Where are the entry level jobs?

All,

I live in NC and I am 19 years old. I have applied for a MMC and I already have a TWIC Card.

I am having a devil of a time finding job listings for Ordinary Seamen though. I have signed up for job alerts through multiple companies and I regularly receive jobs for ABs but openings for OS are few and far between.

Is it that there are not that many OS’s on ships or that these jobs simply get snatched up quickly? Is it even possible to simply go to port towns anymore and hunt for jobs in person?

The few old mariners I have met make the job sound like a great one but finding one has proven difficult.

Any tips?

All help is appreciated.
Cheers,
Cody

Tell you like I’ve told many other. Find a head hunter company. A company that looks for work for you. Cost you money but if you can’t get your foot in the door, then do that. Other then that, idk. Also, it is hard to find work right now

It all depends on what vessels you want to work on. You can look up what companies are in your area and apply.

Email your resume to the following

tugboatchief72@yahoo.com

[QUOTE=tugboatchief;169135]Email your resume to the following

tugboatchief72@yahoo.com[/QUOTE]

Your’re looking for deckhands ?

you’re an imbecile. The guy read the thread and knows people are looking for OS then gave you his email. If I were him, you blew your chance with that question. If you ask dumb questions here imagine when you’re onboard.

[QUOTE=z-drive;169178]you’re an imbecile. The guy read the thread and knows people are looking for OS then gave you his email. If I were him, you blew your chance with that question. If you ask dumb questions here imagine when you’re onboard.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. The OP is looking for an entry level job but he wants to make sure he and the company are a good match. He should send tugboatchief a questionnaire for him to fill out. Hours, pay, schedule, working conditions, meal menus and and so forth.

[QUOTE=tugboatchief;169135]Email your resume to the following

tugboatchief72@yahoo.com[/QUOTE]

Thank you Sir.

Have you been trying tug companies? A lot of them bring in deck hands with little experience.

Yes Sir, a few.

Its not exactly what I am looking for (long term, I would like a sea going job) but I think tugs would be an excellent way to get started and gain experience for 2 or 3 years.

Cheers,
Cody

[QUOTE=farmerfalconer;169185]Yes Sir, a few.

Its not exactly what I am looking for (long term, I would like a sea going job) but I think tugs would be an excellent way to get started and gain experience for 2 or 3 years.

Cheers,
Cody[/QUOTE]

There isn’t much deep sea work right now and what there is is almost all union. If that’s what you want go to the Paul Hall school at Piney Point (Seafarers International Union).

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;169189]There isn’t much deep sea work right now and what there is is almost all union. If that’s what you want go to the Paul Hall school at Piney Point (Seafarers International Union).[/QUOTE]

Personally, I would prefer to avoid the union. I want to be the one to decide when, where, and how long I am allowed to work. From what I am told, Union mariners are limited to 6 months at sea. What about a young guy who is single and wants to rack up sea time and work longer than that?

Feel free to educate me on unions though as my knowledge is limited.

Have you even gone and knocked on any doors?

If you want to sail deep sea ship’s MSC and the unions are it, end of story. Plenty of tugs that make ocean voyages, its not all inland and coastal work.

Tugs and OSV’s are the only game in town if you want to avoid unions, and OSV’s have got licensed guys working deck in same cases.

BTW, MSC will let you work as long as you want, just be careful what you wish for…

[QUOTE=farmerfalconer;169195]Personally, I would prefer to avoid the union. I want to be the one to decide when, where, and how long I am allowed to work. From what I am told, Union mariners are limited to 6 months at sea. What about a young guy who is single and wants to rack up sea time and work longer than that?

Feel free to educate me on unions though as my knowledge is limited.[/QUOTE]

Who tells you union mariners are limited to 6 months? Really? With that in mind you could try some of the non union companies; call them up and tell them when, where and how long you’ll work. If you called me and I was in HR I’d invite you in just out of curiosity.

[QUOTE=z-drive;169178]you’re an imbecile. The guy read the thread and knows people are looking for OS then gave you his email. If I were him, you blew your chance with that question. If you ask dumb questions here imagine when you’re onboard.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t send my resume to some random email with a yahoo account. Stealing key personal information makes it super easy for someone to make even more connections about personal data through the internet and gather enough information for all kinds of theft. I’d rather be unemployed than unemployed AND a victim of identity theft. Perhaps you should think a little more before acting. Being desperate is not an excuse for being stupid.

Already talked to the guy and it don’t sound like a bad deal. I was gonna take it just my options opened up elsewhere and couldn’t pass it up.

Tugboatchief has helped a lot of people on this forum. If he was doing something shady we would al know and the moderators would close his account. He's not some random yahoo around here.

like that Jeff Foxworthy bit “here’s your sign!”

[QUOTE=NotReally;169200]I wouldn’t send my resume to some random email with a yahoo account. Stealing key personal information makes it super easy for someone to make even more connections about personal data through the internet and gather enough information for all kinds of theft. I’d rather be unemployed than unemployed AND a victim of identity theft. Perhaps you should think a little more before acting. Being desperate is not an excuse for being stupid.[/QUOTE]

Why would you send anything to a random email address? In this case it’s not difficult to see tugboatchief’s posts. If he’s running a scam this is a very inefficent way to collect info. To me it looks like he knows what he’s talking about. Also no need to put key info on a resume. For contact info it’s easy to get a phone number and a email address to use for a job hunt. No real need for a street address.

Maybe gcaptain.com is a scam run by Tugboatchief to lure in young people and steal thier information.

:smiley: