SIU Questions

How long after “joining” does it take to actually get your C book?

If I am going to join, which I’m not sure I will yet, does it make a difference which hall I join? I currently live in NY, but may be moving to Ft. Lauderdale in August.

Does anyone know of any non-union outfits in and around Ft. Lauderdale?

Thanks!

Not sure if I missed something or not, but what are you planning on shipping out as?

[QUOTE=Tugs;134464]Not sure if I missed something or not, but what are you planning on shipping out as?[/QUOTE]

Ideally deep sea, but I would take anything.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Tugs;134464]Not sure if I missed something or not, but what are you planning on shipping out as?[/QUOTE]
And I would be shipping as a C book OS…

[QUOTE=Skipjack;134444]How long after “joining” does it take to actually get your C book?

If I am going to join, which I’m not sure I will yet, does it make a difference which hall I join? I currently live in NY, but may be moving to Ft. Lauderdale in August.

Does anyone know of any non-union outfits in and around Ft. Lauderdale?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Once you complete their required actions you will be able to put in for a job at the hall. But there are details you must know.

First, your MMD must have a VPDSD endorsement to join SIU, or get any seagoing job. This will probably take 30 business days to receive once you submit your application to the Coast Guard. You can scan the app and Training Certificate and email the file to a REC. I suggest emailing it to the one in Baltimore at REC-BAL-AppSubmission@uscg.mil. The NMC does not charge for STCW endorsements

Ft. Lauderdale and Jax both send out a number of jobs each month, mostly A & B and very few C. Jax is much easier to find if your coming from 95 or 10, but you’re maybe moving to Lauderdale. NYC sends out the most jobs, if I recall right. (Go to the NYC hall and pick up a copy of the SIU Monthly Newspaper and look at the shipping report to get an idea.)

When you go to the hall to join, bring all your training certificates, TWIC, Passport, MMD. You will need a money order for, I think it’s $465 (call the hall and verify) plus $25 cash or MO to pay for your Training Book.

After presenting your docs to the person at the counter and giving them the $$ they will give you receipts and send you home to await notification of the date and place for your SIU physical exam/drug test, and will give you an info sheet on this. The physical is scheduled within a few days of your visit. Within a week or so after the exam SIU medical will inform you by email that you have medical clearance. I suggest that you call SIU medical and ask for the phone# of the lab that did the drug screen so you can request a hard copy.

So now you can go back to the hall to register. When a job is announced a C seniority can put in for it after it has been called 9 times. That means no A or B books want it. (You don’t get an actual book until you move up to B seniority).

Good luck, Bro.

If you’re moving to Lauderdale and haven’t done the VPDSD training yet, do it at MPT in Dania. They can help you find a maritime job.

1 Like