Any suggestions?

I have been browsing through some threads here for the past week and decided to finally make an account. I have been trying get on as a deckhand, inland, for some time now. Applied to several places and have had no luck. No call backs/interviews from companies that are supposedly desperate for people. Below are the companies I have applied to and this list is just from what I can remember, probably about double that in all reality.

Waxler
Florida Marine
Marquette
Ingram
Artco
Illinois Marine Towing

I recently was talking to a captain from Ingram, and he told me I am wasting my time. He told me if I did not know in anyone who could get me on, that I am not going to get on. His grandfather was a captain, his father just retired as a captain, his brothers a mate and his mothers a cook. I had suspected this for sometime, but having someone who actually works in the industry tell you this…

I do not have my Twic or any USCG licenses, Merchant Mariner Documents, etc. All I have are my old PQS (Personnel Qualifications) from the Navy, Passport and also my sea duty time from the Navy. Which was at 2 1/2 years as of 2005 when I got out. I never sent any of this off when applying to any jobs, not sure if it would have helped anyways.

Kind of running out of options here, and absolutely loathe the idea of going back to a 9-5. Figured if there were any people to point me in the right direction it would be you guys. I don’t necessarily have a preference of where I work. I live in IL so the inland was convenient. I was looking at Bouchard, but was not sure if they required Twic, etc. It does not say they require it on their website.

Thanks guys

You will need need your twic just about anywhere you go. Your second step after the twic should be to get your MMC with whatever deck or engine rating your time in the navy allows you to qualify for. If you want to work blue water you will need your stcw basic safety/firefighting.

There is not much you can possibly do on the water that pays worth a crap without a twic. An mmc would be a good idea but may not be necessary on the inland boats. You definitely need both (plus STCW-BST) for places like Bouchard.

If you are serious, get your TWIC, MMC, and a passport. Then if you really want a job, knock on doors in the Gulf until you find one. It mostly a matter of being in the right place, at the right time, with your bags packed and ready to go right now, and giving the company some reason to chose you over one of the other guys standing beside you.

Like he said above, if you are serious about working, get your TWIC, MMD, Passport and STCW-BST. If you get any qualified ratings(ie qmed or ab) get your RFPEW or RFPNW also. You should be hired on then. Thats what I had to do and I didnt know anyone down here but they said I had to get that stuff to show that i wanted to work.

After you get your MMC and TWIC don’t forget about the northwest Area either. There are lots of tugs that run the Columbia river and they hire deckhands and help them get their AB but you should get your AB anyway with your navy time so that’s one leg up plus your prior service I know that helped when I got hired. there are quite a few vets working out here.

Really kicking myself in the ass now for not having already done this when I was out in Hawaii. Paperwork was filled out but never submitted…

So looking over the National Maritime Center, assuming the documentation I have is suffice. I should be able to apply for Able Seaman-Limited. And if that is the case any time on a boat from then on will go towards AS-Unlimited, am I understanding this correctly? Lot of information to digest…

Definitely mention the USN time. Most companies use the hiring preference tax deduction and give preference to Vets.

Hey guys, I don’t mean to thread jack here, but I also wondered if you have any suggestions for me. I have my TWIC, MMC, Safegulf/Safeland, and Rigging Api. I have filled out numerous online apps and have just about harassed all the hr’s at those companies with no luck. I live on the gulf coast maybe 3 hours away from those companies. Would taking a trip there be beneficial for me? Also, I have no experience whatsoever. Thanks in advance.

Without a TWIC and MMD, no one will give you the time of day, nevermind a job. You live in IL, get the documents and reapply in person in Lemont. Or PM me and I’ll give you a couple other leads. don’t bother me until you have the documents.

I got offshore without a twic card I have one now but I didn’t wen I first started

How long ago? This is within the last 5 years. It was possible to not need a TWIC then. It is required now.

Anyone seriously looking for offshore work needs to immediately get a TWIC card, passport, and MMC. There are no excuses for not having these documents which are readily available to anyone qualified for employment. Without these basic qualifications they are just wasting their time, and their posts are not worthy of a response.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;78769]Anyone seriously looking for offshore work needs to immediately get a TWIC card, passport, and MMC. There are no excuses for not having these documents which are readily available to anyone qualified for employment. Without these basic qualifications they are just wasting their time, and their posts are not worthy of a response.[/QUOTE]

I was looking for work on the rivers prior to this and a Twic, etc were not required. I got my answer by posting here though. Kind of glad I was not hired as a deckhand anywhere. Appears I have what I need for AB limited. Now being I have been off the water for so long should I expect to get hired anywhere for AB limited, or am I going to have to take a lesser position? Just watch standing and deck duties from what I can tell, which is no big deal.

Dats good dat I Ben workin on gettn my ab
I hope I can get it soon
And there’s nothing rong with watch standing and deck duties I agree wit dat

[QUOTE=SMB2012;78795]I was looking for work on the rivers prior to this and a Twic, etc were not required. I got my answer by posting here though. Kind of glad I was not hired as a deckhand anywhere. Appears I have what I need for AB limited. Now being I have been off the water for so long should I expect to get hired anywhere for AB limited, or am I going to have to take a lesser position? Just watch standing and deck duties from what I can tell, which is no big deal.[/QUOTE]

Still don’t have a twic, huh? Good luck. I have NO idea what I’m talking about after 32 years in the industry.

You may ‘have what’s needed’ for a A.B. but until you HAVE it you ain’t got bupkus. And NO, you won’t get an A.B. with out visiting the USCG and getting it done that way. And NO, you won’t even get in the door at the REC to fill out the application without a TWIC. Things have changed.

[QUOTE=seadog6608;78916]Still don’t have a twic, huh? Good luck. [B]I have NO idea what I’m talking about after 32 years in the industry.[/B][/QUOTE]

I never said nor have I seen anybody post in here to the contrary. I just know when I was applying on the river it was not required with the places I had seen. They took it out of your pay once hired and you had to have it within 90 days? My thinking at the time was why go out of pocket for something that may never materialize. I am thinking a little differently now though. And plan on getting all of this stuff as soon as I can.

[QUOTE=cappy208;78924]You may ‘have what’s needed’ for a A.B. but until you HAVE it you ain’t got bupkus. And NO, you won’t get an A.B. with out visiting the USCG and getting it done that way. And NO, you won’t even get in the door at the REC to fill out the application without a TWIC. Things have changed.[/QUOTE]

Should have phrased it a little better, I meant when all paperwork was filled out. I know what I need to do now after seeing peoples posts here. But that still does not answer my question. I have been off the water for 7+ years. Even if I get all of the right paperwork etc… Is it realistic to expect to get on anywhere as an AB limited? Would they offer refresher training with the company? I still remember quite a bit from my navy days, but not everything. And I am not sure how much is even going to be applicable…

Thanks again for all of the info guys.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/faq/merchant_mariners_credentials.asp

http://stcw.org/training.html#Anchor#2

Whats up with my reply’s taking so long to post. Been over 24hours now…