AB( OSV) vs AB Special

What’s up guys. I currently work on a tug in the GOM. I want to work my way up to AB. When I get the seatime should I get my AB OSV (180 days) or just wait and get my AB Special (360 days) Company I work for doesn’t have OSV’s but in the near future I wouldn’t mind working on one to see how it is. I’d rather be a all around guy.

It won’t hurt to get it… If you get an AB OSV you won’t be able to work on your tug as an AB… It never hurts to get or shit in order as soon as you can… If you can afford it, I say do it…

There isn’t much demand for ABs on OSVs right now so I don’t see any benefit. If you really want it get it, but AB OSV won’t help you at your rig company.

Last year, I had a greenhorn kid on a tugboat as an OS. He made a point of learning the deck and the engine room. He worked 120 (12 hour) days straight. He immediately took the AB, RFPNW (Lookout only) and BST courses, and got his AB-OSV. With AB-OSV he got a good OS job at one of the better PNW tug companies. Now he has AB-Special and he’s a Deckineer. In three more years he’ll be in the wheelhouse.

So I suggest that you get the AB-OSV as fast as you can. You can use it your advantage —anywhere. It can be upgraded with no further course or exams.

As tugsailor said get it ASAP then upgrade when you have the days. I see no advantage to waiting.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;175380]Last year, I had a greenhorn kid on a tugboat as an OS. He made a point of learning the deck and the engine room. He worked 120 (12 hour) days straight. He immediately took the AB, RFPNW (Lookout only) and BST courses, and got his AB-OSV. With AB-OSV he got a good OS job at one of the better PNW tug companies. Now he has AB-Special and he’s a Deckineer. In three more years he’ll be in the wheelhouse.

So I suggest that you get the AB-OSV as fast as you can. You can use it your advantage —anywhere. It can be upgraded with no further course or exams.[/QUOTE]

When you said no further “course or exams” you mean when I get the seatime for AB special I won’t have to go to school for it. I can just upgrade immediately ?

[QUOTE=tugsailor;175380]Last year, I had a greenhorn kid on a tugboat as an OS. He made a point of learning the deck and the engine room. He worked 120 (12 hour) days straight. He immediately took the AB, RFPNW (Lookout only) and BST courses, and got his AB-OSV. With AB-OSV he got a good OS job at one of the better PNW tug companies. Now he has AB-Special and he’s a Deckineer. In three more years he’ll be in the wheelhouse.

So I suggest that you get the AB-OSV as fast as you can. You can use it your advantage —anywhere. It can be upgraded with no further course or exams.[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Wish I could trip more to get my seatime faster but we’re strictly getting 28/14. I guess I’m kind of ahead of the game. I already have my BST courses and what do you mean by “PNW tug companies”

[QUOTE=Mjordan22;175398]When you said no further “course or exams” you mean when I get the seatime for AB special I won’t have to go to school for it. I can just upgrade immediately ?[/QUOTE]

All the requirements for AB are the same except sea time. You can upgrade from AB OSV all the way to AB Unlimited with just sea time.

[QUOTE=z-drive;175390]As tugsailor said get it ASAP then upgrade when you have the days. I see no advantage to waiting.[/QUOTE]

Once you get your first AB endorsement, there is no additional testing to upgrade to another AB endorsement, so that is not a reason to delay.

[QUOTE=Mjordan22;175402]what do you mean by “PNW tug companies”[/QUOTE]

Pacific North West. The line haul tugs that operate out of Seattle and work the Bering Sea and such. Crowley, Western Towing, Sause Brothers, and Dunlap are the ones I can name offhand.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;175405]Pacific North West. The line haul tugs that operate out of Seattle and work the Bering Sea and such. Crowley, Western Towing, Sause Brothers, and Dunlap are the ones I can name offhand.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I’ll keep that in mind

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=jdcavo;175404]Once you get your first AB endorsement, there is no additional testing to upgrade to another AB endorsement, so that is not a reason to delay.[/QUOTE]

Ok I see now. What’s schools provide this class. I looked at SeaSchool and they only have AB Special

[QUOTE=Mjordan22;175407]Ok I see now. What’s schools provide this class. I looked at SeaSchool and they only have AB Special[/QUOTE]

As far as I can tell Sea School has an AB class, not a course for any specific grade of AB.

What’s the difference between a AB OSV and other AB’s?

[QUOTE=Kraken;175424]What’s the difference between a AB OSV and other AB’s?[/QUOTE]

Seatime and some tonnage/vessel length specifics, depending on which AB.

[QUOTE=Kraken;175424]What’s the difference between a AB OSV and other AB’s?[/QUOTE]

AB OSV is only good on OSVs and requires half the time as AB Special.

AB Special requires only 360 days of sea time and can be 100% of the required ABs on vessels under 500 GRT and up to 50% of the required ABs on other vessels.

AB Limited requires 540 days of sea time and can be 100% of the required ABs on vessels less than 1600 GRT. On a ship only half (or less) of the required ABs are allowed to be AB Limited.

AB Unlimited requires 1080 days of sea time.

Not quite. AB special can constitute all AB billets on vessels 500GRT or less and 50% of AB billets on any other vessels. AB limited can constitute all AB billets on vessels 1600GRT or less and 50% of AB billets on all other vessels. Ab unlimited is exactly that, no restrictions. So AB special is good for any tonnage but not for more than 50% of required ABs on vessels over 500GRT. See https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/46/7312.

Can a AB OSV be used at Boouchard Transportation? They have OSV’s right ?

No. And no they Do not.

Service or training requirements for able seaman (A/B) endorsements.
(a) The minimum service required to qualify for the various categories of endorsement as able seaman is as follows:

(1) Able seaman—unlimited. Three years of service on deck on vessels operating on oceans or on the Great Lakes.

(2) Able seaman—limited. Eighteen months of service on deck on vessels of 100 GRT or more which operate in a service not exclusively confined to the rivers and smaller inland lakes of the United States.

(3) Able seaman—special. Twelve months of service on deck on vessels operating on oceans or the navigable waters of the United States, including the Great Lakes.

(4) Able seaman—offshore supply vessels. Six months of service on deck on vessels operating on oceans or on the navigable waters of the United States, including the Great Lakes.

(5) Able seaman—sail. Six months of service on deck on sailing school vessels, oceanographic research vessels powered primarily by sail, or equivalent sailing vessels operating on oceans or on the navigable waters of the United States, including the Great Lakes.

(6) Able seaman—fishing industry. Six months of service on deck, not as a processor, onboard vessels operating on oceans or on the navigable waters of the United States, including the Great Lakes.

What’s the difference between AB OSV and AB Fish?

[QUOTE=DeckApe;175438]What’s the difference between AB OSV and AB Fish?[/QUOTE]

One fishes and one wishes they were fishin’?