Questions about SIU

Did a search on the Forum, but all I found was several year old posts. I am considering joining SIU and sailing on MSC for a few years to earn the sea time to work up to my 1600 Masters.
Anyone here currently with SIU? I do have a friend who is an Engineer and I have talked to them but would like to hear others opinions.
The reason I am considering this is I sent dozens (about 63) of resumes out in the past 6 months and have not gotten any call backs so it seems as SIU always works. My friend speaks highly of SIU. I do know of another individual that meet in the Leadership and Management course that works for Crowley and he says Crowley and SIU have a sound working relationship.
Just trying to get some updated info.
Oh this is what I have for reference:
: OUPV,Able Seamen(special), RPNFW, Lifeboatman, Radar Unlimited, Basic Training, VPDSD,Leadership and Management, Wiper, Stewards Dept.: Expires 2021 Plus a passport and a current military security clearance

With a security clearance you should be able to land work on MSC contract operated ships. Other than that, my understanding is that shipping is tight and the SIU prefers their Paul Hall graduates over others who walk in the door. I belonged to them for a couple of years but never shipped with them as I was working for a federal agency.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

If you apply to work for a MSC contractor you will have to go through SIU. I you apply directly to MSC, you do not have to join a union. You will be working for Uncle Sam as a Civmar and the wages and benefits are better.

[QUOTE=Ultraclassic;184839]Did a search on the Forum, but all I found was several year old posts. I am considering joining SIU and sailing on MSC for a few years to earn the sea time to work up to my 1600 Masters.
Anyone here currently with SIU? I do have a friend who is an Engineer and I have talked to them but would like to hear others opinions.
The reason I am considering this is I sent dozens (about 63) of resumes out in the past 6 months and have not gotten any call backs so it seems as SIU always works. My friend speaks highly of SIU. I do know of another individual that meet in the Leadership and Management course that works for Crowley and he says Crowley and SIU have a sound working relationship.
Just trying to get some updated info.
Oh this is what I have for reference:
: OUPV,Able Seamen(special), RPNFW, Lifeboatman, Radar Unlimited, Basic Training, VPDSD,Leadership and Management, Wiper, Stewards Dept.: Expires 2021 Plus a passport and a current military security clearance[/QUOTE]

AB-special? I believe that will limit you on jobs at the SIU hall, but I never shipped as an AB. Maybe someone else can chime in on that part. MSC is not currently hiring any deck jobs, but you should apply as soon as you see a job open up, that sounds like ur best bet for sure.

If you are near a SIU hall just go down there, talk to an agent or patrolman, and see what they say. You can always pay $450 I think it is now for ur SIU physical and get ur C-card… Ask some of the SIU members sitting around the hall and see what they say. But be aware that you might not be at the best hall for your endorsements. You might have a better chance at another SIU hall on the other side of the country. And you would need to pay ur room & board while waiting everyday at the hall for job calls…

I believe the problem is C-cards have to wait till a job goes 8 calls without being picked up before they can throw-down for it.

"I believe the problem is C-cards have to wait till a job goes 8 calls without being picked up before they can throw-down for it."
If everyone turns it down, the hall starts scraping the bottom of the barrel, in which case they might hand it to a green AB Special. There’s a reason guys are passing on it. If it’s been turned down to that extent, it’s probably going to suck. I would ask around and try to find out why no one wants it. Whether you take it depends on how badly you want to ship out. Think twice. That four month hitch could feel like an eternity.

Joined SIU as a full member after retiring from MSC (age 62) so that I could apply for work at a MSC contractor. I thought it would be a good thing.

Hired directly by a contractor as AB and processed thru the Norfolk hall.

What I was led to believe would be the conditions aboard did not match reality. It was the worst.

I quit after a week and soon was hired to AB aboard a new research vessel.

That’s where you should apply. Google UNOLS. Forget SIU.

(The SIU boat was second worst, actually. The sea kelp harvester out of San Diego in the early 80s was the worst).

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies. I went down to the hall yesterday and talked to the Patrolman that my friend spoke to about me. He had me lined up to sail in July on a USNS contracted through Crowley in about 5 minutes. Just waiting to do the physical. (No issues there) Considering where I am now and the pay where I’m at is beyond shitty and only 35 hours a week. Yes, it’s a Maritime job. I gave up being a Private Military Contractor to get into the Maritime Industry, as it’s always been a goal of mine. I understand there will be times that you have to take the good with the bad and as I am just starting out I will not be able to hand pick my jobs. I hope that will be give me a little variety with different ships and different companies. I could have went back to being an PMC but wife told me after 22 years active duty and 5 as a PMC in the sandbox she feels being on board ship will allow her to sleep a little easier. HA HA

Someone say it

[QUOTE=Tugslasthitch;184977]Someone say it[/QUOTE]

What? You’re making the worst mistake of your life? Or get ready to wash Mike Sacco’s helicopter.

I am really glad I read this thread.