Rfpnw

I am a 1600 ton master near coastal. While having a discussion with a mate he told me the USCG told him if he ever planned to work as an A/B he would have to have a RFPNW book completed. This didn’t make any sense as he hold a mates license. Can someone explain this to me after all the testing he went through, why would he have to have a completed RFPNW book? Thanks in advance.

what tonnage mate license does he have??? also might depend on when he got the mates license, AB and RFPNW are 2 different things,

Blame it on the IMO. It’s because of then I had to pay $500 to learn how to drive a boat.

Never mind that I’ve held a 100 ton master for 4 years and I have done nothing but drive around during this time.

If the mate u talked to had an inland license, RFPNW is not required. When did he get his Mates’ ticket?

My advice is download the checklist and check the CFR. More and more we r becoming sea lawyers and administrators than we are shiphandlers. Welcome to the future.

Thanks for the answers. This is what he has. 200 Ton mate, has held for well over a year. It is a near coastal License.

Mr. 100 ton, I know it is two different things. RFPNW is for an A/B while OICNW is for Masters & Mates. I was just amazed how an officer would need to have RFPNW on his A/B ticket.

a 100 master or 200 mate/master is not qualified to work as an AB on a vessel over 200 tons in international waters. things have changed,makes NO since but that is the way it is, he can take a course for lookout only, or do the RFPNW in a simulator, or do 6 months as an OS to get the RFPNW, lets look at it this way, he can be in the pilot house on a vessel up to 200 tons, be in charge holding his own watch, but on a 201 ton vessel in international waters he can not work on deck as an AB, it is what it is,

[QUOTE=Mr 100-ton;48923]a 100 master or 200 mate/master is not qualified to work as an AB on a vessel over 200 tons in international waters. things have changed,makes NO since but that is the way it is, he can take a course for lookout only, or do the RFPNW in a simulator, or do 6 months as an OS to get the RFPNW, lets look at it this way, he can be in the pilot house on a vessel up to 200 tons, be in charge holding his own watch, but on a 201 ton vessel in international waters he can not work on deck as an AB, it is what it is,[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the information. Yes it is what it is but still IMHO stupid.