New to the Maritime industry and need help

I am needing to know where to start in my process of finding a job. I have a 50 ton master license with towing, my stcw-95 basic safety, and a passport. I am trying to get a job on a cargo ship, tanker or pretty much any other type of boat. I have put in application after application with absolutely no results. I have 0 experience on a ship and that seems to be my biggest problem. Any other suggestions on where to go and what to do are greatly appreciated.

LA 1 South,in south Louisiana, mad boat companies , I just packed my bags and drove down there went door to door and got hired that day.

50t will get u nothing down there, but STCW is a big plus and u need a MMD, and a TWIC

Hi are there any more job openings?please call 504-570-8279

[QUOTE=keigler2;55332]Hi are there any more job openings?please call 504-570-8279[/QUOTE]

That is NOT how it is done. People don’t call you, YOU have to call, beat the bushes and GET a job. They aren’t handed out.

Hahahaha that’s deff. Not how it’s DONE, would be nice though

I have my twic card and I understand about my capt license I wasn’t really expecting anything out of that. But is a mmd part of my capt license? That’s what I’ve been told. I think I will take your advice and go on a road trip soon and “beat the bushes”. Thanks for the help

Make sure you have your TWIC card before you take that road trip, and as far as your mmd if you have a card or an orange passport u have it, if it’s just a certificate that shows 50t u don’t, not sure how that works

[QUOTE=snookyred66;55347]I have my twic card and I understand about my capt license I wasn’t really expecting anything out of that. But is a mmd part of my capt license? That’s what I’ve been told. I think I will take your advice and go on a road trip soon and “beat the bushes”. Thanks for the help[/QUOTE]

There is no such thing anymore as an MMD. If you still have the old style license then it does NOT include your MMD, it would be a separate card. But the new MMC might if you asked for it when you applied. Read it and see. It will say right there on the same page as the “Master” info, Ordinary Seaman, Wiper and Stewards Dept. If not you will need to get it.

[QUOTE=GuLfOfStOnEy;55292]LA 1 South,in south Louisiana, mad boat companies , I just packed my bags and drove down there went door to door and got hired that day.[/QUOTE]

I’m planning on doing the same thing because I heard it was much easier to get hired when applying in person than applying online. I have no experience but I do have a TWIC and a MMC. When did you do this? Is there anything else I would need to be hired on the spot?

Dress to impress. Brush your teeth. Comb your hair. Make them need you. Be ready to sail NOW. Follow up, and follow up after that. When they know your name and your face you’ve got a much better chance at a job.

The story about the guy who got hired because the Port captain got sick if his phone calls is true.

[QUOTE=dougpine;58562]Dress to impress. Brush your teeth. Comb your hair. Make them need you. Be ready to sail NOW. Follow up, and follow up after that. When they know your name and your face you’ve got a much better chance at a job.

The story about the guy who got hired because the Port captain got sick if his phone calls is true.[/QUOTE]
Doug you forgot to mention take a shower. LOL

Correct. You dont need to wear a 3 piece suit, but you need to show them you CARE what you look like. How are you going to maintain their multi-million dollar vessel if you cant even maintain your own appearance?

Yeah, its been my experience that most boat companies are more “impressed” when you show up in person. Phone calls are fine for follow-up but initially its better to go door to door. At least thats been my experience.

This is good to know. Thanks a bunch.

It certainly sounds funny to an outsider (outside this industry) but there are two types of jobs you are applying for. One is an opening that they are planning for. And have time to fill. You (and about 500 others) put in applications… And wait. The other is when a guy just quit and they need a warm body RIGHT THEN if you are there, with all documentation, your seabag PACKED ready to go take a drug test, ready to leave right then you will get hired.

Over the years I have heard bitching about how: they wouldn’t give me an extra week off to ‘get my affairs in order,’ or ‘gee they wanted me to go out for a month,’ or ‘they only offered me an OS job.’ Get your foot in the door. THEN get comfortable.

I received my 100 ton master 200 ton mate last week so this week I went down hwy 1 with my bags packed and ready to go but with only having run fishing vessels over the last 10 years and never oil industry I did not have a chance.came up empty looking for 3ed captain spot I may have to go back and look for a unlicensed engineer spot not sure what to do

Same instructions as shampoo. Lather, rinse, repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Your lack of time in the oil patch means you will have to step down to step up. I believe the position you should be looking for is as mate, not captain yet. If you are trying to get on a tug, you have to start as a deckhand and do a TOAR. That’s a whole different topic.

While you remember everything from doing your licensing I recommend getting your AB ticket. It will serve 2 purposes allow you to get a job as an AB and when you go for your 500 master or mates credential you will have it and not have to test for it again. Other than that don’t give up.

He is going for 3rd captain, that is essentially 2nd mate. The lowest deck officer spot…