Ordinary seaman cant find work in NY

Need work asap and im not trying to just take lazy way out and post a thread hoping someone will hire me ive spent countless hours on end calling and applying and faxing and scanning and calling… I have my mmd and twic and i have been working on a boat for the past two summers. So i have a little seatime does anyone know a good recruiter in N.Y.C. that can help or any companies that are hiring?

Have you gone to the company offices in person? That is what typically gets results.

From what I’ve been told, if you’re an OS you’re going to have a hell of a time unless you know someone or get lucky. A lot of the guys coming in as deckhands have an AB ticket at the very least and many hold licenses.

So where have you tried? Any of the smaller companies? Reinauer, Moran will be tough as an OS. Donjon, Mcallister maybe easier. I’d be looking at the companies like seawolf, despite having a tug just sink, to get started. Miller, miller’s launch? That kind of thing.

You could try the ferries too. Not tugs but it will get you out on the water. There’s port Jef ferry, cross-sound ferry, the various water taxis etc in the harbor. Just go on line and look. Staten Island ferry will take forever though bc it’s municipal, go after the privately owned ones.

East River Ferry & NY Water Taxi/Circle Line Tours hiring contacts:

Go see McAllister. Dont forget the Spirit boats over at Chelsea Pier.

[QUOTE=z-drive;157351]So where have you tried? Any of the smaller companies? Reinauer, Moran will be tough as an OS. Donjon, Mcallister maybe easier. I’d be looking at the companies like seawolf, despite having a tug just sink, to get started. Miller, miller’s launch? That kind of thing.[/QUOTE]

i have Tried don jon weeks marine henry marine etc… i have applied online to all those places and i can work im a great worker and can keep things tidy. Im outgoing and usually dont have a problem getting along with anyone… I just need the work to pick up i guess…

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;157369]Go see McAllister. Dont forget the Spirit boats over at Chelsea Pier.[/QUOTE]

Does mc allister hire o/s ?

• Updated - - -

We’ll see i believe i will get something eventually i just dont want to wait anymore

• Updated - - -

well most of these offices are not in NYC so therefore i cant go to the offices

• Updated - - -

I want to work on a tug i really want to just get on get seatime and try to get my A.B endorsement and so on… I know your’e ging to tell me cant be picky as an O/s but i should be ablet to get on somewhere

Alot of the local work around the city is based on your proximity to the city. You live on L/I or within 3-4hrs ? Calling and emailing probably wont get you shit. Have you tried Dann Ocean ??? Awesome pay, lots of time on the boat, thats the place you need to call. But seriously, like they told you 90% of it is knowing someone and being in the right place.

[QUOTE=BargeMonkey;157403]Alot of the local work around the city is based on your proximity to the city. You live on L/I or within 3-4hrs ? Calling and emailing probably wont get you shit. Have you tried Dann Ocean ??? Awesome pay, lots of time on the boat, thats the place you need to call. But seriously, like they told you 90% of it is knowing someone and being in the right place.[/QUOTE] i actually
Live in staten island where there is a shit load of tug companies but yeah ive been in contact with the supervisor for dann ocean towing but i actually hears the pay isnt that good is that true?

[QUOTE=Tony Awed;157423]i actually
Live in staten island where there is a shit load of tug companies but yeah ive been in contact with the supervisor for dann ocean towing but i actually hears the pay isnt that good is that true?[/QUOTE]

it’s tough everywhere right now. No sense in chasing the highest dollar if you are unemployed, especially for an OS…can’t expect a gig paying 80k a yr right off the bat these days.

[QUOTE=Ctony;157426]it’s tough everywhere right now. No sense in chasing the highest dollar if you are unemployed, especially for an OS…can’t expect a gig paying 80k a yr right off the bat these days.[/QUOTE] no no no i dont expect the highest pay at all i just dont want to get paid lower then 150 a day i heard they pay 110 a day witch is really bad! I couldnt afford to even live in NY

DANN (Tampa, FL) has several tugs in NY Harbor and hires greenhorns. Call and ask for Lou, Hiring Manager.

[QUOTE=Tony Awed;157437]no no no i dont expect the highest pay at all i just dont want to get paid lower then 150 a day i heard they pay 110 a day witch is really bad! I couldnt afford to even live in NY[/QUOTE]

Ha! 150 a day living in ny!? That’s enough to maybe rent somebody living room floor and eat cup of noodles everyday. My suggestion is move, apply for msc and live on the ship, or sell drugs. NY and regular jobs=poor. Lived there for 10 years soon as the money slowed up I was out!

Seriously you’d make better money waiting tables. Maybe try that?

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;157502]Seriously you’d make better money waiting tables. Maybe try that?[/QUOTE] i have been a waiter for the past 5 years but i want an actual career and i love the water… If i have to bringanother plate of food for an unworthy impolite jerkoff I’ll throw up

• Updated - - -

Yeah i have been in contact with him for the last couple months he has nothing now but once he does I’ll be on there do you know what the rate is for an o/s just out of curiosity

[QUOTE=Mullet Farm;157467]DANN (Tampa, FL) has several tugs in NY Harbor and hires greenhorns. Call and ask for Lou, Hiring Manager.[/QUOTE] i have actually been in contact with him for the past couple months he has nothing avaliable now but he might soon and once he does I’m in there do you know what the pay rate is for an o/s at dann? Just out of curiosity?

Sounds like you’re putting in a solid effort unlike some of the guys who come on here looking for work. Keep at it something will come up.

[QUOTE=z-drive;157527]Sounds like you’re putting in a solid effort unlike some of the guys who come on here looking for work. Keep at it something will come up.[/QUOTE]

thanks i appreciate it i actually have been working with my friends buddy he has his own tug its privately owned and we dont really stay on the boat very long but he but he pays cash and now im getting some experience witch is awesome butim trying to find steady work

Or, you could always do what I’m about to do in one week. I graduated from one of the maritime academies and have a 3/M license (I just renewed it, too) and can’t find work, so I’ll be starting a job as a customer service rep at a major financial services company. I’ll be speaking to customer about their insurance benefits. Sounds like fun, huh? It pays $14/hr. It’s better than flippin’ burgers or mopping floors. I’ve worked at call centers before and they suck, but I can’t really find anything. But, I’m sure you need something that pays a lot more than $14/hr.

P.S. I’ve submitted my resume to GOM for AB jobs onboard rigs, etc. Don’t want a 3/M job because I haven’t sailed in awhile.