Security Clearances

Hi guys,
I understand that MSC requires security clearances for its mariners, on another thread I saw that their Chief Mates and Captains are required to obtain a Top Secret clearance.
With this in mind, I began to wonder (due to the high amount of government contracted blue water vessels) how many companies also require similar clearances. On MLL’s website, I saw the following:
[I]“Due to the number of vessels under MLL’s operation, the unions strive to consistently satisfy MLL’s crewing requirements – providing dedicated assistance for challenging situations. MLL requests mariners from the unions as needs are identified. New mariners are processed for proper documentation,[B] security clearances[/B], medical fitness, and training.”
[/I]
Do lots of blue water companies require clearances? What about government contracted vessels carrying food aid? What are your experiences?

[QUOTE=MandolinGuy;134261]Hi guys,

[/I]
Do lots of blue water companies require clearances? What about government contracted vessels carrying food aid? What are your experiences?[/QUOTE]

No - this is generally limited to companies operating under Dept of Defense contracts. It is not common elsewhere.
You fill out some papers, turn them in to them’s that are askin’ and as long as you are not a demonstrable moron, you will eventually get a security clearance.

Some commercial operators will do a more detailed background check for employees in sensitive positions. I suppose this is the same for similar responsible positions on land. No news here folks. Move along.

Thanks! I got my TS yanked by doncaf some years ago in the navy due to foreign “contacts” (more like family) and was trying to figure out what I’ll be up against.