Is getting your boots on the ground the only way to get a job right now?

Is getting your boots on the ground the only way to get a job right now?
Ok, so like others here I’ve been sending in emails, mailing in hard copies of paperwork, and otherwise following the application process on websites. I’ve done some follow-up calls that don’t seem to go anywhere. I guess cold calling a company is something I was raised not to do, so is physically walking in the door the only way to get a job right now?

It seems from the posts on gCaptain that things are (as usual) a mixed bag in the industry. Within the last week posts have been made that suggest there aren’t any jobs out there and posts have been made that certain HR departments are busy hiring away…Any comments on this? More specifically, have you seen your company hire recently or seen folks leave?

I’ve got my AB and some tug experience, all the right paperwork is up to date. TWIC, MMD, STCW, etc and I’ve got a small, but mostly useless Master/Mate license. I’ve got the time to upgrade to a 1600 Ocean mate, but not the cash. So I am looking for a place to seriously work on upgrades. Unfortunately I’ve been ashore for a little over a year now and am kind of stuck in the Midwest, so travelling to a maritime hub, looking for work is a bit of an undertaking.

Thoughts?

All osv companies are hiring right now. Having a license gets you priority right. Hornbeck and Chouest are very liberal about training when they are in a bind for people. This is the case right now.

If you are serious about wanting to work in the oil patch you’d better plan on driving down there and knocking on doors. It was a 23 hr drive for me to drive down in 2008, and that got my foot in the door. Was laid off more than once, but alwasys kept going back to knocking on doors. The HR people will get to know you after awhile, and know that you are serious.

As someone posted here the other day, Nicky Collins at ECO get a lot of email and phone messages, but he always had time to see me when I stopped by there.

I’ve since upgraded my license, and am happily employeed at a very good company since last spring. Got it by knocking on their door.

As one member once posted here, you are only looking for one job.

Get a map of Louisiana, the plot all the companies you want to visit. Gete a three ring binder and print out info an maps at their web sites to take along.

Get cleaned up if you need to :-), look presentable, and set yourself apart from the other candidates.

Many times it is a matter of being in the right place at the right time, with your bags packed.

Good luck!

I have to agree, the days of sending out a couple emails and getting twelve job offers are scarce right now. Knowing people who work at the companies can help get a foot in the door. ANother bet I have used in the past is the crewing companies or headhunters like compass and Kelly Sweenys company, they take a chunk of your pay but they have the contacts and do the legwork too. I have picked up some good gigs from Compass and one turned into a full time offer.

Thx for the info so far. The answer seems to be, yes you do need to get down there and be face to face. Makes sense and different opinions.

As far as the headhunters go I’ve been down that road before. Contacted them several times, no response. If I’m paying them to do the work, then they can reply to phone calls…

Just got a call from a headhunter in NO looking to fill 8 OSV captain spots, interviewing in the next couple days, if you are knocking on doors down that way could be worth a shot.

I guess he didn’t say what company (ies) the spots were for?

Nope, that’s all the info I have, sorry.

Probably HOS but don’t know for sure. Could be Harvey Gulf as well.

And both of those companies seem to be insisting on applicants already having their DP Unlimited.

[QUOTE=water;61485]If you are serious about wanting to work in the oil patch you’d better plan on driving down there and knocking on doors. It was a 23 hr drive for me to drive down in 2008, and that got my foot in the door. Was laid off more than once, but alwasys kept going back to knocking on doors. The HR people will get to know you after awhile, and know that you are serious.

As someone posted here the other day, Nicky Collins at ECO get a lot of email and phone messages, but he always had time to see me when I stopped by there.

I’ve since upgraded my license, and am happily employeed at a very good company since last spring. Got it by knocking on their door.

As one member once posted here, you are only looking for one job.

Get a map of Louisiana, the plot all the companies you want to visit. Gete a three ring binder and print out info an maps at their web sites to take along.

Get cleaned up if you need to :-), look presentable, and set yourself apart from the other candidates.

Many times it is a matter of being in the right place at the right time, with your bags packed.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Yes, Water; good advise.
Persistance is the key.

I have 1 guy checking in, today, coming from Chicago with goals of achieving a job here on the bayou.
Another is checking in on Wed. from North Carolina with the same interest.

Many have told me that they have sent applications online or called, but never got a response.
That’s b/c these HR people get 180 applications a day.
But, when coming down and meeting “face to face” they got a job.

Yes, you must be ready, and in the right place at the right time.

You need to be relentless in your own pursuit.
Only, “you” can make it happen.

Some of the companies here are ECO, GOL, HOS, Abdon Callais, Harvey Gulf.
Many other smaller co., also.

And, remember that I do give a discounted rate to mariners of $60/night.
Check out my FB page and “Like” it, please.

www.facebook.com/#!/pages/A-Chateau-On-The-Bayou-Bed-Breakfast-Claudette-L-Pitre/121896531157165

Or, check out my website at: http://www.achateauonthebayou.com to view the rooms.

Wishing you all the very best in your pursuit.

Claudette L. Pitre
A Chateau on the Bayou Bed & Breakfast
3158 Hwy. 308
Raceland, LA
(985) 537-6773

Edison Chouest…

I think boots on the ground is definitely the way to go. I just hired on with Chouest last Tuesday as a Captain/DP Unlimited (1600/3000). I am quite certain that I would never have gotten any response otherwise.

CT

Do you know if they are currently hiring training captains without dp?

I used to work for Chouest. It all boils down to how bad they are in need of Capts. They have their own DP school so you could get hired without it. But having dp under under your belt could only help your chances, give it a shot, & good luck.

Congratulations in your new job and efforts to make it happen.
I agree that’s the way to go.
Claudette
A Chateau on the Bayou B&B
3158 Hwy. 308
Raceland, LA
(985) 537-6773

[QUOTE=CoastalTrader;62605]I think boots on the ground is definitely the way to go. I just hired on with Chouest last Tuesday as a Captain/DP Unlimited (1600/3000). I am quite certain that I would never have gotten any response otherwise.

CT[/QUOTE]