MSC or SIU

Which one is the best to join I see right now I will have to join a union to get me some exp cause wont nobody get me a chances to work for there company. I already have my TWIC, MMD, Safegulf, T-Huet and Swingrope, Passport on hand now. Could yall give me some suggestions… Also How long do u gone with MSC and How long will you be gone with SIU. Am so ready to make a career am tried og struggling.

1 Like

Go for it. You’ll be gone for months at a time though.

Which one is the best to join?

You’re not really “gone” on an MSC vessel. You live on the ship so you’re always home.

Join the union it will be the single greatest and noblest thing you will ever do with your life. It’s the career equivalent of being an Eagle Scout and helping old ladies across the street.

Hahahaha
I am curious where are all the Union Sympathizers ??
This guy just served them a soft ball.

Being employed by MSC doesn’t preclude you from joining the SIU. SIU’s Government Services Division covers CIVMARS for those who want to join. I have no idea what sort of things transfer with regards to Book seniority or other benefits that may exist if you wanted to quit MSC afterwards and move to SIU’s deep sea division.

[QUOTE=Chief Seadog;163123]Being employed by MSC doesn’t preclude you from joining the SIU. SIU’s Government Services Division covers CIVMARS for those who want to join. I have no idea what sort of things transfer with regards to Book seniority or other benefits that may exist if you wanted to quit MSC afterwards and move to SIU’s deep sea division.[/QUOTE]

What if its the other way around; SIU member becoming a CIVMAR? Can that be done as well? I know it sounds like a “the sky is blue” question, but I’ve learned to never assume anything.

[QUOTE=TheShipCantSink;163129]What if its the other way around; SIU member becoming a CIVMAR? Can that be done as well? I know it sounds like a “the sky is blue” question, but I’ve learned to never assume anything.[/QUOTE]

The OP question was MSC vs SIU but what was meant (I assume) was SIU training at Piney Point and then deep-sea jobs through the hiring hall system or a job at MSC.

The SIU hiring hall uses a seniority system for bidding on jobs. “A” books have seniority over “B” books etc. If you decide to ship out of the hall SIU shipping rules may count your sea time aquired at MSC when determining your “book status” if you were in the SIU while at MSC.

MSC doesn’t use the hiring hall system but hires using their own system. As far as I know your seniority in SIU has no bearing on if MSC hires you or not.

[QUOTE=newsailoralabama;163076]Which one is the best to join?[/QUOTE]

You can’t really join MSC, you have to get hired. If you’re looking for work it wouldn’t hurt to put in a application. Also NOAA. As far as time away, if you just getting started you can’t really be too picky. If you want to be ashore stay ashore.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;163134]The OP question was MSC vs SIU but what was meant (I assume) was SIU training at Piney Point and then deep-sea jobs through the hiring hall system or a job at MSC.

The SIU hiring hall uses a seniority system for bidding on jobs. “A” books have seniority over “B” books etc. If you decide to ship out of the hall SIU shipping rules may count your sea time aquired at MSC when determining your “book status” if you were in the SIU while at MSC.

MSC doesn’t use the hiring hall system but hires using their own system. As far as I know your seniority in SIU has no bearing on if MSC hires you or not.[/QUOTE]

So it probably only works one way, then. Good to know.

[QUOTE=TheShipCantSink;163147]So it probably only works one way, then. Good to know.[/QUOTE]

Well, yes that’s the simple answer.

If you ship out of the hall you get a ship, sign on, make a trip then sign off. When you want to work again you go back to the hall, get another ship, maybe at a differant company and sign on again etc. Bidding is based on seniority so it’s easier to ship with an A book then a C book

At MSC you just get hired one time and you work for MSC till you quit, retire get fired etc. MSC has no job call etc so the hall hiring system is completely irrelevant.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;163152]
At MSC you just get hired one time and you work for MSC till you quit, retire get fired etc. MSC has no job call etc so the hall hiring system is completely irrelevant.[/QUOTE]

Oh I know all that. I was just concerned that being an SIU member who decides to seek direct employment by MSC as a CIVMAR would be frowned upon by the union.

I’d say do both. Submit an application with MSC, if you get hired join the SIU government division (not sure if it’s actually called that).
Also, and I hope you won’t take this the wrong way, but work on your grammar and spelling. If you submitted a resume that read like your original post, I highly doubt it would be considered.

4 Likes

[QUOTE=TheShipCantSink;163159]Oh I know all that. I was just concerned that being an SIU member who decides to seek direct employment by MSC as a CIVMAR would be frowned upon by the union.[/QUOTE]

And how would the union know you have an application in with MSC, and why would it be a concern for them? I sure hope you’re doing more besides putting all your hopes on MSC.

[QUOTE=catherder;163214]And how would the union know you have an application in with MSC, and why would it be a concern for them? I sure hope you’re doing more besides putting all your hopes on MSC.[/QUOTE]

Well, if MSC doesn’t happen, I can look forward to a long and productive marriage with SIU…

[QUOTE=TheShipCantSink;163237]Well, if MSC doesn’t happen, I can look forward to a long and productive marriage with SIU…[/QUOTE]

Is MSC the only place you’ve applied?

How about the other fed agencies, tugs, workboats, etc?

You know that there are SIU-crewed MSC contract operated vessels, right? You work for the company as an MSC contractor.

[QUOTE=catherder;163245]Is MSC the only place you’ve applied?

How about the other fed agencies, tugs, workboats, etc?

You know that there are SIU-crewed MSC contract operated vessels, right? You work for the company as an MSC contractor.[/QUOTE]

Check your PM.

[QUOTE=TheShipCantSink;163247]Check your PM.[/QUOTE]

Sent reply.

What about [B]SUP[/B] shipping out AB’s out of the west coast? Dont they man the ships in Guam/Saipan?

If one has the certs from working at SIU can you get on right away or is it a wait for an A book kind of thing.