Green and going

I have been mining the internet looking at any maritime website available. There are many websites with promises that paint a very rosey picture of maritime employment. What is the reality of it all? I am wanting to take my electrical training and all this maintenance and construction experiance and do something practical. Other than an mmd and a twic card, what do I need to become an electrician on the water?

For your views thanks. I am gaining info from many places. I realize my wording is off because I don’t know anything yet, but I am learning. I am finding that marine electrical is a small specialized field you cant just walk into with a large corporation. I am now looking for small and mid-size companies. I will take an apprentice gig but I am really wanting to be on the water. Any suggestions for companies that will take a 2 year degree? I really don’t want to wait till I have a Bachelors in engineering to get my foot in the door.

All the Marine electricians that I have worked with on the water came from the SIU or the MFOW. Otherwise most of the time if a ship isn’t carrying an electrician, it will fall on the 3 AE

[QUOTE=brjones;59089]All the Marine electricians that I have worked with on the water came from the SIU or the MFOW. Otherwise most of the time if a ship isn’t carrying an electrician, it will fall on the 3 AE[/QUOTE]

Who fixes computer problems on the ship, for example, the navigation stuff?

With certain 2 year degrees, you can work as an ET in the oil field. They pay fairly good.

[QUOTE=MariaW;59117]Who fixes computer problems on the ship, for example, the navigation stuff?[/QUOTE]
Anyone who can…lol. Usually if it something on the bridge the mates would attempt to fix it before the engine dept would get called. I have to say that a lot of mates I have come across are more computer savvy than the engineers. Company also has an IT department that can access ships computers. Not equipment related computers, but office computers.

All generation 4 and above drillships and semisubs that I know of have ETs. Rarely, if ever, would anyone call a 3rd engineer to take care of a computer problem since the third is typically the least experienced member of the engineering department.
Tengineer