Marine job information

i have been interested in the marine industry for awhile now but find it difficult to get information…i have been a mechanic for 20 years…autos,heavy equipment,military tactical equipment,generators,etc…are there any shipboard jobs that my background would be an asset…

Brendle5 - The answer is yes. Your skills would transition over to the maritime industry. You will have to have seatime on a vessel and then some testing. Of course, there will be more then just engines on the tests that you will have to take. First step would be to apply for a TWIC card, then after you receive that, apply for with the USCG for a MMC. Getting both of these will “help” you get your foot in the door with a company. When you finally get hired on with a company, you will probably start as a wiper in the engine room. After you get more seatime then you can again submitt your application to the USCG for the next step to moving up. I am a little baffled with the procedures in the engine room for moving up to Chief Engineer, so maybe one of the other more informed members will pick up where I left off.

Good luck

thanks for the info.i have a TWIC card and will check into the other monday…really looking for a second career right now…been working around the world for the last 20 years and now that i have pretty much stopped doing contract work,i just can’t hardly stand being at home all the time…

Brendle,
welcome aboard

In regards to the TWIC card that you have…Do you know what occupation you listed it under? Example, marine , trucking,ect…

The Twic will need to have a marine occupation or the Coast Guard won’t be able to read it…If you call the TWIC help line they can answer this question for you and I believe they can change it for you if need be…

Good Luck…