notations actually mean nothing today. When they were written (1999 and 2002) they hadn’t come up with a logical way of dealing with this tonnage issue. Later, around the time they started phasing out the STCW letters, Zcard and replaced the licenses with the red MMC they just stopped putting any STCW codes on peoples licenses who didn’t meet the heightened requirements. You had to have worked on a vessel OVER 200 tons, and completed the assessments. It’s no big deal, about 26 individual items to have checked off as you demonstrate them to a licensed person (1600 GT or over, on a vessel over 200 GT)

The rub here is, vessels UNDER 100 GT don’t need STCW anywhere, at any time. BUT, to move up to larger vessels you need time on vessels OVER 200 tons. I have heard of a couple guys who ‘got’ the STCW V codes on a MMC and never worked on vessels over 100 GT. But, accotding to the regs its not supposed to happen.

If you carefully read your original STCW pages it tells you that they are only good on vessels UNDER 100 tons, on domestic voyages. When the reality is… NO STCW is required under 100 tons anywhere! So it was a bogus ‘endorsement’ that they eventually figured out and stopped issuing.

Although I have looked up this info, and am reciting some from memory, I may have messed up a few details, but generally, this is the latest and best info about this.

In your case, you will need to complete the RFPNW assessments, and then submit that to the CG to get the RFPNW on your red book. The qualificaitons you originally met had changed, and unless you were working in the industry prior, and had met all, and had it on your STCW, it wouldn’t have applied to you.

Have you called NMC to talk about this? Maybe hire a license consultant.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure this is authority to support saying that STCW doesn’t apply to vessels under 100 GRT. I’m not referring to whether the Coast Guard would impose any additional requirements to be endorsed for STCW for a vessel under 100 GRT, for certain vessels, we don’t - see 46 CFR 11.202(f). Rather, I’m talking about whether it says anywhere in STCW that it doesn’t apply to sea-going vessels under 100 GRT? It’s not listed among the exceptions in Article III (Applicability) of the STCW Convention. Also, in NVIC 6-00 we noted STCW certifications are needed for vessels “of any tonnage on international voyages.”

As far as the “bogus” endorsement we stopped issuing, in our recent proposed rulemaking (SNPRM) to implement the STCW we proposed STCW endorsements for OICNW and master for less than 200 GRT. What we stopped doing was putting language on the old form of license that the holder meets STCW without further obligation.

Get every possible credential that you can get. You never know when it will benefit you down the road. For guys with 100 tons, but no AB credential. Start working on getting it today. Your current gig might fall apart and having the AB might allow you to work and save the house from foreclosure. Hey, you might even find yourself moving up to bigger and better things. But without the pre-planning and work, you might be a 100 ton captain, but you’re still an Ordinary Seaman. Not that there’s anything wrong with that if you enjoy humping the lowest pay scale. Trust me, I’ve done that. Having an AB is like insurance plan for fat 100 ton captains.
I encourage you to take the STCW Basic Safety Course and the 5 day 40 hour lifeboat course. These will allow you to move up towards AB Unlimited. You would not believe how the women at the local clothing optional resorts swoon when they find out I have an AB Unlimited/Lifeboatman endorsement. Well, maybe it was the drinks I was buying.

These endorsements are becoming real money in the industry. In the new IUOE Local 25 Contract,(dredging) guys of any job classification, painter, deckhand, fat boat captain, crane operator, get paid $1.25 per hour extra for having the Lifeboatman endorsement. They could have ordinary seaman credentials, but 40 x $1.25 +extra $50 for 40 hours and time plus 150% after forty hours or $1.87 per hour.This is free money$$$. You may not belong to a union but we know that union pay scales and benefits can have a ripple effect in the community. And who cares. If the Fat Mofo’s want to give you extra $$$ for endorsements, shouldn’t you load up your toolbox? Now, Get to Class, dammit. And maybe you’ll learn something that can save a life.

^ What he said…

[QUOTE=jdcavo;108375]Rather, I’m talking about whether it says anywhere in STCW that it doesn’t apply to sea-going vessels under 100 GRT? .[/QUOTE]

As usual, you are correct. I mixed up Competency Act of ‘36 manning with the STCW tonnage. My apologies. But it does beg to be explained why this is such a difficult topic to decipher. The mentioning of the ‘old’ STCW 78 and 95 pages and lack of mention of a MMC is troubling. And I do dare say, if the correct paperwork hasn’t been done thus far, it is likely that training and drill haven’t been accomplished which would negate the validity of STCW for renewal anyway. However, on the the topic. The OP has never stated what his MMC says. If he renewed and it was not put on, it was either an omission, of for lack of proof, it was not ‘automatically’ renewed with recency. The devil is in the details, and some times (like always) the Government does NOT make it easy to figure all this stuff out. It is just about impossible to get through to anyone at NMC, nand the RECs just take you rpacket and throw it in the mail to NMC. They can’'t answer any real difficult stuff either.

Thanks to all for the info… so I’ll just get transferred over to one of our big OSV’s to complete my RFPNW, not a problem. I have completed all the required courses for AB-Unlimited as well as over 1100 days of sea service so just one more little detail and my STCW should read the way I need it to read in order to sit for my 500 Ton! Wishing you all Calm seas:-)