Secret Clearance

Are there any companies (besides MSC), where it benefits you to have a security clearance?

Are there any openings at those companies for bridge officers?

Off the top of my head Chouest , Hornbeck and Seaward Services for non-union. Not sure if they currently have openings for bridge officers though…

2 Likes

And whoever is currently running the MSC ships that are civilian, not MSC.

1 Like

Yup, and for union, I believe AMO is still the heavy hitter for MSC contracts.

Subcom through AMO got a nice raise

Seward services is advertising for mates. Hornbeck and Chouest I believe have openings but I do not know if they are specifically for government contracted vessels, Patriot has job openings on the MMP open board right now. All the government contractors usually hire like crazy and always need people. The only exception is probably the Chouest national science foundation Antarctic vessels that I heard are tough to get on.

Here are some outfits that require or prefer gov security clearance

Seward Services- private
Hornbeck- private
Chouest- private
UICGS and Bowhead - private
Patriot contract services - MMP
USMMI (Maersk) - AMO
TOTE- AMO
Ocean Shipholdings- AMO
Crowley gov services - AMO

3 Likes

Keystone - MEBA

Keystone only has ROS vessels unless they recently bid successfully on something else.

Oh, almost forgot… Stabbert Maritime has a couple and Oceaneering has some govt contracts too. Though I believe you need TS/SCI for the Oceaneering boats.

1 Like

MARAD & MSC still want deck officers ROS & FOS to have Secret security clearances.

Absolutely. I guess I just assumed @Thailor was asking about / wanting to work on active vessels not ROS ones.
In that case you could also included Matson that I believe also has ROS contracts on the west coast.

Whats the process for.secret security clearances for these.companys? I saw PSQ mentioned on the MSC Civmar page.

Each company will have an administrator that takes care of clearance applications.
You’ll be pre-screened and then you will have to fill out SF-86, then undergo a long investigation process and an in person interview with a contract counterintelligence agent.
It’s an arduous and expensive process, start to finish can take up to a year or more, on average more like 9 months, there’s a chance that the company will screen you out and also a chance you won’t be cleared by the contract investigator.
They may also interview your family, neighbors or friends as needed.

1 Like

When I was in the military, I already had a Secret clearance and it still took nearly a year to upgrade to a TS/SCI. I heard from people I hadn’t seen in years that were interviewed during my background check.

It sounds like the OP already has a clearance, but here’s a bit of advice for those who don’t, if you even remotely think you may apply for one in the future.

Do yourself a big favor and keep a running log of every address where you’ve lived or received mail, every phone number, basically any and all contact information attached to your name as well as the names and contact information for neighbors and friends. The sf86 application for a clearance covers at least the last 10 years of your life and having this already compiled will be a big help, as any gaps in your history are red flags for the investigating agency.

Also, do not lie or try to cover up ANYTHING, no matter how insignificant. Sometimes guys think something in their past will keep them from getting a clearance and therefore the job. Trust me, the investigation will uncover it and, while the issue itself may not have been the deal killer the applicant thought it was, the attempt at deception definitely will be. The surest way to be denied a clearance is to be caught lying.

A one-time minor negative issue from an applicant’s past can be dealt with. Lying, however, goes to an individual’s character. When one lie is discovered, it will be assumed that there are others as well, and there goes any possibility of a clearance.

3 Likes

I was in the US Navy 1965-1993, with my last two tours on staff duty in Norfolk, VA. Held TS/SCI clearance on/off (mostly on) from the late '70s.

I was due for a five-year periodic background investigation, was married, and involved in an affair with a senior enlisted naval reservist. She was also due for an update investigation, and we discussed what to do. As Doggy_Daddy noted, best to be open and honest, so that was what we did. I have to say it was a difficult day when a female agent wearing a crucifix on a necklace came to my office to interview me.

Yes, my clearance and access were renewed, but not until I had to sit down with the command’s Security Officer a month or so later.

One other thing to consider in a secret clearance is your credit rating. Bad credit is not good for obvious reasons. Secret is not that hard to get, about 1.5 million have it last I heard so the bar is low. It is kind of a low level clearance. Just be honest