I want to get my AB special do I need anything else?

Hello Guys,

I took my 40 hr course and I know I need my lifeboat course I registered for that. I’ll have over 240 days of sea service after my next hitch. I was talking to friend and he said I also need take a navigation watch course? As I have no seatime on vessel over 200 tons I been looking at USCG website didn’t see this school said I didn’t need it however they been wrong in past. I was an OS and took my BST so I could get STCW and after submitting was told OS’S are no longer issued STCW-95 certificates just carry my BST certificates with me. Now since I took my BST 2 years ago do I have to retake it again as wasn’t issued stcw within 1 year of course as states on certificates. Says must be turned in within 1 year. Everytime I get the run around at REC. I’m mean I call 3 different locations as I was told all I needed was my BST for STCW and everyone gives u different answers grrrrr. Now I need know if I have take a NAV Watch course and retake my BST. Thanks for any help

It depends on what type of vessel and what routes of service you are working in.

I work on Tugboats in Near Coastal service. My Z-Card is endorsed as AB Limited. I do not have an STCW certificate (I have the Basic Safety Training course certificates) and I do not have Lifeboat or RFPNW (Ratings Forming Part of a Navigational Watch).

I was an OS and took my BST so I could get STCW and after submitting was told OS’S are no longer issued STCW-95 certificates just carry my BST certificates with me.

You need to take a look at NMC Policy Letter 08-03, that should address your questions regarding Basic Safety Training.

You do not need RFPNW for your AB.

I am also going for my AB Special, and RFPNW is not required.

All are correct that you do not need STCW to get an AB. However, if you want to work anywhere other than inland waters as an AB you will need to get your assessments for RFPNW completed and lifeboatman as well, and then apply to the REC for your STCW certificate.

When I applied for my AB at the Portland, OR REC almost 1 1/2 years ago they would not submit my original application untill I had:

1. AB cert from a school. I chose that route instead of testing at USCG
  2. BST
  3. Lifeboatman course

After that they sent my application to NMC

Now for the confusion. When I got my MMD AB I thougt I was an AB… Well sorta. You can not sail outside Near Coast waters as an AB utill you also get RFPNW. Heads up on this one. Some mistakenly belive a person can go to a 2-3 day class and then serve only 60 days and get the RFPNW. Not so. Untless the course is part of an approved program or somthing like that. Read all the stuff. Here oln gCaptain. Excelelnt detail.

Basically to get your RFPNW youll have to have 180 day on boats of a certain tonage (200 grt I think). Be advised it doesn matter if you work a 12 hour or 8 watch. YOull still need 180 days PLUS a bunch of assessments signed by your captain or soem other specified people in NMC Policy Letter 14-02.

As I was told, you aint nuthin but anoter limp dick till ya get that RFPNW. Once you get that RFPNW you can ship on anything and go anywhere in the world.

There are lots of boats in the GOM you can get your time/tonnage/assessments. GO do. I did :slight_smile:

Bob

i have my AB Unlimited with lifeboatman and RFPNW and it’s all on my MMC do i actually get a STCW certificate, also is this considered STCW 95

You will not get an STCW certificate. All your STCW quals are listed on their own page in your MMC.

Thanks for all the replies so I’m guessing my job will pay me for the AB once I get it from USCG. We do work in GOM though none of our vessels are over 120 tons. I’m going call my job this week see what they say also. Money tight right now already paid $800 and $700 for the two classes will look around see how much is school is for other Navigation watch

Bob, WHere are these boats. (There are lots of boats in the GOM you can get your time/tonnage/assessments. GO do. I did)

I thought the majority of the boats were classified under 100 tons…

There’s a bunch of boats that come in between 100-200 GRT. Most of the frew boats and utilities atr less than 100, liftboats can run up through 1600 ton and your supply boats can as well. This “regulatory” tonnage is what screws mariners. My boat comes in at 137 regulatory, but 1370 international… Figure that one out.

This is one of many that fit the bill.

http://www.chouest.com/Newsletter.html

Bob