Newbie looking for help!

Hi All,

I have finally decided to walk the plank and jump into a new career. Having spent 10 years as a program manager in the auto industry and a few years in the construction industry, it is time for a change.

Here lies the question; what is the best way to go about getting into the maritime industry?

I have just received my T.W.I.C. card and my application for MMD is under review in VA. I hope to complete BST sometime in April.

Does an OS need to have BST for ocean jobs?

I just want to know what the quickest possible route is to actually get on a ship.

Thank you

I could be wrong, but I believe all ocean going mariners need BST.

Welcome to the maritime world.

Have you given any thought to what segment of the industry you want to get into? It sounds like you are looking for deep sea shipping.

The fastest way to get on a ship is to go the union route. The maritime unions have the pluses and minuses. But that would be the simplest and quickest way. There are also many non-union companies. There are also jobs on other types of vessels. Each has its own + and -.

Things to consider when making choices, in addition to the traditional pay and benefits, include; work/vacation rotation, paying for training while on vacation, pay while at said training, and whether travel to and from the ship is paid.

Thank you for the response!

Deep sea shipping is where I would like to end up. What area of the ship is still a bit up in the air, but considering that I am just starting out I think I have some time to figure that one out.

It seems to be a bit of a daunting task to find any cut and dry information regarding sea time (with or without schooling) to advance to AB and beyond and exactly what credentials are needed.

I have contacted Seafarers International and they more or less laughed at me and said there could be as much as a two year wait to get in. So the unions have left an initial bad taste in my mouth.

At this early stage, I’m not real concerned with benefits, vacation, etc. I just want to get on a boat and get things started.

Yes, you will need BST if affected by STCW and Oceans is affected.

actonusa - I too made a career change after 15 years in the engineering office. You have taken the first step MMD card. BST is required for all positions on a vessel (depending on tonnage) outside the coastline. Your best bet would be to wait until you have your AB before trying with the unions. I am not sure what area of the country you are in, but I would try local (if any) tow boat companies. Drop me a private message and I will try to help you out as much as possible. It can be a pain trying to get going in the right direction. Schools will help, but they are in the business of making money. Good luck! Brian

The SUP has openings for OS’s (STOS) on the west coast. They take priority over AB’s but only one STOS per ship.

If you don’t know what the abbreviations mean start studying.

[quote=Captmad;8154]The SUP has openings for OS’s (STOS) on the west coast. They take priority over AB’s but only one STOS per ship.

If you don’t know what the abbreviations mean start studying.[/quote]

LOL Captain Mad