Joining SIU union

Is there any way to join the Seafarers International Union without going to the school in Maryland?

1 Like

Call the Philly office

Yes but you will only be a C-book

You can join and sail Inland division on tugs, seagoing tugs and ATBs. You’ll still be C book if you try to ship deep sea.

Will having only entry level ratings hurt me? I also don’t have a STCW yet. I have 5 years offshore experience as a commercial diver and anchor handler so I never needed a MMC. I have a twic card already.

any info will help

I only have entry level ratings and no STCW yet. I have 5 years offshore as a commercial diver and an anchor handler so I never needed my Merchant Mariners Credential. Will this hurt me with the union?

I have an entry level Merchant Mariners Credential. No STCW. I have pervious experience offshore totaling 5 years but was never required to have a z-card. Will this hurt me with the union?

Most of Crowley on the right side is SIU. They’ve those Ocean Wave class DP tugs coming out. Heard that Jensen failed to actually make them perform up to the standards they advertised though.

[QUOTE=injunear;94945]You can join and sail Inland division on tugs, seagoing tugs and ATBs. You’ll still be C book if you try to ship deep sea.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was forced to join the SIU when I signed on with Crowley back in the old days.

If you are just beginning to sail the i would recommend going to the school, I attended the school in 08 and it sucks while your there but it is a great school. you come out a much better sailor than 90% of the people that didnt go, if you take advantage of everything they have to offer (no one get offended by that). you just have to look past all the union bull sh!+ they try and push into your head. but if your already experienced non union companies now adays have just as much to offer if not better benefits etc. trying to get with them is the tough part. good luckk keep us posted

How long does it take to get on a ship being a c-book, and how long does it take to get from a c to a b-book? I’m considering the school but I really don’t want to go without a paycheck for a whole year.

[QUOTE=Durg;95402]How long does it take to get on a ship being a c-book, and how long does it take to get from a c to a b-book? I’m considering the school but I really don’t want to go without a paycheck for a whole year.[/QUOTE]
i believe it is 180 days in one calender year. not 100 % though i went straight to b book after finishing piney point. Now adays ive heard it can take quite sometime to get a ship as a c-card. Best of luck too you though. Like i said before if you dont want to not have a paycheck for a year try some of the nonunion companies. Or let the union rep at the hall know that you want to go inland etc. if he likes you you might have a shot :o

If you’re looking at starting a career with the SIU, and you’re looking to succeed, then you should go to the school. Aside from the fact that you learn much there, you will become a mariner in good standing. It’s politics, but it is also how you play the game. If you’re sailing as an AB out of the hall (deep sea), you will want to gain as much favor as possible, and going through their program is a big part of that. If you get enough underway days your first year, then you will likely make B book. Maintaining this status and advancing to A book is as much about popularity and standing within the union, as it is about seat time and experience. The gold ring is never having having to sail out of the hall, and finding a full time berth with a good company.

The SIU also manages towing company contracts. They negotiate the contracts with companies through their inland division, and yes, you will always be a C book. Not that it matters. Rather than finding the job through the hall, joining the union is usually a condition of employment when directly hired by the company to work full time. No, you do not have to keep competing to work at the company, but your seniority will determine whether you find a full time tug, or bounce from boat to boat. Hope this helps.

It takes 90 days in 2 consecutive years with a total 280 in those 2 years to becoming a full “b” book.

Trying to ship out as a “c” card will take you a lot longer than going to the school.

The school guarantees you a job after completion.

Well that saves me a trip to the union hall. I literally have too many bills to stop working full time and go to the school, too. It’s starting to look like government or the GoM are my only options for now. I can’t afford to go west and try MFOW either.

How much does the school cost? A friend of mine just out of the military is interested.

There is no charge for tuition or room and board for Program participants. However, students are responsible for paying the costs of their uniforms (once the student receives their uniform the fees are non-refundable), a physical exam, drug test, benzene test, and fees for the following required documents: a U.S. Merchant Mariner’s Credential, a Transportation Workers Identification Credential, and a current passport. These fees and costs are approximately $1500. Students must also pay for the cost of their transportation to the Center.

I got that info from the SIU Website. www.seafarers.org

[QUOTE=SIUMember;96004]There is no charge for tuition or room and board for Program participants. However, students are responsible for paying the costs of their uniforms (once the student receives their uniform the fees are non-refundable), a physical exam, drug test, benzene test, and fees for the following required documents: a U.S. Merchant Mariner’s Credential, a Transportation Workers Identification Credential, and a current passport. These fees and costs are approximately $1500. Students must also pay for the cost of their transportation to the Center.[/QUOTE]

If I’m not mistaken, you get paid a little bit during classroom training, and then you get $900 a month during phase II, which is more than enough to pay you back the $1500.

When I went through the program, they gave us about 15-20 per week while at school and I think it was about 900 a month while on board during phase 2.