Electrical Engineer looking to switch careers

Hello-
I am new to the forum and am impressed with all the information around, so thanks to all who contribute.
Basically, I am looking to get into the merchant mariner life.
I have an Electrical Engineering degree from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo and spent the spring of 2005 at sea on the Golden Bear with the CMA…so I have already technically been a merchant marine once…and frankly I loved being at sea. Granted we, the Cal Poly, students had a different life on board ship than the CMA cadets, but I still got a pretty good taste of what it is like.
Anyways, I graduated in 2007 and have been working in a cube job ever since and am done with it. I am now looking into what it would take to transition in to the merchant marine life and how possible it is to get employed without going through a full academy and/or what the best routes would be at this point.
Also, does having me BSEE help or would I pretty much be starting at the very bottom no matter what until I get some other certs etc?

I appreciate any advice.
Thanks!

yes, you can get seatime credit for having an engineering degree but somebody else here will have to give you the specific citation in the CFRs. What is your forte in EE? Drillships have some of the most complex electrical systems of any ship afloat and a person well versed in HV and frequency drives can write their own ticket.

CFR 46 11.516 paragraph (5)

“(5) Graduation from the mechanical or electrical engineering course of a school of technology accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, together with six months of service in the engine department of steam or motor vessels;”

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=3a2b89f6c05e079dc6d7dec7747204dd&rgn=div8&view=text&node=46:1.0.1.2.11.5.7.9&idno=46

I haven’t actually heard of anyone going this route. But I would guess that you should start by getting a basic MMC and finding a way to sail as a wiper for 6 months. Also you probably want to take the STCW Basic Safety Training (BST) course(search the site for more on that) But I would keep your day job until you have the MMC/TWIC/BST in hand and a company ready to take you on.

Theoretically you should be able to do six months and then send a copy of your discharges (the letters the ship gives you documenting your time on board), your diploma, and your STCW certificates* and you’ll be ready to rock out as a 3rd assistant engineer.

• I glossed over the part where you have to take a bunch of STCW courses like Basic Safety, fire fighting, and some other stuff. However the stuff in my first paragraph will take you the better part of a year. Come back to this site after you’ve completed step one.

[QUOTE=exsubguy;101562]CFR 46 11.516 paragraph (5)

“(5) Graduation from the mechanical or electrical engineering course of a school of technology accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, together with six months of service in the engine department of steam or motor vessels;”

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=3a2b89f6c05e079dc6d7dec7747204dd&rgn=div8&view=text&node=46:1.0.1.2.11.5.7.9&idno=46

I haven’t actually heard of anyone going this route. But I would guess that you should start by getting a basic MMC and finding a way to sail as a wiper for 6 months. Also you probably want to take the STCW Basic Safety Training (BST) course(search the site for more on that) But I would keep your day job until you have the MMC/TWIC/BST in hand and a company ready to take you on.

Theoretically you should be able to do six months and then send a copy of your discharges (the letters the ship gives you documenting your time on board), your diploma, and your STCW certificates* and you’ll be ready to rock out as a 3rd assistant engineer.

• I glossed over the part where you have to take a bunch of STCW courses like Basic Safety, fire fighting, and some other stuff. However the stuff in my first paragraph will take you the better part of a year. Come back to this site after you’ve completed step one.[/QUOTE]

The ABET accredited degree will shortwen the time to the 3rd AE license, but it does nothing for STCW, you’ll need 3 years of sea service to get officer in charge of an engineering watch. If you have a 3rd AE license but are without OICEW, your employment opportunities will be very limited.

Thanks for the tips!
I am leaving my current job either way, and so I was looking at giving sea life a shot as when I did 3 months before it was something I really enjoyed.
I will let you know where I end up and what route I take, just figured there might be a good spot on one of these rigs for someone who has a different skill set and background than most that go through the academy. But maybe that won’t matter much.
Thanks again!

[QUOTE=c.captain;101556]yes, you can get seatime credit for having an engineering degree but somebody else here will have to give you the specific citation in the CFRs. What is your forte in EE? Drillships have some of the most complex electrical systems of any ship afloat and a person well versed in HV and frequency drives can write their own ticket.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, with your background the oil and gas indutry would be your best bet. Going in to some sort of operations role as a Chief ET or Chief Electrician, maybe spending some time in shipyards as an Electrical Commissioning Engineer later on. You can transfer your electrical background over into Subsea Control systems, and go Subsea Engineer Route. With your degree, and background there are options, oil and gas being the quickest and easiest way to go offshore right away.

Try some of the companies in the gulf as an ETO. Electronic, Technical, Officer. We have a former NASA guy with an electrical engineers degree working with us out here. He doesn’t get watchstanding time but the company helped him get his MMD and twic. I worked with a Palestinian guy with a degree in automotive engineering in 1995. He was wiper for 6 months and sat for his license. Last time I saw him at the Calhoun school he was 1st engineer with a chiefs license. Good Luck.

Agreed with PDC and Steam, ETs and Electricians are in short supply in the GOM (Gulf of Mexico), as US Citizenship is required. You may find that the pay is better than 3rd assistant engineer… Some background with HV is good for Electrician and background with PLCs is good for ET. There will obviously be much more to learn, and you should be prepared to be away from home, between classes and being offshore, for a long time.

thanks all for the replies!
I have no problem being away from home…that is definitely part of the goal actually is to be able to travel. I am single, no wife or kids, so I am pretty flexible.
I will take a look into all the suggestions posted here and will definitely keep you informed with what I decide. In the meantime, any other suggestions/thoughts are always appreciated.
Thanks again!
Adam

Well, as luck would have it I landed a position in the engine room of a 96m US flag yacht. I have been onboard now for about 2 months and somewhat acting as the ETO as not many of the other engineers have much experience besides the chief. I am enjoying it greatly and, while I signed on for 3 months initially as a relief engineer, I am considering staying for a bit. It seems I may have landed a pretty rare opportunity given it is a very large ship and has >3000kW. So now I am looking at what courses I need to start taking to make the most of this opportunity here. Thanks again for all the help!

One thing I am a bit confused about. When I did my semester at sea, back in 2005, we had an MMD and I believe we did the full STCW course but maybe there is an abbreviated version. Is the MMD different from MMC? Is there an expiration on STCW courses or the MMD?
thanks again!

You could always go to work for the govt. !, the new Dyson class needs EET, (electronic engineering tech) great way to get in the door and those ships do a lot of sea time!

[QUOTE=moto;126303]One thing I am a bit confused about. When I did my semester at sea, back in 2005, we had an MMD and I believe we did the full STCW course but maybe there is an abbreviated version. Is the MMD different from MMC? Is there an expiration on STCW courses or the MMD?
thanks again![/QUOTE]

Search is your friend on this question… :wink:

Captoble-
Very valid point and I soon discovered you were indeed correct :slight_smile: My bad, need to get used to searching the forum before opening my mouth. Either way, looks like it does indeed expire but it also appears I can be logging my current sea time so that is good. My plan will be to get the 6 months sea time needed for 3rd assistant and get my TWIC/MMC/STCW during that time as well. Should set me up to have it all by mid year since we are always on the boat and then looking at going the oil route. Thank you all for your help. If anyone has any other suggestions, I welcome them or if you think I should stay on this larger yacht long enough to get my 2nd or 1st I would love feedback there too. Thanks!

You’re missing Mr. Cavo’s point that you need 3 years sea-time to get the STCW endorsement As officer in charge of an engineering watch. The license is nearly useless without that.

Z-Drive-
You are correct, I did miss that point. I didn’t realize I would need to have the STCW watch endorsement to be valuable as a 3rd AE and/or ETO. My thoughts would be that I could get that sea time while working as a 3rd AE/ETO but maybe I am incorrect here. Thanks for the heads up.

You probably could but a non-stcw 3rd mate job would probably be hard to come by if they even exist. Get an oiler ticket and work up the ranks where your background in electrical engineering will make a huge difference. Or like others have said there are plenty of opportunities in non watch standing roles around the industry with your background.

Isn’t the Great Lakes STCW exempt?

yes, as is inland. But most companies are crewing to more stringent standards… And would you really want to work for someone who doesn’t?

[QUOTE=moto;126445]Z-Drive-
You are correct, I did miss that point. I didn’t realize I would need to have the STCW watch endorsement to be valuable as a 3rd AE and/or ETO. My thoughts would be that I could get that sea time while working as a 3rd AE/ETO but maybe I am incorrect here. Thanks for the heads up.[/QUOTE]

NOAA hires ETs and EETs as seagoing billets, but they are not required to hold a credential.

I’m not going to recommend it as a career move, though. Like with the survey techs, the time does not count toward anything.