RFPNW question

I was told by the NMC that I needed to sail on a 200+ gross ton vessel in order to get my RFPNW Stamped along side my STCW on my MMD/Z-card. But someone told me today because I have a 100ton inland that 100 ton comes with an RFPNW or qualifies me to get it?

Not having my RFPNW is the only thing holding me back from becoming an AB on my ship and making an extra 20K+ a year raise!!! FYI I do have my AB ticket. any info would be appreciated -Jeff

EDIT: My MMD they gave me a 100ton captains INLAND and for the hell on it they gave me a 100ton mates NC, So here is the main question of this post… Next to the MATES license not captains part it says in exact words including the parentheses Capacity::: officer in charge of a navigational watch (mates). <--------Is that an RFPNW???

The RFPNW is an STCW rating and only applies to Near Coastal and Oceans. 50% of the required time to qualify must be on a vessel over 200 GRT. You must also complete all assessments. RFPNW will be noted on your MMD as “RFPNW” on the domestic side and A-II/4 on the STCW portion. I am not certain what the “officer in charge of a navigation watch (mates)” entitles you to since STCW only applies to vessels greater than 200 GRT seaward of the boundry line. That must be a domestic item. Maybe someone else can help you with that. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply, I do not have time on a 200gt vessel, so there is now way that “officer watch” could be an RFPNW?

[QUOTE=HawspiperJeff;32823]I was told by the NMC that I needed to sail on a 200+ gross ton vessel in order to get my RFPNW Stamped along side my STCW on my MMD/Z-card. But someone told me today because I have a 100ton inland that 100 ton comes with an RFPNW or qualifies me to get it?

Absolutly incorrect.

Not having my RFPNW is the only thing holding me back from becoming an AB on my ship and making an extra 20K+ a year raise!!! FYI I do have my AB ticket. any info would be appreciated -Jeff

$20K??? where do you work :slight_smile:

1. Get your 180 days on vessels >200GRT
  2. Get your assessments signed off.
  3. Dont take a RFPNW class.

EDIT: My MMD they gave me a 100ton captains INLAND and for the hell on it they gave me a 100ton mates NC, So here is the main question of this post… Next to the MATES license not captains part it says in exact words including the parentheses Capacity::: officer in charge of a navigational watch (mates). <--------Is that an RFPNW???[/QUOTE]

Nope… thats somthing I always wondered. If Im licensed to drvie a 100 ton boat that sound trump any RFPNW… it doesnt. RFPNW is an international STCW rate. 100 ton near coast or inland OICNW is not.

Cordially,
Bob
AB RFPNW