Should I join SIU

I just started working for Military Sealift Command, from what I understand 65% or so of there ships are crewed by SIU hall guys, the non Unrep ships. They also write the contract, so we as CIVMARS get represented for free!! They came by the MSC today recruiting people… I was not there, I don’t want to sound like a “freeloader” but since we kind of get them to represent us for free why would I pay there dues? Besides if I ever left MSC and sailed for them what would be any advantages of buying there book, and what services would we get that we don’t already? I don’t feel right asking them this question, don’t want to sound like an a$$.

That’s a valid question. It would be to your advantage to have book in hand if you decide to leave MSC. The pension fund is in good shape. (and I hope it stays that way) You have other options like the Inland division that covers seagoing tugs and ATBs. Many of these contracts pay double pension contributions. Pensions are uncapped and wage related. Also, there is a 401K now. Many of these jobs are equal time rotation. Once you’re a member in good standing, paid transportation, room and board, (board can be iffy sometimes) for upgrade courses. Very good facilities.

But of course this is still the marine indusrty. There are many horror stories also. Good luck!

injunear, doesn’t shipping over from one division to another drop you to C seniority? Going inland might be alright if traffic picks up, but going to deep sea, you’re SOL. BUT, being SIU, things have a way of being taken care of. Everything else posted is true enough.

That is true about the seniority except going to inland sometimes. In the past, inland book holders have been passed over for deep sea guys taking inland relief jobs to get a “killer card”. Several of us “got ugly” about this practice and it slowed down. Most inland jobs are not even posted.

In 24 years with the SIU Inland, we had decent contracts and I was never out of work. Very few places left where you can retire at 55.

Well since They just write our contract we don’t really sail for them we sail for the Navy. So my 40$ won’t get me any benefits,pension etc. all it will give me is representation by the SIU. Also if I had a problem I would be VERY hesitant about bringing it up cause if ship personel or my MSC detailer got wind I went crying to my union rep MSC could make my live hell cause we are not day rate we are hourly and its ALL about the overtime!!! Any more thought?

No.
Do not join any union until you absolutely must join to get or keep a job.
As a civil servant on a public vessel you already have sufficient avenues to seek compensation for any injustice that might occur to you.

[QUOTE=injunear;33128]That is true about the seniority except going to inland sometimes. In the past, inland book holders have been passed over for deep sea guys taking inland relief jobs to get a “killer card”. Several of us “got ugly” about this practice and it slowed down. Most inland jobs are not even posted.

In 24 years with the SIU Inland, we had decent contracts and I was never out of work. Very few places left where you can retire at 55.[/QUOTE]

Please clarify. Are you guys saying that if you earn a “B Card” in SIU while sailing for MSC when you quit MSC and return to the hall to get non MSC jobs you lose your “B Card” and it reverts to a “C Card?” I always thought the combo of MSC/SIU would be a shortcut to a “B-Card” with SIU. I guess not though???

Thx!

When I was with MSC (1980-1997) guys in the union were limited to earning a B book with the union. The reason the union gave was that seatime was much more easily attainable as a civmar. They didn’t want guys quitting MSC with an A book and then scarfing up the hall jobs.

No do not join SIU the are a bunch of crooks. I use to work for MSC (02-08) and I joined, they do not do anything for you. If you sail with SIU theyou start as a C book nothing else, so keep your money and buy you some beer, trust me.

I need some advice: I am a retired Navy Chief Quartermaster, and I went back to school over the summer and got my AB (unlimited), Lifeboatman, RFPNW, OS, Wiper, STCW-95, and FH; I have been sending out resumes for months and haven’t even gotten one response; some people have told me that because I retired over 10-years ago (I’ve been in the trucking industry since) that’s the reason.

Some have suggested joining the SIU, and getting started that way. I have no problem with that, there is a union hall right by my home in Norfolk VA; my question is this: with this c-book thing, how long is the realistic wait for an assignment?

I’ve heard many stories, but I figure you guys will know.

Thanks,

Chris M

I would like to know as well. Also im more interested in the tugboat SIU jobs. The place I work for now is near the bottom of the barrell in wages, boat conditions, and high in BS. I want to go somewhere where I dont have to live in squalor for 6 months out of the year and somewhere I can have a shot at advancement.

But what I really hope is that the RR calls back. Fingers crossed!!

Sending out resumes probably wont do it. Go to the company offices, and you might consider making a road trip to areas outside of NorVA, start with South LA; find a cheap hotel as a base and make the rounds of all the companies there. That tactic has been discussed here several times with reports of success. As you are near NorVA, keep your eyes peeled on the MSC website, working for them would be perfect for someone living there. IMHO, the fact that you’ve been out of the Navy for 10 years has nothing to do with any of it.

[QUOTE=Cmannoia;47754]I need some advice: I am a retired Navy Chief Quartermaster, and I went back to school over the summer and got my AB (unlimited), Lifeboatman, RFPNW, OS, Wiper, STCW-95, and FH; I have been sending out resumes for months and haven’t even gotten one response; some people have told me that because I retired over 10-years ago (I’ve been in the trucking industry since) that’s the reason.

Some have suggested joining the SIU, and getting started that way. I have no problem with that, there is a union hall right by my home in Norfolk VA; my question is this: with this c-book thing, how long is the realistic wait for an assignment?

I’ve heard many stories, but I figure you guys will know.

Thanks,

Chris M[/QUOTE]

I too am a c book with siu and just spent three weeks at piney point union school where I asked the same question to many. The general opinion is 2 to 3 months on the deck side as an ab unlimited with full stcw / rfpnw [which I have] on the engineering figure 1 to 2 months if a qmed oiler

I started in the SIU as a unlicensed apprentice and I am now a Chesapeake by Pilot. My advice is to start there, but think for yourself and ask questions. Don’t take anything at face value and don’t pigeon hole yourself into a career in the SIU. There are a million opportunity’s out there, but you have to look out for #1 because no one else is. I am very versed in the SIU policy’s as well as Coast guard regulations and cfr’s. If I can help in any way please let me know!! I am in the Norfolk area all of the time.

I sailed SIU for five years. I always got a job. You control your time off while working for a union unlike MSC. If you are motivated then SIU is a good stepping stone for sea time to obtain a license. The hard part is you need to live close to a union hall so you can go there everyday while looking for a ship. I would say go ahead and sign up with them and pay the $400 a year dues then if you quit MSC you can go right on down to the hall and be sitting pretty with all your stuff in line.

I went down to the Norfolk SIU hall today. The guy at the desk was VERY help to me. He explained how the system works and what I would qualify for, and what kind of wait in the hall would be required. He also checked into a few tug SIU jobs on the spot for me. He said that I could sign up if I wanted to but I was better off at the place im at now than hanging around in the hall for a few weeks. He said I qualified as a STOS with a class C book but if I took a lifeboatman class I would be an AB with what he called a “C+” plus book. Like I said he was very helpful. I figgured when I just wanted some info on how it works he would send me on my way.

Its an option but as long as I have a job ill stay with what I got hopefully ill hear from one of the places I applied to soon and if I get laid-off ill go back down there and get in the system.

Thanks guys. Hey, Kenny W, George is a great guy, isn’t he? He sat with me for over 2-hours and explained all of my options with them. I came away with a good impression of the union with them. I keep asking about SIU because I have gotten no answers from any job applications I’ve put out. I want to get to sea this year, and it looks like that is the way to go. Right now I’m up in NYC taking care of my sister (and I have a job as a freight broker), but this will be coming to an end in July, so I figure it’s time to go home to Virginia and get started with SIU.

The first thing he said to me was “are you stupid?” But ya I was expecting to get a lot less info than what I got. I doubt people like him are the norm at SIU but if I join at least ill get to deal with him instead of some angry union hack.

Kenny we are SIU & about the only thing we get is the use of Piney Pt. wondering if you made that call i told you about?

No not yet. I have a lead or 2 when I get off, and more applications to put in.