Can someone help me with ranking and what not I'm curious and lost

So I am an engineer by trade from the navy I’m looking to move into commercial shipping. I know very little about th merchant marines. I am currently managing a marina full time and crewing on a 62 ft racing yacht as well. Eventually I would like to be a captain. Obviously that’s a long way off but in the mean time how does becoming an officer work. Are engineers officers? Can I work towards captain from the engineering department?

How does it work being an officer? Are engineers not considered officers at all. Do I need to be deck and ab etc to move up to the bridge?

Any suggested books about the merchant marines to learn more?

Lastly are private yacht crew and captains part of the merchant marines?

[QUOTE=Veit;47124]Lastly are private yacht crew and captains part of the merchant marines?[/QUOTE]

Well lad, it all depends if it’s a breakbulk commercial racing yacht or a boxboat commercial racing yacht, or if it fits in the slot of one of those pretend not to be a ship tank barge things then you might be, what’s it say on your MMC?

But, since you said it’s a private yacht, and a sailboat by the sound of it, no it’s not part of the merchant marine.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/

Veit, this site has most of the answers…But leave you with many more questions…lol…

.Take some time and look it over, read the links to the CFR’s…The come back and ask us your questions…It’s better if you do some research first then you’ll understand what we are talking about better…

When you get done with NMC’s page spend some time here as well…This will help you understand what your prior Navy time will do for you…

http://www.uscg.mil/directives/cim/16000-16999/CIM_16000_8B.pdf

Your question is a two part one. You need to determine whether you want to go deck or engine. Sea time is counted toward one or the other. NOT BOTH. Unfortunately time on the yachts that you have will limit you to a small license. Maybe 100 ton or so. Or maybe a engineers license for 1000 HP. There aren’t many good paying jobs right now for the small licenses. Look around this website, there are many threads from sailors with years experience lamenting the lack of jobs.

Working in the engine department can be both an Unlicensed position, and a licensed position. It depends on what type vessel you are on. Usually the definition that requires you to be licensed or not is the particular vessels ‘Certificate of Inspection’ (COI.) Not every boat IS inspected. Most are Documented (that is federally registered) instead of having state FL 1234PR (for example) numbers. Typically boats (of many sizes) are Inspected so that they can carry passengers ‘for hire’; either short trips (like ferrys) or longer term charter (like dinner boats.) On the COI it is stated how many, and what license they must have to legally crew (man) a boat. If a boat is UN inspected then by law it CAN’T carry more than 6 passengers (plus one crew) total of seven aboard. Thus the term ‘six pack’ license. Yachts typically have unlicensed engineers, since a license costs more to hire. And the captain is usually licensed, since most larger Yachts carry some passengers for compensation. It really strange how the compensation is figured out. And insurance is a lot less if there is a licensed Captain running the vessel. COI’s state the minimum crew needed to run. From stating the vessel may operate with ONE licensed operator, or two (depending on how many hours per day it will operate, to specifying how many crew, in each department are required. It just depends on how big, how many passengers, and where it will be running.

Likely your seatime from the navy would count towards an engine license, but you need all your service records, and dd214. In addition you need letters attesting to service signed by the officers who actually SAW you do the work. Do you have their contact info?

If you want to progress past small licenses (50, 100 ton; or limited engineering licenses) you will need time aboard larger vessels, with higher tonnage, and/or horsepower.

Just curious, what are you looking for a yacht career, or in the shipping, tug end? Either way, if you have a merchant mariners credential you ARE in the merchant marine! But there are many differing sectors to work in.

[QUOTE=Veit;47124] Are engineers not considered officers at all? [/QUOTE]

Unfortunately…Yes. :slight_smile: They are officers.

[QUOTE=Capt. Lee;47136]Unfortunately…Yes. :slight_smile: They are officers.[/QUOTE]

HAH!! I’m not telling our snipes about this…

Veit, this is something I ran across in Marine safety Manual ,it will help get you started…

1. Transcript Of Sea Service. The Transcript Of Sea Service provides the periods of
    assignment, name of vessel, and capacity (rate/rank) served. The application must contain
    a Transcript Of Sea Service, not a shipboard generated letter or DD-214. Standard Form
    SF-180, Request Pertaining To Military Records, may be used by the applicant to obtain a
    transcript. This form lists the addresses of all the services where the request should be
    sent. The Federal Record Center, at St. Louis, MO, is not sending the ex-service person
    Transcripts of Sea Service. Instead, they are sending various pages from their personnel
    files which document when, where, rate, and duration of the applicant’s sea service.
    Evaluators will have to become familiar with the various forms and how to extract the
    pertinent information. Because these forms are military in nature, MSO administration
    offices or PERSRUs could be of assistance in deciphering the information. The SIP may
    accept other documentation attesting to sea service if it has the same level of authenticity
    as a transcript. In other words, will it stand up to an audi

Quick and dirty answers:

Are engineers officers?
Yes

Can I work towards captain from the engineering department?
No

How does it work being an officer?
Similar as in the USN but without the fixation on uniforms or formalities.

Are engineers not considered officers at all?
Engineers are officers and follow the same rank structure as the deck (captain::ChEng, ExOfficer::first assistant eng…).

Do I need to be deck and ab etc to move up to the bridge?
Yes. However you may attend a four year maritime school and skip AB and jump from cadet to officer.

Hope that helps some.

Firstly thanks to the answers

As far asu military sea time. I don’t have any. I was the only engineer in my class sent to shore duty. So although I was a machinist mate and later converted to engineman I never spent any significant time at sea although I stood on boats at the dock and in the yard daily.

I know what engineering work is like and I love it. I just don’t see myself doing it when I’m fifty. Not that I think being on th bridge is easy. I’m sure it’s just as difficult and stressful if not more so.

As far as working on yachts. I would much prefer staying and working on luxury yachts but although the money is amazing and the opportunities endless it is difficult to find healthcare and time off is nearly impossible. Also traveling up and down the cost not having anytime at home makes it difficult to have a family. I don’t mind being away months at a time or more but in the yacht industry I find you don’t have too much comparable time off. Idealy I’d do the two weeks on two weeks off. Or even two weeks on one week off. I would also prefer tugs. Ideally in new York harbor since my family is there.

Viet - Thanks for the additional information about yourself.

Crewboat working in the oil patch carry a crew of four: 1st & 2nd captain, unlicensed engineer, and deckhand. With your background, you could get on as an unlicensed engineer on a crewboat and that sea time time will qualify as time toward a 100 T Master license. Don’t know if it is the same or not with uninspected tugs.

The NMC has a checklist for the requirements for the various licenses and ratings. Unfortuneately, there is none posted for Master 100 Ton. Drop them an email, and they will send you the checklist, usually within 24 hrs.

Here’s the website: http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/ Go down to the lower right hand part of the page and click on “click here (IASKNMC)”.

Good luck!

[QUOTE=water;47148]Crewboat working in the oil patch carry a crew of four: 1st & 2nd captain, unlicensed engineer, and deckhand. With your background, you could get on as an unlicensed engineer on a crewboat and that sea time time will qualify as time toward a 100 T Master license. Don’t know if it is the same or not with uninspected tugs.
The NMC has a checklist for the requirements for the various licenses and ratings. Unfortuneately, there is none posted for Master 100 Ton.[/QUOTE]

[B][U]IMHO[/U][/B]…100tn checklist from the NMC site:
http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/master_100.pdf

I’m assuming you still have access to the G.I. Bill, what about getting a deck license at SUNY.

Do I need to do the four year program. I’m trying to avoid that since I have financial obligations that won’t let me just go back to college.

[QUOTE=Veit;47158]Do I need to do the four year program. I’m trying to avoid that since I have financial obligations that won’t let me just go back to college.[/QUOTE]
MITAGS/PMI has a 2 year program …It’s geared toward the tug industry but you would come out with a 1600 ton mate with towing endorsement…