Navy vet looking to join

I am a Navy Vet and I need some guidance on the steps I need to take on becoming a mariner. I have contacted the coast guard and I am in the process of filling out my application and getting my twic taken care of.

I was a machinist mate E-3(sw) worked on a steam ship in the engine room. What do I put down on the application so I can stay in engineering and make sure I get the right qualifications?

Also once all of that is taken care of what steps do I take to find employment? Everything I have heard points me to going to union halls. Is there another option for me?

[QUOTE=mjweichold;59932]I am a Navy Vet and I need some guidance on the steps I need to take on becoming a mariner. I have contacted the coast guard and I am in the process of filling out my application and getting my twic taken care of.[/QUOTE]

First, gather all you records which show your ships, your division(s), your rate(s), your assignments and the dates of such. This is needed for the USCG to determine what certificate eligibility you meet.

[QUOTE=mjweichold;59932]I was a machinist mate E-3(sw) worked on a steam ship in the engine room. What do I put down on the application so I can stay in engineering and make sure I get the right qualifications?[/QUOTE]

Again, view your Navy Records (if you have lost them you can write to BuPers and you will be sent copies). This will take some time, unfortunately. Then, with your records handy, under ā€œremarksā€ carefully list ALL your assignments. You may have enough time to sit for your Third Assistant License, please discuss this with the USCG. With your background in steam I feel all you need to do is purchases applicable books and do your own study. The USCG will tell you if you are eligible. I highly recommend you obtain both steam and motor (diesel), do you have diesel experience? There are several important USCG manuals available, and a lot of good books on the market. Iā€™ve been retired for awhile but should you ever want me to help you with what material you need to purchase kindly send me a private email and Iā€™ll see what I can do.

[QUOTE=mjweichold;59932]Also once all of that is taken care of what steps do I take to find employment? Everything I have heard points me to going to union halls. Is there another option for me?[/QUOTE]

Find the nearest MEBA Hall, with License in hand pay them a visit, again, I can help you with this. There are good non union jobs also available, you will need both steam and motor on your 3rdā€™s.

I wish you the best of success.

You need to get your navy service records (assuming you donā€™t have them already). You need to submit them to nmc if you want credit for anything you accomplished in the Navy.
Call MFOW for info.

One more item, if you do not have sufficient time to sit for your 3rdā€™s then I highly recommend the SIU school at Piney Point.

http://www.seafarers.org/

If you canā€™t get a license yet and want to stay in the engine room definitely look into MFOW. Better pay for the unlicensed. They donā€™t have as many ships as SIU but if you can get in and get a job it would be better than SIU. They are on the west coast and I am not sure where you are. As for a licensed job like said above go to MEBA hall and sign up. You can ship out with a $100 payment for first quarter dues

What does MFOW stand for?

I have all my records and I have put down all the information. I was also going to send a copy in case I forgot something or just failed to put something down.

I greatly appreciate everyoneā€™s advice. I am not looking to go to SIU school. Right now I really just want to get started bringing some income home.

MFOW is the Marine Fireman,Oilers and Watertenders. Itā€™s the west coast union for unlicensed engine room people.

From the USCG Marine Safety Manual Chapter 2:

ā€œ[I]Service as fireman apprentice (FA) or fireman (FN) is equivalent to sea service as a wiper or coal passerā€[/I] also
"MM" receives ā€˜Zeroā€™ consideration of seatime credit, (ā€œENā€ receives 100% consideration in comparison) but it also states:

ā€œ[I]Engineer Service. Any enlisted service which can be equated to wiper or to any of the qualified member of the engine department (QMED) ratings may be accepted toward meeting the service requirements for all the QMED endorsements except deck engine mechanic and engineman. Qualifications for deck engine mechanic and engineman must be evaluated separately since these two ratings have specific qualification requirements which must be met.ā€ [/I]

AND

ā€œ[I]Ratings Accepted Toward Licenses. Certain ratings due to their nature are usually disqualifying on their face for a license. Figure 2-1 is a guide for evaluating service in various ratings. Suggested acceptance of service is indicated by ā€œXXX.ā€( no xxx next to MM) When evaluating military ratings, if the military service is found to be closely related to the duties of AB or QMED, then RECs are authorized to grant up to 50% of the service towards the applicable license.ā€[/I]

There you go, welcome to the wonderful world Merchant Marine Credentialing! You might consider employing a consultant, there are several mentioned in this forum from time to time.

[QUOTE=brjones;59949]If you canā€™t get a license yet and want to stay in the engine room definitely look into MFOW. Better pay for the unlicensed. They donā€™t have as many ships as SIU but if you can get in and get a job it would be better than SIU. They are on the west coast and I am not sure where you are. As for a licensed job like said above go to MEBA hall and sign up. You can ship out with a $100 payment for first quarter dues[/QUOTE]

MFOW has good contracts, no doubt about that. They also have few jobs unless you have QMED Jr. Eng, Reefer and Elec. Otherwise you will have a tough time of it. They have only 2 major companies under contract (Matson/APL) and some MSC ships (some of which have been lost to SIU contracted companies very recently).

On the tanker I was just on, the engineers were MEBA and the rumor was that MEBA will close the membership to newbies after having lost a major contract to AMO.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;59947]One more item, if you do not have sufficient time to sit for your 3rdā€™s then I highly recommend the SIU school at Piney Point.

http://www.seafarers.org/[/QUOTE]

It is a great program.

Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s still in the program at Piney Point but at one time, they had an accelerated trainee class for Vets with seatime.

[QUOTE=injunear;60081]Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s still in the program at Piney Point but at one time, they had an accelerated trainee class for Vets with seatime.[/QUOTE]

Look at the bottom of the page:
http://www.seafarers.org/jobs/ua.html

If you have any questions about the application process please contact the Admissions Office at 301-994-0010, Ext. 2 or email Admissions@seafarers.org.

I am a Navy Vet and I need some guidance on the steps I need to take on becoming a mariner. I have contacted the coast guard and I am in the process of filling out my application and getting my twic taken care of

According to my records I have 3yrs 6months of sea service. My qualifications range from engine room messenger (wiper) all the way up to Supervisor. I was qualified damage control supervisor as well as advanced shipboard fire fighter. I also have a centrifugal air-conditioning operator qual.

In the remarks section of my application what should I put, so that I can receive the highest certification/ licensing?

Happy New Year and thank you all for your advice and help

[QUOTE=mjweichold;60129]According to my records I have 3yrs 6months of sea service. My qualifications range from engine room messenger (wiper) all the way up to Supervisor. I was qualified damage control supervisor as well as advanced shipboard fire fighter. I also have a centrifugal air-conditioning operator qual.

In the remarks section of my application what should I put, so that I can receive the highest certification/ licensing?

Happy New Year and thank you all for your advice and help[/QUOTE]

Everything with the dates and time spent in each qualification.

Thanks. I will most def do that

I noticed this in the January SIU Log in their list of courses.

Ratings Forming Part of an
Engineering Watch Assessment Program for
Military Veterans
(SHLSOS-421)
Prerequisites: Military Veteran with proof
of DD-214 and page 4, 180 days of creditable
sea time

Forgive my ignorance, but how does your info help me

If you choose to join the SIU, they offer many courses for rates and licenses. They provide room, board and transportation to and from school. (the board has been iffy in the past) There is an accelerated path for Vets with creditable service.

What licenseā€™s can I apply for in engineering? QMED (oiler), wiper, 3rd assistant? Iā€™m not sure I know all the engineering rates.