Able Seaman question?

So I am currently an OS right now and I am about 20 days shy of the 360 days required to be an AB Special. My question is, can I take the course for AB and take the AB test before I have enough sea days? Will the endorsement kick in when I have reached the required days or do I have to wait until I have the 360 days in?
I’m wondering because an AB position will be opening up on the boat I’m sailing on right about the time I’ll have enough sea days to qualify as AB and I want to make sure I get the job. Thanks

Pretty sure you can do the course and test at the school, then when you have the time, submit it all in.

now if you submit your course certificate prior to you making the required sea time, the rec could either tell you it is an incomplete app, or they will forward it to the NMC and the evaluation may get delayed. I would wait till you have everything to make it a complete app.

IIRC, as an OS you have one year to get the sea time after the AB course.

And get your lifeboat while your at it.

[QUOTE=Xavier6162;157637]IIRC, as an OS you have one year to get the sea time after the AB course.

And get your lifeboat while your at it.[/QUOTE]

The course is good for a year. And you cannot get any AB endorsement without also getting either Lifeboatman or Lifeboatman-Limited.

Schedule your AB course and then Proficiency in survival craft should be able to test for both at school.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;157682]The course is good for a year. And you cannot get any AB endorsement without also getting either Lifeboatman or Lifeboatman-Limited.[/QUOTE]

I figured as much. Came accross a classroom at the Training Resource Center in San Diego full of MSC’s SUs. One was a mess-person form Conoco Phillips VIA the Union SUP. They had just completed the AB course and were on their way to Lifeboatman.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;157682]The course is good for a year. And you cannot get any AB endorsement without also getting either Lifeboatman or Lifeboatman-Limited.[/QUOTE]

Correct me if I am wrong. Can my current captain sign off on my lifeboatman and my practicals? I plan on taking an online course because I am currently working on a ship. Thanks for any info

[QUOTE=Boatjosh;157735]Correct me if I am wrong. Can my current captain sign off on my lifeboatman and my practicals? I plan on taking an online course because I am currently working on a ship. Thanks for any info[/QUOTE]

Yes, but only for the national emndorsement, and you wioll also have to take a written exam. This method also requirwes morwe sea time.

A course is the only way to get the STCW endorsement for Proficiency in Survival Craft.