Should I join SIU

Is there anyway to by pass the sitting in the union hall everyday? That is a 60mile drive one way for me.

Can you join SIU without going to the school in Maryland

Yes, you dont have to go to the school to join the SIU, you can get all the required documents (MMC, TWIC etc…) and just go the hall and register for work.

[QUOTE=SIUMember;96006]Yes, you dont have to go to the school to join the SIU, you can get all the required documents (MMC, TWIC etc…) and just go the hall and register for work.[/QUOTE]

You also have to pay for your first SIU physical and drug screen. After that, the annual physicals are free.

[QUOTE=Cmannoia;47754]I need some advice: I am a retired Navy Chief Quartermaster, and I went back to school over the summer and got my AB (unlimited), Lifeboatman, RFPNW, OS, Wiper, STCW-95, and FH; I have been sending out resumes for months and haven’t even gotten one response; some people have told me that because I retired over 10-years ago (I’ve been in the trucking industry since) that’s the reason.

Some have suggested joining the SIU, and getting started that way. I have no problem with that, there is a union hall right by my home in Norfolk VA; my question is this: with this c-book thing, how long is the realistic wait for an assignment?

I’ve heard many stories, but I figure you guys will know.

Thanks,

Chris M[/QUOTE]

Don’t join SIU unless you are desperate! Try to get a job with Chevron Shipping, it’s in San Ramon, CA. They hire both union (SUP) and non union. You can join SUP later if you want. It’s a better union, maybe not as many jobs as SIU, but they are not crooks and pay is better. Working for Chevron does not require to go to Union Hall, company schedules your rotation.

Physicals are free after your initial one as long as you get the qualifying time.

[QUOTE=SIUMember;96045]Physicals are free after your initial one as long as you get the qualifying time.[/QUOTE]

I think that’s 125 days in a calender year, correct?

It’s 120 days for medical, 125 for pension and 90 for seniority.