STCW 95 Help?

Hi Folks,
Can any of you help me with the hierarchy of the STCW codes? I’ve been reading the manual but am not finding the answers that I’m looking for. I wrote to the CO & XO of the NMC and asked them for help - ya, I know…It was an expression of futility, but I felt better for a few minutes.

I have the following on page 4 - II/1; IV/2; VI/5. My questions pertain to the STCW codes referenced on my certificates of completion and whether or not they are all covered by the II/1 code? In particular:

GMDSS - It’s listed in Capacities but shouldn’t it be on page 4? My Cert from PMI says meets Table A-IV/2 of STCW
II/4 - RFPNW - I know that the CG has said that the OICNW covers it but employers WANT TO SEE it…
VI/1 - BST
VI/2 - Lifeboatman/ Rescue Craft
VI/3 - Advanced Fire fighting
VI/4 - MedPro
VIII/2 - BRM

Then there is my AB, AB what? It should be AB Limited. Should Lifeboatman be on there as well? This just seems to add to the frustration of the job hunt…Off to fix a Deere.
As always, any help greatly appreciated.
MTSKIER

[quote=mtskier;16292]Hi Folks,
Can any of you help me with the hierarchy of the STCW codes? I’ve been reading the manual but am not finding the answers that I’m looking for. I wrote to the CO & XO of the NMC and asked them for help - ya, I know…It was an expression of futility, but I felt better for a few minutes.

I have the following on page 4 - II/1; IV/2; VI/5. My questions pertain to the STCW codes referenced on my certificates of completion and whether or not they are all covered by the II/1 code? In particular:

GMDSS - It’s listed in Capacities but shouldn’t it be on page 4? My Cert from PMI says meets Table A-IV/2 of STCW
II/4 - RFPNW - I know that the CG has said that the OICNW covers it but employers WANT TO SEE it…
VI/1 - BST
VI/2 - Lifeboatman/ Rescue Craft
VI/3 - Advanced Fire fighting
VI/4 - MedPro
VIII/2 - BRM

Then there is my AB, AB what? It should be AB Limited. Should Lifeboatman be on there as well? This just seems to add to the frustration of the job hunt…Off to fix a Deere.
As always, any help greatly appreciated.
MTSKIER[/quote]

do you hold an officer endorsement?

[B][COLOR=black]Here is what all that crap means.
[/B] [/COLOR]
<DIV align=center>[B]DECK [/B]USCG LICENSE[B]STCW 95 REGULATION[/B][B]LEVEL[/B]Master Unlimited TonnageUnlimited Near Coastal or Oceans[B]A-II/2[/B][B]Management[/B]Mates (OICNW) Unlimited Tonnage Chief Mate Unlimited Near Coastal or Oceans[B]A-II/2[/B][B]Management[/B]3rd or 2nd Mate Unlimited Near Coastal or Oceans[B]A-II/1[/B][B]Operational[/B]Master Limited Tonnage[B]1600grt/3000gt ITC[/B]Near Coastal / Oceans[B]A-II/2[/B][B]Management[/B]Inland[B]non STCW 95[/B][B]n/a[/B][B]500grt[/B]Near Coastal / Oceans[B]A-II/2[/B][B]Management[/B]Inland[B]non STCW 95[/B][B]n/a[/B][B]200 grt/500gt ITC[/B]Domestic Near Coastal[B]non STCW 95[/B][B]n/a[/B]Inland[B]non STCW 95[/B][B]n/a[/B]Domestic Oceans[B]non STCW 95[/B][B]n/a[/B]Near Coastal International[B]A-II/3[/B][B]Operational[/B]Mates (OICNW) Limited Tonnage [B]1600grt/3000gt ITC[/B] Near Coastal / Oceans[B]A-II/1[/B][B]Operational[/B]Inland[B]non STCW 95[/B][B]n/a[/B][B]500grt[/B] Near Coastal / Oceans[B]A-II/1[/B][B]Operational[/B]Inland[B]non STCW 95[/B][B]n/a[/B][B]200 grt/500gt ITC[/B] Domestic Near Coastal[B]non STCW 95[/B][B]n/a[/B]Inland[B]non STCW 95[/B][B]n/a[/B]Domestic Oceans[B]non STCW 95[/B][B]n/a[/B]Near Coastal International[B]A-II/3[/B][B]Operational[/B][B]ENGINEERING [/B]USCG LICENSE[B]STCW 95 Regulation[/B][B]Level[/B]QMED (see MMD)Designated Duty Engineer (1000,4000,Unlimited)[B]A-III/1[/B][B]Operational[/B]Assistant Engineer Limited 1600grt/3000gt[B]A-III/1[/B][B]Operational[/B]Chief Engineer Limited -Near Coastal[B]A-III/2[/B][B]Management[/B]Chief Engineer Limited -Oceans 1600grt/3000gt[B]A-III/2[/B][B]Management[/B]Chief Engineer Uninspected Fishing Vessels*[B]A-III/2[/B][B]Management[/B]Chief Engineer Offshore Supply Vessels**[B]A-III/2[/B][B]Management[/B]3rd or 2nd Assistant Engineer Unlimited[B]A-III/1[/B][B]Operational[/B]First Assistant Engineer Unlimited[B]A-III/2[/B][B]Management[/B]Chief Engineer Unlimited[B]A-III/2[/B][B]Management[/B][B]MERCHANT MARINERS DOCUMENTS[/B][B]STCW 95 Regulation[/B][B]Level[/B]Ordinary Seaman[B]non STCW 95[/B][B]n/a[/B]Specially Trained Ordinary Seaman (STOS) - RFPNW[B]A-II/4[/B][B]Support (Rating)[/B]Able Seaman - RFPNW[B]A-II/4[/B][B]Support (Rating)[/B]Qualified Member of Engine Department - RFPEW[B]A-III/4[/B][B]Support (Rating)[/B]

[LEFT]Mtskier
Don’t know if this wil help you or not.
[/LEFT]
[B]When a code is written the department is listed first followed by the level. [/B]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=2]For example: II/2 Deck / Management
[/SIZE][/FONT][B]Departments: Capacities II [/B][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=2]Deck [/SIZE][/FONT][B]III [/B][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=2]Engineering
NOTE: STCW Codes that begin with numbers other than II/ or III/ do not designate the capacity a mariner can serve in. They would generally indicate training that had been accomplished, i.e. certificates that show compliance with VI/1 indicate completion of Basic Safety Training because that is the regulation that is defined by chapter VI of the STCW Code. Please refer to the STCW Code book published by the IMO for complete information or call MPT for assistance.
[/SIZE][/FONT][B]STCW Levels: 1 [/B][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=2]Operational [/SIZE][/FONT][B]2 [/B][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=2]Management [/SIZE][/FONT][B]3 [/B][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=2]<500 tons or <3000kw or certain restricted certificates varying by administration [/SIZE][/FONT][B]4 [/B][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=2]Ratings (can be an engineering, deck or general yacht rating)
[/SIZE][/FONT][B][SIZE=3]USCG Licenses & Corresponding STCW CODES [/SIZE][SIZE=1]DECK [/SIZE][/B][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1][COLOR=#ffffff]USCG LICENSE [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][SIZE=1]STCW 95 REGULATION [/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=1]LEVEL [/SIZE][/B]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1][COLOR=#ff0000]Master Unlimited Tonnage [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1]Unlimited Near Coastal or Oceans [/SIZE][/FONT]
[B]A-II/2 [/B]
[B]Management [/B]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1][COLOR=#ff0000]Mates (OICNW) Unlimited Tonnage [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1]Chief Mate Unlimited Near Coastal or Oceans [/SIZE][/FONT]
[B]A-II/2 [/B]
[B]Management [/B]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1]3rd or 2nd Mate Unlimited Near Coastal or Oceans [/SIZE][/FONT]
[B]A-II/1 [/B]
[B]Operational [/B]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1][COLOR=#ff0000]Master Limited Tonnage [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B]1600grt/3000gt ITC [/B]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1]Near Coastal / Oceans [/SIZE][/FONT]
[B]A-II/2 [/B]
[B]Management [/B]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1]Inland [/SIZE][/FONT]
[B]non STCW 95 [/B]
[B]n/a [/B]
[B]500grt [/B]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1]Near Coastal / Oceans [/SIZE][/FONT]
[B]A-II/2 [/B]
[B]Management [/B]
[B]non STCW 95 [/B]
[B]n/a [/B]
[B]200 grt/500gt ITC [/B]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1]Domestic Near Coastal [/SIZE][/FONT]
[B]non STCW 95 [/B]
[B]n/a [/B]
[B]non STCW 95 [/B]
[B]n/a [/B]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1]Domestic Oceans [/SIZE][/FONT]
[B]non STCW 95 [/B]
[B]n/a[/B]
[B]ENGINEERING [/B][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1]USCG LICENSE [/SIZE][/FONT]
[B]STCW 95 Regulation [/B]
[B]Level [/B]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1]QMED (see MMD) [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1]Designated Duty Engineer (1000,4000,Unlimited) [/SIZE][/FONT]
[B]A-III/1 [/B]
[B]Operational [/B]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1]Assistant Engineer Limited 1600grt/3000gt [/SIZE][/FONT]
[B]A-III/1 [/B]
[B]Operational [/B]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1]Chief Engineer Limited -Near Coastal [/SIZE][/FONT]
[B]A-III/2 [/B]
[B]Management [/B]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1]Chief Engineer Limited -Oceans 1600grt/3000gt [/SIZE][/FONT]
[B]A-III/2 [/B]
[B]Management [/B]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1]Chief Engineer Uninspected Fishing Vessels* [/SIZE][/FONT]
[B]A-III/2 [/B]
[B]Management [/B]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1]Chief Engineer Offshore Supply Vessels** [/SIZE][/FONT]
[B]A-III/2 [/B]
[B]Management [/B]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1]3rd or 2nd Assistant Engineer Unlimited [/SIZE][/FONT]
[B]A-III/1 [/B]
[B]Operational [/B]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1]First Assistant Engineer Unlimited [/SIZE][/FONT]
[B]A-III/2 [/B]
[B]Management [/B]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1]Chief Engineer Unlimited [/SIZE][/FONT]
[B]A-III/2 [/B]
[B]Management [/B]
[B]MERCHANT MARINERS DOCUMENTS [/B]
[B]STCW 95 Regulation [/B]
[B]Level [/B]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1]Ordinary Seaman [/SIZE][/FONT]
[B]non STCW 95 [/B]
[B]n/a [/B]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1]Specially Trained Ordinary Seaman (STOS) - RFPNW [/SIZE][/FONT]
[B]A-II/4 [/B]
[B]Support (Rating) [/B]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1]Able Seaman - RFPNW [/SIZE][/FONT]
[B]A-II/4 [/B]
[B]Support (Rating) [/B]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1]Qualified Member of Engine Department - RFPEW [/SIZE][/FONT]
[B]A-III/4 [/B]
[B]Support (Rating) [/B]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][SIZE=1]*Limited to Uninspected Fishing Industry Vessels **Limited to Offshore Supply Vessels [/SIZE][/FONT]