Is this the general understanding of it all?

I just was hoping for clarity or any misconceptions done away with from all the research I’ve doing.

Trying to switch careers into something more pleasing and difficult (challenging might be a better, more positive word), and I’ve always had my nose shoved into odd interests and for some reason the engine room of a boat is one of them? I mean a sea-life in general is an amazing prospect but I feel the engine department better suits my tastes but…

I am with an utter and complete lack of experience, other than jumping on my mates sailboat anytime we get the itch to do so, that’s… really about it. But I understand that while it may be a tad more a trial it’s entirely possible for me to wiggle my way into a career.

It’s just trying to wrap my head around everything.

So. Basically. TWIC (already obtained) and MMD(MMC? same thing? waiting on drug test appointment as well) aside… From there it’s just sea-time in the appropriate area and climb up, clawing and kicking, essentially? I rather not accumulate sea-time from IN CLASS work, because for some reason that feels cheaty (and I have far too much energy to tolerate sitting still), but I do plan on eventually taking a few courses to help along the way, but for knowledgeable purposes only so I don’t utterly fail at my tasks and put people and equipment at risk.

Is that about right? Or is there something I may be missing? Is it TWIC > MMD > then just finding a job as a wiper? Or should I at least start off with like a FOWT course then throw myself at people?

Stay close to the ocean :slight_smile: this is what we advise all who have some kind of hobby or interest or occupation related to anything marine.

Ferry operations often hire unlicensed engineers or wipers…not great money but good sea time and experience. Most high speed ferries are well over 4000 HP so you could get a DDE Unlimited out of the sea time…

[QUOTE=alb;149320]I just was hoping for clarity or any misconceptions done away with from all the research I’ve doing.

Trying to switch careers into something more pleasing and difficult (challenging might be a better, more positive word), and I’ve always had my nose shoved into odd interests and for some reason the engine room of a boat is one of them? I mean a sea-life in general is an amazing prospect but I feel the engine department better suits my tastes but…

I am with an utter and complete lack of experience, other than jumping on my mates sailboat anytime we get the itch to do so, that’s… really about it. But I understand that while it may be a tad more a trial it’s entirely possible for me to wiggle my way into a career.

It’s just trying to wrap my head around everything.

So. Basically. TWIC (already obtained) and MMD(MMC? same thing? waiting on drug test appointment as well) aside… From there it’s just sea-time in the appropriate area and climb up, clawing and kicking, essentially? I rather not accumulate sea-time from IN CLASS work, because for some reason that feels cheaty (and I have far too much energy to tolerate sitting still), but I do plan on eventually taking a few courses to help along the way, but for knowledgeable purposes only so I don’t utterly fail at my tasks and put people and equipment at risk.

Is that about right? Or is there something I may be missing? Is it TWIC > MMD > then just finding a job as a wiper? Or should I at least start off with like a FOWT course then throw myself at people?[/QUOTE]

So yes you would need your MMD (merchant mariner document), it should come with entry level ratings, then you would apply for a job as a wiper, or some other entry level job (MSC might be good for that), build your seatime, and experience, eventually aquire QMED (endorsements on your MMC) through classes and seatime, then years of that, additional classes and more seatime and experience, and then you can apply for a license as an engineer.

Or go to school for four years, CMA, Kings point(gag), or any of the maritime academies, and come out with third engineer unlimited. Alternately, I think the inland vessels don’t require licensed engineers, so it would be a good way to build seatime, also quicker route to running as engineer. Places like Kirby, and many others.

there are also places like Tongue Point which can help you get QMED. Good luck.

MSC is something I was looking at, have it in mind for whenever I get all my things gathered up. That and a small handful of companies that I’m keeping track of in case they wind up hollering for new people. Also on that bit, would getting my BST out of the way/asap make me more appealing? Or should I wait? … It kind of seems like it SHOULD be something even entry-level guys should grab anyways.

And do BST courses normally cost around 1k or is that just in Maryland? … Sliiiightly off-topic but either my googling skills are failing me or is Maryland scarce on maritime related anything? Seems more limited. That or my keywords suck.

Definitely not interested in going the four year route though, I have bills to pay so I need to be able to make more than 12 year old’s allowance and not making money for a long period of time is way out of the question too.

The only training schools I know of in Maryland are MITAGS and the SIU school in Piney Point. There are a ton near Norfolk though.

There are a number of tug companies out of Baltimore (major ones are Moran, McAllister, and Vane Brothers) that hire unlicensed engineers if you have any mechanical experience or you could hire on as a deckhand and train with the engineer. You might even be able to get your sea time letter written as OS/Wiper time and use it for an engineering license.

I wouldn’t shell out for BST unless you either want to or think you want to work where it is required, like on an OSV. The tug jobs I mentioned don’t need it and probably won’t care that you have it and MSC will provide it for you, I think regardless of if you already have it or not.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;149587]The only training schools I know of in Maryland are MITAGS and the SIU school in Piney Point.[/QUOTE]

Not to side track this thread but the MEBA school is located in Easton, MD. Not sure what the courses cost for non-members but the option is there.

[QUOTE=Chief Seadog;149596]Not to side track this thread but…[/QUOTE]

Please hijack; all info is good info.

That aside, I did bookmark their school for future reference, and everything else mentioned in the thread.

You guys have provided some interesting points which I’ll keep in mind. It’s just a little nerve wracking trying to figure out where to start it all, considering I want to dive right into it before taking smaller courses. I’m sure I’ll have frustrated moments of a lack of companies wanting to drag along such a fresh body. But, I’m willing to fight for it and absorb everything like a sponge, even if the pay is ‘meh’. Gotta start somewhere.