Starting A Career Offshore

Hello everyone. I am very new to the offshore world. My father is a chief at ECO and finally talked me into giving it a shot.
I Have my TWIC, MMC and just took the stcw-95 training. I am hoping to put it all to use as soon as possible. I paid for everything out of
pocket hoping that it might help with the job finding process.
I have applied at ECO, Harvey Tugs, Fairfield Industries, GOL, Transocen, Ensco, and noble. I still plan on applying at a few other company’s as well.

Is there anything else that is needed or recommended for an entry level position?
I am very motivated and plan to try and move up as soon a possible.

Thanks and any info would be great.
Nathan

What did your dad say? He should have most of this information.

He told me that I have everything I should need to get a job. But he has not had to look for employment in a long time. I figured id would ask here since I see lots of people getting jobs fairly regularly.

Gd luck. I’ve had my TWIC, MMC for 2yrs an I haven’t got lucky in the N.Y area. I’m still looking not giving up just hope somebody gives me a shot.

[QUOTE=junbug;116071]Gd luck. I’ve had my TWIC, MMC for 2yrs an I haven’t got lucky in the N.Y area. I’m still looking not giving up just hope somebody gives me a shot.[/QUOTE]

Deckhand Harley Marine, https://careers-harleymarine.icims.com/jobs/1084/deckhand---hmny/job

From my LinkedIn account…

Moran Tug (Norfolk, VA) is trying to fill an entry level deckhand slot in the next few weeks. If you have any candidates who have transitioned out or will soon I’d like to see their Names and Resumes." Mr. Al Cook, Ops Mgr, Moran Norfolk Contact or go to the Website http://lnkd.in/bPJkSS

[QUOTE=“Wrench;116079”]From my LinkedIn account…

Moran Tug (Norfolk, VA) is trying to fill an entry level deckhand slot in the next few weeks. If you have any candidates who have transitioned out or will soon I’d like to see their Names and Resumes." Mr. Al Cook, Ops Mgr, Moran Norfolk Contact or go to the Website http://lnkd.in/bPJkSS[/QUOTE]

What! Say this aint so! They’re not trying to run their deck hands into the ground any more? Or have so many quit they are forced to do this? Over all, they’re a good company, just make sure you have a part time job when you’re off, wages are pretty low.

Junbug the New York companies want to see people with a lot more experience on deck before they even consider hiring someone. I was decking on dinner boats and ferry for 5 year before I got a job on the tug. Also you need to get your AB if you have the time. A lot of companies won’t even look at your résumé or application if you don’t have it. Is a liability issue, the company that charters the tug only want to see AB’s on deck. I know my company only hires AB for deckhands. So if u haven’t gotten your AB yet, or building your experience up. You just wasting your time waiting when you could be working.

Look at Dann and Mcallister, not the best in some people’s eyes but lots of people pass through those two companies on their way around the industry. Good place to be thrown to the wolves for a few years, you’ll learn.

Thanks Captain_Ramon27"] I will make this my #1 priority. My plan was to hit the Circle Lines the Waterways, anything to try and get sea time and an experience but its been a rough road. Thank you Captain

It took me awhile to get hired on anywhere but I had all the same stcw mmc and twic but finally got hired on with GulfMark it’s not a top paying company but it’s a great place to be, try here only thing is I did hear in the office last week that they aren’t hiring on and deckhands at the moment but persistence will get you hired in somewhere eventually

Best shot is the gulf I’d say tons of companies

Going to throw this out there, but if your father is a Chief can’t be pull some strings?

Wondering the same thing.

Anytime man, and yeah go for those a company that always looking for deckhands for seasonal jobs is spirit cruise of Chelsea piers and Hornblower cruises of pier 40. It’s seasonal but it’s better than nothing’s and you never know if they keep you through the winter to go to the shipyards. Try to stay off the dinner boats in the east side of manhattan there no good. Message me if you would like too know any more things. I might be able to guide you in the right direction.

I started first working on tugs for Dann ocean, worst company to work for ( both pay wise and work wise ) but they did help me get that foot in the tug industry And taught me everything I know today, the captains and crew and awesome guys to work with, The boats need some work done to them. But just be prepare for a long hitch if they can’t find a relief for you, on my first hitch i did 76 days on and only got to go home for 10 days then i was sent back on the tug for 65 more days, ( they don’t really do there 40 on 20 off, rarely they do ) and i did about two more long hitches until i quit and came to reinauer. they always hiring contact them and ask for Mr. Lou Waller he’s the guy you wanna talk to about a job if you wanna work for Dann ocean. " oh if he tells you call him back next week, call him again next week, he plays that game to see if you really want the job. About the 4 weeks of calling back he will hire you. Trust me he did that to mostly all the deckhand I worked with "

[QUOTE=brjones;116171]Going to throw this out there, but if your father is a Chief can’t be pull some strings?[/QUOTE]

I am hoping that maybe he can pull some strings, but at the same time i am not 100% on that.
I am really wanting to start as a wiper but id take a deckhand position.

[QUOTE=“ncamfield;115922”]
I have applied at ECO, Harvey Tugs, Fairfield Industries, GOL, Transocen, Ensco, and noble. I still plan on applying at a few other company’s as well.[/QUOTE]

Have you shown up in person at any of those places? It’s the only way to get hired on an OSV. (That doesn’t apply to Ensco, Transocean, or Noble.)

If your old man is a chief shouldn’t he be able to talk to his “coordinator” aka joe-boss’s bitch/yesman and hook it up?

Also for the guy around NY just follow everyone’s advice and just be persistant. Maybe look into the more unsual jobs like the lineboats etc

Google: Bayonne Lineboat Service, Inc. AKA ken’s marine;or Miller launch in NY or Miller marine on LI

If you badger McAllister and Dann enough I’m sure they’ll hire when they need someone. The idea is to be ready THIS MINUTE when they need you. Look at Weeks, donjon too. Just emphasis you’re[B] looking for entry level [/B]but you [B]DO have a TWIC/MMC[/B].

I’ll confirm such tomorrow, but I’ll see if i can make sure who the contact at MaC is for deckhands these days…unless someone knows first hand.

Think it’s Joe still