Starting a new career

I’m stuck on land with a desk job, and can’t wait to get back to sea. I grew up on the coast, sailing all kinds of small vessels with some offshore experience. My longest time at sea is 41 days, from Maine to the Falkland Islands on a 74 foot sloop. I understand that working as a merchant marine is entirely different than sailing, but its really hard to make a career out of sailing (unless you’re really lucky or already wealthy).

I have two degrees in electrical engineering (one Associates and one Bachelors). I’m currently working in an engineering MEP firm as a CAD manager making a decent hourly wage, but am struggling with the idea of sitting behind a desk pushing a mouse for the next 20+ years… I confessed this to a co-worker and he can see my love of adventure and the ocean, so he suggested becoming an engineer as a merchant marine. He said he has a friend who is a mariner making about $700/day as an engineer, and they only work something like 180 days/year.

I’ve done some preliminary research, exploring the NMC website, and I’ve got the basics: TWIC card, MMC, drug screening, background check, etc. I have a clean record, I’m in perfect health and I’m not worried about passing any of the exams/screenings/etc.

I’m going to start my TWIC card stuff within a week or so, and am curious as to how long it might take to become eligible for work aboard a ship? I know there are a million variables, but if everything goes smoothly, how many steps do I need to take?

To become an engineer, what do I have to do?

What positions should I avoid? What positions will increase my value/marketability?

What kind of wages should I expect or demand as an entry level sailor?

Is working on a cruise ship better/worse than a cargo ship/tanker?

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Take your Basic Safety Training and get your MMD then pack your bags and head to south Louisiana.

Take any job you can to start.

I’d imagine with an electrical engineering degree, he could get a pretty good job on a drill rig

You already have a BE, try getting a job as an engineer or inspector or something in a shipyard to start. Don’t go from the bottom up.

Go to the NMC web site for the USCG and look in the credentialing section for information. You will need to get your MMD to work as as a merchant seaman. The Gulf of Mexico has opening for ETO’s (electrical,technical, officer). I had one on a vessel with your same background. He worked in a chip plant and for NASA before going to sea for a living. It is not romantic like sailing but it pays a good living for 180 days work a year which leaves plenty of time to sail when you are off.

^^what he said^^

There is great demand for your skill set right now. You should be able to get an entry level ET position just based on your education. Large OSV’s, drillships and rigs all have multiple electricians and electronics techs onboard.

[QUOTE=BrianP;109949]…I have two degrees in electrical engineering (one Associates and one Bachelors). I’m currently working in an engineering MEP firm as a CAD manager making a decent hourly wage, but am struggling with the idea of sitting behind a desk pushing a mouse for the next 20+ years… I confessed this to a co-worker and he can see my love of adventure and the ocean, so he suggested becoming an engineer as a merchant marine. He said he has a friend who is a mariner making about $700/day as an engineer, and they only work something like 180 days/year.

I’ve done some preliminary research, exploring the NMC website, and I’ve got the basics: TWIC card, MMC, drug screening, background check, etc. I have a clean record, I’m in perfect health and I’m not worried about passing any of the exams/screenings/etc.

I’m going to start my TWIC card stuff within a week or so, and am curious as to how long it might take to become eligible for work aboard a ship? I know there are a million variables, but if everything goes smoothly, how many steps do I need to take?

To become an engineer, what do I have to do?

What positions should I avoid? What positions will increase my value/marketability?

What kind of wages should I expect or demand as an entry level sailor?

Is working on a cruise ship better/worse than a cargo ship/tanker?

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

If your EE bachelor’s degre is ABET accredited, you can qualify for a license as Third Assistant Engineer with 6 months time in the engine department. This time can be as wiper. See 46 CFR 11.516(a)(5).

Are you a Veteren?