OS going to AB questions

I have around 13 days on a 95grt 65’ tug and 80 days on a 97grt 70’ tug. They are 12hr days. I want to become an AB but I’m closest to AB-OSV but from what I read I need RFPNW which I can’t with the size of boats I’ve been on. I’ve read about the 2 day classes that let me get a year pass to get it done to complete everything. If I was going to an OSV as AB-OSV with the 2 day class could I upgrade to AB-Special as soon as I get 240 days or do I have to wait until my MMC is about to expire? I might be going about this all wrong hince why I’m asking you guys. Thanks

you can upgrade as your time/tonnage allows regardless of the expiration on the MMC. And as far as I can tell you dont have to have the RFPNW to get an AB but you would need it to be part of a navigational watch.

Rfpnw is an endorsement for your stcw '95. You will also need to complete basic safety training or BST to get an stcw. You don’t have to have these classes to get your ab ticket.

You will need your stcw to sail offshore. Maybe you already have your stcw.
You will then have to get rfpnw added to your stcw to sail as an offshore ab.

You don’t have to have these classes or an stcw to get your ab ticket.

You can sail on the great lakes without an stcw as an ab.

I would recommend getting all of your seatime in before taking any stcw classes.

You can get a home study kit for ab and start studying now for your ab test and sit for your test at the cg rec.

I recommend getting an ab special instead of osv. Ab osv will limit you to the oil field. You can go a lot more places on an ab special and then upgrade to limited and finally unlimited in the future by just submitting sea time.

If you get your sea time in b4 your mmc expires I would sit for my ab as soon as I got my time in. You don’t have to wait for renewal if you get your time in first.

For a really good home study kit order one from houston marine.

For someone to answer your questions over the phone call Sea K’s Licensing at 734 847 1723.

Chuck is a good guy and will not charge you anything for good advice or to answer a question.

Consider using him when you are ready to upgrade. He is cheap and will make sure your paperwork goes through without a hitch.

Good luck bro

My thought is to get anything you can (this case the AB Spec-OSV), as soon as you can…Finding the time to take a class or schedule testing at REC can be extremely difficult for an EMPLOYED Mariner. Why not go ahead and knock out a class as soon as you can??

The extra six months you will need for the ‘AB Special W/O the OSV restriction’ , is time that you might possibly be working as an AB ( yes on an OSV )…OR…taking the other classes you might possibly need such as PSC or BST. RFPNW can be done aboard a vessel, saving you money for other classes. Most OSVs will be large enough to sign off on RFPNW assessments, so you should be able to save money while making money.

Only catch…it looks like you still are short seatime for the OSV, even w/ the 12 hour days, Not too far off…but be sure you have the right time before sending in the application.

Good luck.

[QUOTE=kfj;32169]I have around 13 days on a 95grt 65’ tug and 80 days on a 97grt 70’ tug. They are 12hr days. I want to become an AB but I’m closest to AB-OSV but from what I read I need RFPNW which I can’t with the size of boats I’ve been on. I’ve read about the 2 day classes that let me get a year pass to get it done to complete everything. If I was going to an OSV as AB-OSV with the 2 day class could I upgrade to AB-Special as soon as I get 240 days or do I have to wait until my MMC is about to expire? I might be going about this all wrong hince why I’m asking you guys. Thanks[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure the 2-day course is going to give you much nbenefit. It only gets you RFPNW with a restriction to lookout only. The one year time limit is the validity of that lookout only endorsement. It doesn’t get you anything else, it doesn’t in any way reduce the requirements to get the unrestricted RFPNW. You also need to complete Basic Safety Training in order to get the RFPNW-Lookout endorsement. I’d make sure you are going to need the lookout-only endorsement where you’ll work before putting any time or money into it.

You can raidse the grade of AB at any time, but you’ll need to re-apply and go threough the full application process.

Thanks for all of the replies. From what I read and wasn’t sure it was right I needed RFPNW to get AB-Special but based on what you guys say I don’t. I also wanted to make sure if I went ahead and got ABOSV once I have the sea time it wouldn’t be a big deal to upgrade to special. I am just trying to make my self more marketable if I was to get laid off for some reason.

my two cents;

Dont go to the 2 day RFPNW class. It does nothing useful to get your RFPNW. Even if you do take that class you still need 180 days on vessels “properly equiped” plus onboard assessments. But that is all explained in great detail on gCaptain. Just search and read.

My humble advice:
1)go to the one week AB school.
2) Get that AB OSV
3) get a job as an AB

Youll also need BST and Lifeboatman if you dont have it already. In 180 days youll have your RFPNW which DOES make you valuable if you want to work deep sea.

There is a ton of discussion on this topic just search and read.
Bob, AB RFPNW

you dont need the BST’s but will need lifeboat or PSC.

I don’t know where you live, or plan on taking your classes, but:

Right now is a great time to take BST, not to hot for the Firefighting.
Take the Lifeboatman course before it gets real cold, boat drills suck in freezing weather.

Lifeboatman (or PSC) is [U][B]REQUIRED[/B][/U]. STCW BST makes you marketable when you want a change. RFPNW ain’t important on (most) tugs.

Pay attention, work hard and study…then you won’t have to count on luck.

Thanks again. Once I get some cash saved I plan on doing liftboat/psc and the week ab class and once I can BST.

Neither PSC or BST are requirements to receive your AB- Special OSV. Seatime and course certificate get you the first step. Next step… AB special (non OSV restriction) will require the PSC. Vessels that require STCW, will require an AB that has BST.

Long story short. AB OSVs DO NOT Need PSC and BST.

He says he works on tugs. Wants info on moving up to AB, not changing industries.

kfj- BST and Lifeboatman first will make the AB course easier.

I wouldn’t mind going osv but my main goal is to cover my ass if I get laid off. So I can submit for AB-OSV after having 120 days and taking an AB course. Do I have to submit a whole new application to ad lifeboatman and stcw? Or should I just hold off and submit it all at once. I plan on getting them all. Thasnks for the help. I’m sure its been asked before but I’m browsing via phone on the boat right now.

[B][I][U]Do I have to submit a whole new application to ad lifeboatman and stcw?

[/U][/I][/B]not a new package, you can add any stcw endorsement just by email them the document, NMC web site has directions[I] on this[/I][B][I][/I][/B]get the AB NOW, then add anything you want to it, You might have to test again for the AB if youg et the OSV and upgrade later but that is NO big deal[B][I][/I][/B]