Signature on your dp log

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;91669]The ni can expire it by saying that any undated certificate is not valid after a certain date.[/QUOTE]
I’ll bet that will never happen.
Your flag state may do that though.

[QUOTE=“powerabout;91682”]
I’ll bet that will never happen.
Your flag state may do that though.[/QUOTE]

They are giving new certificates expiration dates, why doesn’t that make you think they plan to make undated ones expire at some point?

I have to agree with Capt. Phoenix on this one. From the Nautical Institute DP FAQ on their website: “The Nautical Institute has recently approved a process to re-validate DP certificates. From January 2012, the Institute will start printing a validity date of 5 years from the certificate date issued on the certificates. Further instructions and procedures are being developed by The Nautical Institute to determine what the period will be for mariners who have been issued with a DP license to re- validate their certificate. The re-validation process will start in January 2014, allowing industry to become familiar with the information and procedures.”

Sounds to me like the undated certificates will have a expiration date once the NI figures out how to implement it.

Yes they have been issuing certificates that say they expire in 5 years this year
What happens to the thousands out there with no expiry on them and they were given to you with a course attendance versus next years which will have an exam and have expiry date?
For example what does your GMDSS license say and who says it can expire or not? ( that answer is different all over the world)

[QUOTE=“powerabout;91710”]Yes they have been issuing certificates that say they expire in 5 years this year
What happens to the thousands out there with no expiry on them and they were given to you with a course attendance versus next years which will have an exam and have expiry date?
For example what does your GMDSS license say and who says it can expire or not? ( that answer is different all over the world)[/QUOTE]

And who decides if your GMDSS license express? Oh yeah, the organization that issued it! Since the NI is the only organization that issues NI DP certificates then it is up to them to make them expire. Also, they can do whatever the fuck they want because it is their certificate.

Certs issued with a 5 year validity will be renewed upon a refresher course after 5 years. This is true to most STCW course certificates issued.
DP certs issued in the past with no validity will be replaced after a refresher and it is important to maintain your DP logbook.

NI have always said that the Master can sign his own logbook, or the most Senior DPO on board so long as he has a full DP license. They expect that the Captain is honest and has integrity.

[QUOTE=dredgeboater;91695]I have to agree with Capt. Phoenix on this one. From the Nautical Institute DP FAQ on their website: “The Nautical Institute has recently approved a process to re-validate DP certificates. From January 2012, the Institute will start printing a validity date of 5 years from the certificate date issued on the certificates. Further instructions and procedures are being developed by The Nautical Institute to determine what the period will be for mariners who have been issued with a DP license to re- validate their certificate. The re-validation process will start in January 2014, allowing industry to become familiar with the information and procedures.”

Sounds to me like the undated certificates will have a expiration date once the NI figures out how to implement it.[/QUOTE]

I CERTAINLY HOPE that re-validation criteria include requiring possession of a valid Maritime License prior to re-issuance of the Certificate. ENSCO is putting people behind the desk that wouldn't know whether to shit or wind their watch if they had to go to joystick or manual. A major accident waiting to happen.

[QUOTE=stevefoster;91749]I CERTAINLY HOPE that re-validation criteria include requiring possession of a valid Maritime License prior to re-issuance of the Certificate. ENSCO is putting people behind the desk that wouldn’t know whether to shit or wind their watch if they had to go to joystick or manual. A major accident waiting to happen.[/QUOTE]
I dont see the connection between having a Marine ticket and assuming you are competent to drive a boat