Looking to start new career

I really want to get a job on the water, having a hard time getting started though. I have a valid TWIC, but no experience and no certifications or paperwork, and can’t find much good info to help me out. I’ve looked into getting my MMD as an O/S, but the cost is a bit prohibitive right now. I’ve read the “read first sticky” and searched the forum some… But I could use help with a few questions.

#1- what sort of chance do I have of getting a job on a boat, any kind river or gulf or whatever, without knocking on doors and being able to leave right away? I’m currently employed as is my wife, which poses a challenge to what I’ve read is the best way to work in this industry.
#2- Is there a place I can work on the water without having an MMD, paying for a drug test, renewing my passport etc? I know its required for offshore work, but can I work on rivers and lakes without all that? And can I honestly expect to be able to get a job in that case if I don’t have any paperwork?

Really need a job change, and I want to work on the water…I’m willing to work hard and learn, but don’t have any extra $ to put up before I can get hired.

If I missed any relative threads please just link them here, I have searched the forum but may have missed something.

Thanks
Bobby
Mobile, Al

you got your first step, twic card, that only lets you in the gate to apply. second you need to get your mmc, with some type of endorsement, if you get lucky you might get,os,wiper,fh, and there aren’t many of those positions open right now, thirdly you need to get your stcw 95 bst , cpr,firefighting ext. remember everything has to be coast guard approve all schools ex. not just any, you have to do a lot of research and call nmc for questions as many time you can. and finally you need to drive and apply where ever their hiring and knocking on doors, networking, apply online…

from my experience its hassel and you get frustrated at times but the cons are, the pay is good and if you a hardworker and a go to guy, you can go very far… but believe me you got to crawl before you can walk but it can be done. yes paper work!! paper work! networking!! been at it for almost three months, some leads but no job yet. but then again I want to work in the gulf… good luck, amigo…

hello Mr. Half_Bwrain

first step…

[B][I]READ ALL THE HUNDREDS OF GODDAMNED THREADS AND POSTS ON THIS SUBJECT WITH IDIOT PEOPLE ASKING THE SAME QUESTIONS OVER AND OVER![/I][/B]

sheesh…will this nonsense ever end? Will they ever learn to do research before asking questions? Lazy, Lazier, Laziest!

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=hecsan71;141642]… good luck, amigo…[/QUOTE]

for GOD’S SAKE…don’t encourage him!

Your in Mobile, give Sea School a call in Bayou La Batre. They will let you make payments for classes for endorsements. STCW. Etc.

You most likely will not get hired with out an MMD or TWIC. Maybe on a methhead commercial fishing boat. You almost always have to knock on doors. I had my OS and 6 pack with STCW BST no job offers. Got my 100 tn. No jobs offers. Wasn’t until I had my AB with Lifeboat and RFNPW that I was made an offer. Between tuition, filing fees and missed work while at school I was put at least 5k working a shit job. It took me three years but you HAVE to realize this isn’t about costs it’s about making an investment in yourself and your future. Period. Like the old saying goes: How do you eat a Elephant? One bite at a time! This isn’t easy, it isn’t quick.

c.captain Re: Looking to start new career…

hello Mr. Half_Bwrain

first step…

READ ALL THE HUNDREDS OF GODDAMNED THREADS AND POSTS ON THIS SUBJECT WITH IDIOT PEOPLE ASKING THE SAME QUESTIONS OVER AND OVER!

sheesh…will this nonsense ever end? Will they ever learn to do research before asking questions? Lazy, Lazier, Laziest!

– - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by hecsan71 … good luck, amigo…

for GOD’S SAKE…don’t encourage him!

***********************************************?

Dear c-captain,

I’m not entirely sure whom you are addressing sir (and I use that term oh so loosely), but it would appear you have some very grave and deep seated personal issues that need attending to. I would let go of my own inhibitions and address you in exactly the same manner as you just did to whomever it is you think you’re addressing; but I won’t do that. Besides, I don’t I wish to exacerbate your current mental condition or further disrupt your obviously delicate emotional state. Please refrain from use of caps lock and seek professional help immediately. I could respond with the same level of rage, name calling and obscenities as you, I see no need for that. And… While I have any number of ideas, true or untrue, about exactly what kind and shape of person you are… You just did an excellent job of clearly delineating that for everyone who reads this thread- so, Thank You, sincerely… You saved me the time and effort.

In closing, I’ll just say this: I’ll not be returning, so don’t bother responding to me, it’ll never get read. Say and think what you will of me or “half_bwrain”, it makes no difference. That is All. Good Day.

Double ouch…

anyone got a bandaid? I done been skewerred by an upstart!

I LOVE IT WHEN LIBERALS GET CENSORED! You would delete most of these FNG threads if you had the power. Seems someone is using the pointy eraser on you. Down the memory hole you go Goldstein.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;141658]I LOVE IT WHEN LIBERALS GET CENSORED! You would delete most of these FNG threads if you had the power. Seems someone is using the pointy eraser on you. Down the memory hole you go Goldstein.[/QUOTE]

as the Sarge used to say to me…if you can’t eat a little shit, don’t be serving none of it!

If you are under 25 you can go to Tongue Point for free

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;141658]Seems someone is using the pointy eraser on you. Down the memory hole you go Goldstein.[/QUOTE]

thing is, it the putz didn’t try to quote me, my original post would have completely disappeared into the mists of time… So much for it vanishing down a hole!

so very young…so very stoopid

You can’t win Goldstein…

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;141683]You can’t win Goldstein…[/QUOTE]

who the FUCK is Goldstein? my name is Quint!

That kind of doublespeak is not allowed in Oceania Goldstein…

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;141687]That kind of doublespeak is not allowed in Oceania Goldstein…[/QUOTE]

I am outed at last! DAMNED!

Well gCaptain is my own “The Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism.” but I am really not Goldstein…rather I am V

so eat shit and die Winston!

I heard that sea school lost USCG accreditation. Can anyone verify this?

Sea School is still accredited. Took 200tn last month certificate was accepted by Coast Guard no worries.

Very easy to get a job. However knocking is usually required. You could try any of the money hungry headhunters who will take a dear sum of your first couple checks but will generally find you a job. Google can be a friend. A lot of small mom and pops use headhunters and don’t require an mmd to start as most vessels are under 100 ton.

There’s lots of little crew boat/utility boat operations around where a deckhand won’t need an MMD, just a TWIC. Ryan’s in Galveston, TX is one.