3/M Debating where to go, AMO MSC Contract Vessels Or MM&P MSC Contract Vessels

So,

I’m currently Sailing with Military Sealift Command and looking to get out. The plan so far is to go union. Problem is I feel like I can’t get a straight answer out of anyone in regards to which union is preferable, Lots of union cool-aid I suppose. In any case seeing as I have a plethora of specialized certs from MSC I think i’d like to go over to the Govt. contract side of things. At first glance it appears that AMO has more ships fitting this category. MM&P has a few LMSR vessels through Patriot. I hear MM&P has a hard time getting people re-certed and an even harder time getting reliefs out to these ships. On the other hand I’ve heard that AMO is better about reliefs but pays way less. Whats the deal?

Any information would be a huge help. The good, the bad, and the ugly I need to hear it all.

Thanks guys!

-Big John

It seems that you already know the deal. I think your analysis is correct. There are required training matrix for the companies within those unions. Have a look, you may not be as prepared to sail for them as you think. WRT to wherever you work, in the end it’s usually “same shit, different day.” If you do leave MSC, do it after the level of Chief Mate to put yourself into a more exclusive talent pool.

Stay where you are. AMO is losing contracts left and right. MSC is a lot of BS but at least it’s a steady job.

problem is i need a schedule so it would seem union is going ta better option than MSC

How long are you getting stuck out there right now? Anywhere close to the suggested 4 months on, that they advertise?

I would like to know also. Last posts I’ve read said 1-2 months off a year. Sometimes no relief. What’s it like now?

Getting relieved is hit or miss. I haven’t ever been terribly overdue but a relief date is never something I could rely on (planning for say for attending a wedding or holiday). I’ve sailed with some guys as much as 2 months overdue. Sometimes you’ll go down to va to pick up a job and end up waiting around for a month or two before you get one. As far as leave goes your only allowed one month. The only way to get more time off is to finagle with your medical leave and get doctors appointments. Its a huge Hassle.

• Updated - - -

Ehh I’ve only been overdue as late as two weeks, however I’ve sailed with guys that were two months overdue. The biggest problem is you do not know when your relief is going to show. You generally only get a 24-48hr heads up that relief is headed your way, so it makes planning things impossible. getting off during the summer time and around christmas is also notoriously backed up and un reliable.Then you throw in only having a month off and it just seems like i could do better.

• Updated - - -

Ehh I’ve only been overdue as late as two weeks, however I’ve sailed with guys that were two months overdue. The biggest problem is you do not know when your relief is going to show. You generally only get a 24-48hr heads up that relief is headed your way, so it makes planning things impossible. getting off during the summer time and around christmas is also notoriously backed up and un reliable.Then you throw in only having a month off and it just seems like i could do better.

At N.E.O. it was stated that one is only obligated to work two 4 month hitches per year. Your detailer is a clerk, not your boss. Don’t bend over.

1 Like

I work MMP and just pulled a 4 month hitch on the LMSRs. Believe me, no one had trouble getting relieved. My relief date came and went without a problem.

The AMO guys out there with us on other vessels were terribly underpaid and it is rumored their pension plan has been frozen since 2008, something I’d beware of. They also aren’t well known for transparency…

My two cents.

[QUOTE=empiresix;154090]So,

I’m currently Sailing with Military Sealift Command and looking to get out. The plan so far is to go union. Problem is I feel like I can’t get a straight answer out of anyone in regards to which union is preferable, Lots of union cool-aid I suppose. In any case seeing as I have a plethora of specialized certs from MSC I think i’d like to go over to the Govt. contract side of things. At first glance it appears that AMO has more ships fitting this category. MM&P has a few LMSR vessels through Patriot. I hear MM&P has a hard time getting people re-certed and an even harder time getting reliefs out to these ships. On the other hand I’ve heard that AMO is better about reliefs but pays way less. Whats the deal?

Any information would be a huge help. The good, the bad, and the ugly I need to hear it all.

Thanks guys!

-Big John[/QUOTE]

Something to consider: Stacy at MSC until you have enough seatime to obtain second mate and master 1600; then go to the tugs. Lots of new ATBs being built. There are tug companies that will put you on as an extra for a month and help you get through TOAR. You can get a schedule and make much more than AMO, but probably a bit less than MMP Deepsea.

1 Like

Good to know… On a side note there has to be a ton of propaganda between the unions because i heard from an AMO sailor the same thing about MM&P LMSRs. Once your in the LMSR pipeline do you always go out on those ships on a set schedule? Or are you going into the hall for work?

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;154255]At N.E.O. it was stated that one is only obligated to work two 4 month hitches per year. Your detailer is a clerk, not your boss. Don’t bend over.[/QUOTE]

Well i can assure you that what “they” said at NEO does not reflect reality…

[QUOTE=tugsailor;154290]Something to consider: Stacy at MSC until you have enough seatime to obtain second mate and master 1600; then go to the tugs. Lots of new ATBs being built. There are tug companies that will put you on as an extra for a month and help you get through TOAR. You can get a schedule and make much more than AMO, but probably a bit less than MMP Deepsea.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! 2nd mate paper work is in and begging the office for my TOAR

[QUOTE=empiresix;154309]Thanks! 2nd mate paper work is in and begging the office for my TOAR[/QUOTE]

At you license level, you need 30 days as an “observer” on tugs. If you can get the TOAR at the same time great. If not, you can take a short TOAR course at Diamond Marine Services in New York. It doesn’t matter what order you get it in, so you could take the TOAR course first, which would probably make it easier to get the 30 days of observer time.

Even though the USCG does not require it, some of the tug companies, especially the ones operating ATBs prefer: academy grads, second mate unlimited, and Master 1600, along with the STCW course that you must already have.

If you interested in ATBs, it would help to take a Tankships DL course.

I wouldn’t say that there is any shortage of tugboat mates, but there may be a shortage of good mates, at least in some areas.

[QUOTE=empiresix;154306]Good to know… On a side note there has to be a ton of propaganda between the unions because i heard from an AMO sailor the same thing about MM&P LMSRs. Once your in the LMSR pipeline do you always go out on those ships on a set schedule? Or are you going into the hall for work?[/QUOTE]

Unless something is radically different with that contract, only Capt and C/M are permanent. 2/m and 3/m are OTB. Just bear in mind that MSC can change a ship from FOS to ROS at the drop of a hat, regardless of whom is manning it. Bye bye jr mates and hello slashed vacation wages for Capt and C/M.

The MOU specifically states that the only permanent positions are Master and Chief Mate. However, due to lack of properly MSC certified/trained officers these jobs are very easy to take off the board (or “reclaim”) for 2nd and 3rd Mate positions. The man I relieved was the man who came back to relieve me, and he did so with no challengers at the union hall for the job.