Able Seaman—Special (OSV)

I got asked a question the other day that I’m a little ashamed to say I have no idea what the answer is, so I turn to the all-knowing wise forum members.

One of my guys is an OS that has 6 months of sea time and wants to get his AB.

I know that he can only get an AB Special (OSV) with that time, but my stupid question is, after he gets that, can he only sail on his AB on OSVs?

Or, is it like a regular AB Special where some unlimited ships can still take you as an AB?

He knows that if he waits a bit he can just get a regular AB Special, but he’s a bit of a go-getter.

Thanks for continuing to help me look like an all-knowing genius to my crew…

Based on my research he will be limited to working on OSVs but once he gets the sea time he can upgrade to special. I’m starting day 120 in 30min and after this trip I’m going to take the AB class and get OSV even though I’m on a tug and upgrade once I get another 120

I’m not sure how the AB courses are structured, as far as meeting the testing requirements up to unlimited AB. I see no need to take any course when you can take a very basic test at the REC in one morning versus taking a week class. If you test, it can be the unlimited test, but only get issued the one you qualify for at the time. Subsequent upgrades can be done by email with no need to go back to the REC.

Does the CG still allow the seaman to be checked off on board for lifeboat launch and commands and then take the written exam at the REC? This was common practice years ago.

[QUOTE=injunear;37520]Does the CG still allow the seaman to be checked off on board for lifeboat launch and commands and then take the written exam at the REC? This was common practice years ago.[/QUOTE]

There is no need for that because Proficiency in Survival Craft is a required class for STCW and those assessments are usually incorporated. You can have them done on the vessel, but it most like will be redundant to the course. You can still test at the Coast Guard, for AB. The 5 day AB course is not a requirement but meets the testing requirements. Personally, I would opt for taking the test at an REC and save your off time for important things, like hitting little white balls down fairways.

I was wondering if it was still allowed as everyone with “lifeboatman” endorsement was given the “proficiency in survival craft” when stcw went into effect. It was so much easier and cheaper to get checked off during boat drills and then test. And as you said, better use of time off.

Lifeboatman and the STCW requirement of Proficiency in Survival Craft are still different pieces to the puzzel.

For lifeboatman yes, but not for STCW Proficiency in Survival Craft (PSC). Currently that can only be done in an approved course. There are two types of PSC courses, a “restricted” course does not include lifeboats, a non-restricted coyrse includes lifeboatman and wioll also get tyou the lifeboatman endorsement (if you have the 6 months required sea time). Lifeboatman and PSC are separate as there are areas where you may need lifeboatman but not STCW (e.g. Great Lakes). But you can get both at the same time if you take the PSC course.

Note also that for lifeboatman, if you get checked off on a vessel and don’t take a course, you need one year of sea time in the deck department or two in other departments, but if you take a (non-restricted) Proficiency in Survival Craft course, you only need 6 months for the lifeboatman endorsement.

I am about to get my AB (OSV). I am wondering if there are companies willing to hire someone with said credential. Most AB openings I come across either want limited/unlimited or 2-3years of experience, neither of which I will have. I’m thinking a headhunter might be the best option

[QUOTE=injunear;37520]Does the CG still allow the seaman to be checked off on board for lifeboat launch and commands and then take the written exam at the REC? This was common practice years ago.[/QUOTE]

It’s still vaild, but only for Lifeboatman, not STCW. If you want STCW, ort thik you may need it in the future, you should take a Proficiency in Survival Craft, that will qualify you for both lifeboatman and STCW.

tell him to not waste his time! Wait another 6 months… 1 year total and get the AB Special… not AB Special(OSV)… it will probably take that long to finish all the class (AB & PSC) anyway.
If he turns the course completion certificate in requesting AB Special (OSV), he will have to retest or retake the class in order to upgrade to a higher AB but if he waits to turn in the certificate with an application for AB Special he can upgrade to Limited and/or Unlimited with just sea-time… not another test/class… he will have to upgrade to a higher AB later in his career, to go to 500/1600, to get off of an OSV, to work out of the country,… JUST WAIT THE FULL 1 YEAR!!!

If he is going for his 500 or 1600ton Mate/Master the AB Special OSV will qualify for the “6 months as an Able Seaman” so it could get him to a limited license faster depending on how much time he already has. all found under CFR 46 11.4xx

“…The minimum service required to qualify an applicant for an endorsement as mate of near coastal steam or motor vessels of not more than 1600 gross tons is two years total service in the deck department of ocean or near coastal steam or motor, sail, or auxiliary sail vessels. Service on Great Lakes and inland waters may substitute for up to one year of the required service. One year of the required service must have been on vessels of over 100 gross tons. Six months of the required service must have been as able seaman, boatswain, quartermaster, or equivalent position on vessels of over 100 gross tons while holding a certificate or endorsement as able seaman.”

[CGD 81–059, 54 FR 138, Jan. 4, 1989, as amended by USCG–2006–24371, 74 FR 11242, Mar. 16, 2009]

AB Special cannot work on unlimited vessels. Only a portion of their required ABs are allowed to be less than AB Unlimited but those must be AB Limited. AB Special are allowed to be ABs on limited tonnage vessels.

If you can upgrade from AB OSV to AB Special and beyond without retesting then go for it. If not than it is a waste of time, wait the full year and get the AB Special.

Very Limited… Don’t waste his time!

§ 11.401 Ocean and near-coastal officer or STCW endorsements.

(g) In order to obtain a master or mate endorsement with a tonnage limit above 200 gross tons, or an endorsement for 200 gross tons or less with an ocean route, whether an original, raise in grade, or increase in the scope of the endorsement authority to a higher tonnage category, the applicant must successfully complete the following training and examination requirements:

(1) Approved firefighting course;

(2) Approved radar-observer course; and

(3) Qualification as an able seaman unlimited or able seaman limited (able seaman special or able seaman offshore supply vessels satisfy the able seaman requirement for endorsements permitting service on vessels of 1,600 gross tons or less).

I got asked a question the other day that I’m a little ashamed to say I have no idea what the answer is, so I turn to the all-knowing wise forum members.