Signature on your dp log

When you work as a Master, do you sign your own DP log book ? …or do you ask one of your Captains/Mates to sign it for you?

I believe the NI literature calls for either a DPO holding an NI certificate working onboard or the relieving Master to sign.

So… what you are saying is…that I should not sign my own book and ask my DP/Mate to sign it for me even if the log says “Master’s signature”?

[QUOTE=GYRO;89607]So… what you are saying is…that I should not sign my own book and ask my DP/Mate to sign it for me even if the log says “Master’s signature”?[/QUOTE]

I have a DPO working for me and my relief sign my book though I also keep an XL spreadsheet with everyday’s activities, weather location and other pertinent info. Mostly because I like databases.

I’m saying that is what I recall reading on the Nautical Institute website in either the DP FAQ section or one of the PDF files there that explains the DP certification process. I would suggest going to the NI website and looking at the literature to verify yourself. www.nautinst.org and select DP from the menu

I kinda agree with you, the NI site tells you how to get your cert not how to maintain you dp history. I got the DP cert already, the question is: can I sign it myself as a master. It is funny that there is no firm answer to that…perhaps, I can’t find it.

[QUOTE=GYRO;89616]I kinda agree with you, the NI site tells you how to get your cert not how to maintain you dp history. I got the DP cert already, the question is: can I sign it myself as a master. It is funny that there is no firm answer to that…perhaps, I can’t find it.[/QUOTE]
The person signs saying you completed the exercises under supervision.
If you could sign your own logbook surely just stay at home and do it
obvious when you think about it
Catch is if you are the Master on a vessel and there is no DPO on board you have a problem
http://www.nautinst.org/en/dynamic-positioning/guidance/logbook-guidance.cfm

then download the file.

[QUOTE=“powerabout;89959”]
The person signs saying you completed the exercises under supervision.[/QUOTE]

You are thinking about something completely different than the question asked. He is just adding about logging his sea time, he already has his certificate thus doesn’t need anyone to sign saying he completed any “exercises”.

Exactly right! I don’t need anybody to sign for my training, I DO HAVE THE CERT.!!! question is how do you log your time for the recency? and do you sign your own log book or ask your mate?

I would stick with what I said in my first post. Relieving Master or NI certified DPO should sign. For a definitive answer contact the Nautical Institute DP department.

I did…but it looks like their customer service has better things to do than answering my silly emails/phone calls :slight_smile:

I never had luck with email. I was only able to reach them by phone.

The NI got in touch with me finally…and the answer is …yes! You can sign your own log book, as long as you serve as a master.

Why would you bother with the NI log book after you get your certificate?
Until the USCG get interested in DP and expire your certificate why do you need to record it.

A lot of companies want to see that you have been working on dp and that you were actually using the dp system. Instead of using the NI book you can also look into getting an IMCA logbook to record time for recency as well as any additional dp training you go through.

and a log book signed by yourself proves you were using the DP system on your vessel?

[QUOTE=“powerabout;91243”]Why would you bother with the NI log book after you get your certificate?
Until the USCG get interested in DP and expire your certificate why do you need to record it.[/QUOTE]

Because your DP certificate will expire and you will need recency to renew it.

Only your flag state can expire it and the USCG has not yet agreed to do this.
newer tickets say 5 years older ones don’t say anything.
The NI doesnt even have a course for renewing (its coming)lets say yours does expire…then what will you do?

[QUOTE=“powerabout;91330”]Only your flag state can expire it and the USCG has not yet agreed to do this.
newer tickets say 5 years older ones don’t say anything.
The NI doesnt even have a course for renewing (its coming)lets say yours does expire…then what will you do?[/QUOTE]

You will send your log book as a proof of recency and you’ll be issued new Cert.

[QUOTE=“powerabout;91330”]Only your flag state can expire it and the USCG has not yet agreed to do this.
newer tickets say 5 years older ones don’t say anything.[/QUOTE]

The ni can expire it by saying that any undated certificate is not valid after a certain date.