Why would you need a security clearance - Conf/Secret to work on a merchant ship?

Strange huh?

Not really when you consider that some of them work pretty closely with/for the military.

Even if you are not assigned to a govt. contract vessel the company may require you to have it. This way HR has a pool of pre cleared employees to satisfy crewing needs.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;75561]Even if you are not assigned to a govt. contract vessel the company may require you to have it. This way HR has a pool of pre cleared employees to satisfy crewing needs.[/QUOTE]

Ya know that’s really smart.

Our Gov Division pays less, allot less from what I hear.

Ours pays 10% above regular OSV day rates. To listen to them talk it sounds like they cure cancer on those boats.

I used to work on a ATB that hauled coal into a power plant. At that plant they had 2 nuclear reactors, after 9-11 everybody that went into that plant had to get a FBI security clearance.

Also now on the ROV and dive boats we have done several salvage jobs for the military and everybody that is on one of those gigs has to have a security clearance as well.

Hauling coal to a nuke plant?

[QUOTE=Wolfesown47th;75634]Hauling coal to a nuke plant?[/QUOTE]

It was a power plant that had 4 coal systems, 2 that burned HFO, and also 2 nukes in the same facility. They very rarely used the HFO for some reason. I think it was emissions, they were always mixing different grades of coal to get just under the threshold were the EPA would not fine them. They run the nukes 24/7, and would start and stop the coal plants as needed. They talked for years about switching the HFO units to LNG, but I don’t think they ever did.

Well i got mine! (security clearance) Now I can see all that double-aught spy stuff.

Also I thought the TWIC covered that stuff???

No, msc requires an actual federal government security clearance. The TWIC is just a background check.