Siu

Does anyone have any advice on joining the SIU. I am currently working in the gulf on a crew boat and would like to try and get on a tanker. I was told the easiest way to do that would be to join the union. I realize it costs money to join, i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how long id be sitting around waiting for a OS job. Also i was wondering if it made a difference where you joined. Thank you.

It would probably be easier to go work for Military Sealift Command.

Don’t do it

This is the exact response from the lady I had made an inquiry to when I was wondering about an OS job with them.

Jesse:

Your inquiry was forwarded from ILWU to the Puget Sound Region Hiring Hall.

I assume since you only have BST, that you are just Ordinary Seaman?

Unfortunately for the Seattle area, unless you are an experienced Cook we have very few (1-2) entry level deck opportunities for an OS. The work is generally ocean/coastwise to Alaska , so the employers only use ABs for deck. You may find more opportunities in the Gulf.

The IBU is only in NW states of AK, WA, OR, CA & HI. None back east or in Gulf. You would probably go with SUP or SIU Unions.

If you wish to register as an OS here, the time to do that would be prior to the season starting, say in Dec or Jan. We only dispatch Apr-Sep as we are governed by weather/ice in AK. There may or may not be any entry level deck opportunities this season, but there are 10 OS currently on the dispatch list, all vying for an opportunity. Some have been on the list for 2 years.

Now if you live in/near San Pedro or San Francisco , CA. you might contact the IBU Hiring Halls there & see if there may be work for OS.

Pretty much it sounds like whatever jobs they have that are OS you are going to be waiting for a long time. Maybe get your AB somewhere else and you could have a good chance at getting on with them.

Ya but your talking about the west coast. Ive already been in touch with the hall in Brooklyn and they told me they would put me to work. My question was more about the New Orleans specifically.

They do have shitty contracts. You need to ask yourself why you want that experience. Just out of curiosity, why tankers?

[QUOTE=MFOWelectrician;115111]They do have shitty contracts. You need to ask yourself why you want that experience. Just out of curiosity, why tankers?[/QUOTE]

It’s cyclical. I left the oilfield in '86 and joined the SIU. The OS on the first tug I worked made more with OT than I did as Chief on an anchor boat. I retired 24 years later with a wage related pension at 56. The insurance is company paid while working and is $100@month in retirement.

There are so many paths to advance that one has to weigh their options. Piney Point has some pretty good courses with free room and board (board can be iffy) and paid transportation.

I have a cousin that went through the trainee program and has done well. With a B book he has shipped without much wait. He’ll be a 3rd asst in a year or so.

Thanks for the info. It’s just that I’ve heard so many SIU members, even on the best contracts bitch and moan. I never took the time to look into what they really have. To each his own. Thanks for the insight.

My one time experience was yesterday calling the hall in “Harvey Louisiana”, and his guy has no people skills. I asked how much fees would be and he told me I had to go to SIU school for a year or if I joined I would be sitting on his desk up to 2 years without work. I told him I had all of my credentials and his reply was it don’t matter… Here’s what’s even crazier, I looked at the school, and part of being accepted is not to have not one cavity in your mouth lmao!!!

[QUOTE=flapper;115147]My one time experience was yesterday calling the hall in “Harvey Louisiana”, and his guy has no people skills. I asked how much fees would be and he told me I had to go to SIU school for a year or if I joined I would be sitting on his desk up to 2 years without work. I told him I had all of my credentials and his reply was it don’t matter… Here’s what’s even crazier, I looked at the school, and part of being accepted is not to have not one cavity in your mouth lmao!!![/QUOTE]

The dental thing is a requirement to get into the unlicensed apprentice program. The deep sea contracts require the stewards and cooks to be certified from Piney Point. I’ve been out of the loop for 4 years but I believe the cooks on the inland contracts (seagoing tugs, ATBs, dredges) don’t require certification . Be sure to tell the port agent you’re willing to work inland contracts. If you’re accepted, you’ll have to pay for your first physical and drug screen. After that, annual physicals and drug screens are free.

Union or non union, it’s feast or famine. The port agents can be assholes, but then again, they have to put up with a lot shit from guy like me!

Good luck on your quest!

1 Like

Do you know any non union companies. Is it possible to get on a tanker without joining a union?

My thing is i already applied to piney point but they rejected my application based on the amount of applicants. There has to be os jobs, boats have and always will need men for os jobs.

You can also check out the SUP. it’s a long shot though, they have good contracts. People lined up to get in.

You can join SIU just get the physical and pay the fee. Phone moron was blowing you off. Unions can be their own worst enemies!

[QUOTE=matthewfarrar19;115248]My thing is i already applied to piney point but they rejected my application based on the amount of applicants. There has to be os jobs, boats have and always will need men for os jobs.[/QUOTE]

You’d be a lot better off with an AB ticket.

How long do you think id have to wait for a job. As an OS.

They are def killing themselves. Ive called in the past and been told there are no Jobs no prospect for jobs but I should still send them my money fir the privilege of waiting in the chance of a prayer of a job. Happens to a bunch of guys I know to.

Just got on a plane with 2 SIU big wigs. Both in first class on Delta…

Contribute to SPAD so your great union leaders can fly 1st class!

Surprised they aren’t flying on a Learjet.